RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: nanco tires??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> nanco tires??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
wiretheboat

merritt island fl.

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/05 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just got our new 06 Zeppelin 291 in July and wondering if nanco tires on it are any good? Got the tire plan with purchase or should I dump the plan and just get different tires? Thanks for your reply's

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/05 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO check the DOT code to see where they were made. Then decide.

Personally I do not use Chinese tires.

DOT Code, Tires
Example from a tire: DOT MA L9 ABCD 036
DOT is Dept of Transportation,
MA is Mfg Plant Code (see http://www.harriger.com/exptire.htm),
L9 is a tire size code,
ABCD is optional manufacturer info,
036 is mfg date (in this case third week of some year ending in 6, but not 2006)
The newer tires are using 4 digits, the first 2 = the week and the last 2 = the year,
For example 4202 = 42nd week of 2002.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Kenneth

Washington, the state

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/05 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Goodyear Marathon tires have been reliable, but they aren't very round. If you get some, let the tire shop know that you will be watching. I'm an engineer, and I want everything that rotates to be balanced. Trailer tires usually aren't balanced, 'cuz no body rides there so nobody squawks about the shake. Most trailer wheels are cheaply made with the center pilot hole punched out somewhere near the true center, not machined in the actual center. These wheels need to be balanced using a lug-centric adapter on the balancing machine.

If the tire shop gives you any guff, take your business elsewhere. I also prefer metal valve stems...I've had cheapo rubber valve stems crack and leak.

Ken

I'm free of prostate cancer for 5 years now.
All men over age 50 should get an annual PSA blood test. Mine had a low reading, but the yearly jump was significant. The biopsy showed cancer just entering the aggressive stage. Dr. Hackenslash removed it.

WesternNC

Western NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/05 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those tires are made by Tireco. Tireco makes the following brands:

Freestar, Geostar, Milestar, Nanco, Nankang

There are several posts about these tires. I would read all of the posts and make your own decision.

Myself,Beautiful Wife, Two great Kids!
2008 Heartland Sundance 3300 BHS
2006 Dodge 3500 4X4 Mega Cab Cummins Turbo Diesel
Prodigy Brake Control/18K Draw Tite Singature Hitch W/ Slider

wiretheboat

merritt island fl.

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/05 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just read other topics and it looks like I want the Goodyear marathons before I take a long trip. I will call my dealer and see if they will do anything for me as I bought the tire warrenty.

wiretheboat

merritt island fl.

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/05 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

looks like DOT ONKC TCI ST205/75D14 NANCO

Kenneth

Washington, the state

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/05 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Personally, I'd buy Chinese made before General.
I prefer to buy American if the quality is there, but there are some top quality tires from China these days. Toyo's #2 passenger car tire is from a Chinese factory, and I trust Toyo. There are also some tires from China where the importer ordered cheap tires...and got cheap tires of comensurate quality.

Ken

Nascar24

Blackstone Valley, Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/05 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi

Anyone have any comments on General Tire's , American Series Trailer tires? Thats whats on my new trailer, I'm dissapointed that there load range "C", Planning on replacing them with Load Range "D".

Good Luck and Happy Trails
2002 Dodge 2500 4X4 CC,SRW,CTD
2008 Cross Roads Cruiser XT30SB Cross Force Toy Hauler
Nascar24 A lengend in my own mind, A Scary thought in someone else's!

stev in niagara

Niagara Falls

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/05 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Ken.

I had/have a set of four Nanco tires. They came on the used TT I now have in the signature. The last four years prior to our purchase, the trailer sat parked in the back yard along the garage on a rather clean, nice location on concrete on those Nanco tires covered from the elements.

The tires seemed just fine for the first season. When we planned a trip over 50 miles, I started looking for a spare. The spare tire size needed to match the load, tire size and have parallel tread design, but the OD tire size was critical too. If tires are mis-matched beyond 0.2" in OD of tire size, irregular wear and trailer tracking would occur. An industrial/product engineer at my work, who once worked for Dunlop Tire Co on Grand Island, NY, pointed out many of the things a person should look out for in a trailer tire.

Currently, I have Duro's on the TT and use the China made Nanco tires as the spares. Tires are not cheap, so this seems to be a good use for them. I have read pro's and con's about the Nanco tires in these and other forums. Mostly not good news either. However, people will write about a problem first than comment often about something good.

If you want peace of mind and a very good trailer tire, opt for the Michelin's. I would have done that myself, but they do not make a 13" trailer tire. Only 14-15-16" sizes are offered. Pass on the Nanco's tire plan.

In a few instances, I have read here on the fourms, a person would not take delivery of their TT unless the new Carilse tires were replaced with another major brand trailer tire. Of course in both cases, the people payed the difference in the tire price. This could be an option for you if you can inquire at the place of purchase.

Hope this helps.

Stev

2000 Dodge B1500 V6 3.9L 3.55 tow 4500 RoadMaster MKII-XF
2001 Dodge B2500 V8 5.2L 3.92 tow 8000 RoadMaster MKII-XXF
Reese AccuPower Pilot Digital Brake Controller
1982 Coachmen Cadet 19-1/2 3000-lbs

Oldfordman

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/05 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nascar24 wrote:

Hi

Anyone have any comments on General Tire's , American Series Trailer tires? Thats whats on my new trailer, I'm dissapointed that there load range "C", Planning on replacing them with Load Range "D".
General Tire has a fairly long and not too distinguished reputation for making tires that separate and fall apart long before their time. I used to work for a Tire Company that had their House Brand made by General because, at the time, nobody else had manufacturing capacity. Try warranty rates in excess of 20%. Finally ended up with a total recall of some models and a multi-million $$ settlement. Is this enough on the subject of General Tire.

BTW, they are now owned by Continental but the product quality has not changed a great deal. Still a so-so tire. Personally, I'd buy Chinese made before General.

Life is full of choices. I choose to have fun!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> nanco tires??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS