|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> hot passenger floor on ford e450

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
kopy kat

reno, nv

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/05 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife has comented on the floor being exessively hot (warm?) under her feeton the passenger side--is this common with the ford e450 chasis? any one have a cure? Thanks,Larry

2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"

driveby

Vancouver BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/05 10:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yup. had the same issue last week and have heard others. Only fix I've read here about is to remove the carpet, install jute insulation with foil backing and reinstall carpet. Not sure details, but do a search and I'm pretty sure somebody posted some better detail. Good thing my wife is never too hot. [emoticon]

2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Class A
1997 TJ Sahara, hard and soft tops and AC
Held together via Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar and stopped by US Gear Unified Brake system.

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/05 11:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know about E450, but make sure it is not an exhaust leak. If it is the stupid placement of the catalitic converter, wrap the stupid thing with aspestos or whatever Uncle Sam lets us buy these days. Most converters have a heat shield. Do NOT wrap between converter and shield, but between shield and floor. Did it on old car and it worked great.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Puckman

S.Cal/Mass.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/05 11:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do as driveby recommended but do not put it under the carpet lay it on top. Works just as well,alot less work and carpet stays clean. Enjoy a pleasant fall camping.

minnie26a

Hartford, CT

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/05 03:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My little dog loves to lay on the floor - she gets so warm she starts to boil but is too stupid to realize it...so, my wife has to pick her up from time to time and put her in front of the a/c vent to cool her off....then shes goes right back down and heats up again!

2006 Keystone Outback 21RS
2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Baurer 5.4L
Equal-i-zer hitch
Kipor KGE3000TI generator

BWhite

Metrowest,Ma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/05 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, I have measured 100-105 degrees with my infrared thermometer . I would think an open weave thick floor mat would be a help .

Bill and Patti
Gizmo a Black face Tri-color PWC
Laci a Red and White PWC
'06 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40E
'10 Hyundai Elantra Touring Coupe
Member Fans of Revolution Group, ,FMCA,CAT RV Engine Owners Club

Agrnbrt

NJ, U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/05 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

minnie26a wrote:

My little dog loves to lay on the floor - she gets so warm she starts to boil but is too stupid to realize it...so, my wife has to pick her up from time to time and put her in front of the a/c vent to cool her off....then shes goes right back down and heats up again!

I absolutely loved that statement. Our cats are the same way. Sometimes even with the fire. I watch and wait for them to spontaneously burst into flames before I have to move them.

08 Jayco Eagle Super Lite.
07 Chevrolet 2500HD Classic. Reese 16k hitch & S/C tailgate.
Camping with: 1 Wife(Teri)
4 cats, Trouble(the Stynx),Seamus O'Fuzz(Buddha Kitty),Minx(tailless Buddha Kitty)& Bubba(the Love Sponge)
Oh yeah, one Sig P220 .45 acp.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/05 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK - as the "local expert" on hot feet....LOL!!! After many rides with my feet tucked into the map pocket on the door, I decided to figure out WHY it was so darn hot?? (Hubby just thought I was being "whiny")

Boy, was he surprised when I took apart the MH!!! If you remove the doghouse (I also had removed the passenger seat), you will find the exhaust manifold is about 1" away from the metal floor on the passenger side. In my case, there wasn't any insulation between the
carpet and the floor, so it heated up pretty darn fast.

First (and in hindsight, I'd do this "fix" with the second step first) - I bought the doghouse insulation package from Camping World. There was more than enough material to add insulation to the doghouse; and the floor (under the carpet) around the doghouse/under the passenger seat, etc. This helped a ton!!! I didn't notice the heat until an epic 14-hour day of traveling...

By then, I had been given a link to a website named koolmat.com - they will custom-make you a NASCAR quality heat shield, rated to 2500 degrees, that you install over the manifold with a couple of 26" stainless steel tie straps. I ordered a piece 10" wide by 5" long; it's rather flexible and can be molded to fit over the manifold nearest the floor. In retrospect, I think this would have fixed the problem in the first place - without the doghouse insulation.

One word of caution - Have someone help you install this!!!!! Normally, I do this type of puttering on my own - but Hubby just happened to be nearby to see why the stainless strap had become "stuck" - it had shorted out against the starter solenoid and the frame - and was glowing red-hot between these two points!!!! So once it was cooled off, (and my heart rate had returned to normal...LOL!!) I fed the strap downward and around the manifold and shield, and he was underneath, guiding it back up. Took about 2 minutes, minus the drama.

I'll know for sure how well it works in a few weeks, during another epic travel-thon; but I'm pretty certain the problem is solved for good, this time!

Deb

Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
2001 Rockwood Premier 1904 Popup Camper
I never know what we'll be pulling it with!

sneaks

Encinitas CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/05 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

By then, I had been given a link to a website named koolmat.com - they will custom-make you a NASCAR quality heat shield, rated to 2500 degrees, that you install over the manifold with a couple of 26" stainless steel tie straps. I ordered a piece 10" wide by 5" long; it's rather flexible and can be molded to fit over the manifold nearest the floor. In retrospect, I think this would have fixed the problem in the first place - without the doghouse insulation.

Did this installation require removing the doghouse and the passenger seat for installation? Could it have been installed from below instead?

Sounds like a great fix, and you're the second "Deb" I've come across who isn't afraid to dig into the guts of a vehicle. A rare find indeed.

Don

MommaJo

Mossyrock, WA--Yuma, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/05 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband took the front of the dash off, and made a hole in the vent in the middle, put a piece of vacuum hose in it, running down the side of the dog house under the dash.

This way, the vent can blow down there, or the air conditioner when it's on. I hated that the air conditioner only blew out on top, and not toward that hot, hot, floor. I also installed a rug over the dog house with hot glue, and that helped when my leg touched it.

These two simple things, made all the difference in the world.

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> hot passenger floor on ford e450
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS