RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: DISSATISFIED CARRIAGE CUSTOMER ** With photos ***(pg 6)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> DISSATISFIED CARRIAGE CUSTOMER ** With photos ***(pg 6)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Next
Sponsored By:
travelrn

florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/05 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In April of 2003, my husband and I purchased a Carriage Carri-Lite XTRM5 fifth wheel with the full body paint job. It WAS beautiful until we began to notice what appears to be bubbling in the paint. It started on the cargo doors, but is now appearing on the entry door and on the passenger side of the unit. My husband called Carriage and spoke to Roger. He said they have had problems with the paint on the cargo doors, but that he had not seen this occur elsewhere and asked my husband to e-mail photos. The following week we were informed by Roger that Carriage would not take care of this problem because we were seven months outside of the warranty period. When I said I wanted to speak to someone else and asked him for the name of his boss he replied " I will not be able to refer you to anyone else because I was hired to make these decisions." I informed him I did not want a referral, just the name of his boss. I spoke to Jeff Miller CEO of Carriage who informed me that Rogers decision stands. I was told that we had a contract (warranty) for two years, after that Carriage in not responsible.
In my opinion, if Carriage knew they had a problem with the paint on the cargo doors they should have a moral obligation the fix this problem. Does customer service end with the warranty?

* This post was edited 11/29/05 11:15am by travelrn *

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/05 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sure does sound thay way,with all the problems from bad work they would go broke trying to fix it all

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

fill

Lancaster, Ca. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/05 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Write a FRIENDLY letter to the CEO. Explain the situation, and how his employees have handled it thus far. (Possibly find his name on the website, or the owner’s manual). Mail it to him directly, and write “PERSONAL” on the envelope.
Fill
’97 Ford F-250 HD (460ci, Banks Power Pak, Redi-Kamp Tow Conversion)
’03 Kit Companion
Good Sam (+ERS), Escapees, Thousand Trails, NACO, PassPort America,
GWRRA

avan

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/05 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you miss the fact that she'd already called and talked to the CEO and he blew her away? She doesn't need to look up his name - she even listed it in her post. Only one side of the story but it sounds plausible and if so, represents the worst of customer no-service.

Pics on pg 6

* This post was edited 11/30/05 07:36am by avan *

Winnebago 30C Aspect
Saturn Vue
My 2016 Summer Trip

pkjr

Relaxing somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/05 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post your product's paint pictures, and we'll provide prompt plans for your problem.

Pete

ksiceman

Here in Kansas I think

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/05 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think implied merchantability would apply here. The product you buy has a reasonable expectation of durability and longevity. If the product cannot perform as it is designed, I would think legal remedy might apply. It is now time for you to write the company expressing your concerns so you have a documentation trail. In other words, ask again in writing and I would be sure to include that a paint job should last more than two years as well as information regarding the cargo doors Carriage has admitted.

If your response is ignored, write again with a deadline then contact an attorney. I would also go out ASAP and take lots of pictures both digital and conventional. You might also call Carriage prior to sending a letter and ask them what brand and type of paint they use (so you can match the paint exactly [emoticon] ) then send notice to that mfr that their product is about to be involved in a civil action. They may put some pressure on Carriage.

Another option: Paint it Yellow, put some dimples on it and huge lettering.

I had a Jayco five years out of warranty and the factory stepped up to the plate and fixed a rotted floor that was attributed to defective cargo door installation. I would buy another Jayco and wish I would have. Bet you don't buy another Carriage.

2006 F350
2004 Keystone Mountaineer 297RKS

"With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"

JRC

Rancho Cucamonga CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/05 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently went through a similar situation with Carriage involving an improperly installed front cap. The front cap of the trailer was only held to the trailer frame by 5 screws. Yes only 5 went through both the front cap and the side of the frame. All the molding screws were intact and the only thing holding it to the frame was sealant and these 5 screw. I was first told at the dealer that I bought my trailer from that the Cap was cut to short and that they estimated a cost of approximately $7500.00 to fix. I contacted Carriage as you are doing with your paint problem and was put in contact with their Warranty dept. After being told I was on my own because the warranty had expired I contacted Carriages Vice President Of Sales. and he directed me to another carriage dealer in my area. The problem was reevaluated and found to be improperly installed. They confirmed after removing the molding strip and that only 5 screws held the cap in place. I had to have it repaired and paid for the entire repair out of pocket which was $901.00 After several e-mails and a conversations with the CEO it was determined that the warranty dept. would have the final say. I was even cautioned by the CEO as watch what I say on this website.

Here is a an e-mail responses I received from carriage. " Because we are mortal humans, sometimes manufacturing defects can occur. If something was not installed correctly, that is a manufacturing defect. That is what the warranty agreement is for. However the agreement is for two years. We would like to warrant for four or five years, or even more, but that is not our agreement. We are sorry, warranty is declined".

I tried to tell them that this was not a warranty problem, but a SAFETY PROBLEM, but they did not want to hear from me any further on this matter.

I feel your pain. I still like my trailer I just hope nothing else was improperly installed.

1999 Dodge 2500 QC CTD manual 5 speed
2001 Carriage Cameo LXI F27RKS

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/05 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I friend of mine bought a dodge dump truck the rear end went out, the dealer pulled it apart and screwed up the housing and would not make it good for a new rear end, he put a big sign up with a lemon on it and parked in front of the dealer ship on public street, they tried everything to get him to move it but fix there mistake, took all summer and they lost some business over it they finally did the right thing and make it good,

floridacamper

Tallahassee, Fl,/ Robbinsville N.C.

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/05 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could you please post those photos that your husband sent them.

CLICK HERE FOR PHOTO ALBUM

crickeydog

Marietta, Ga.

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/05 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear about your troubles with Carriage. I thought Carriage was a class act and I'm surprised they haven't stepped up to the plate on this and others. Thanks for your post. Our next 5er decision has been narrowed down to "one" now since we've eliminated Carriage from our possibilities. My wife wants a Teton and I was holding out for a Carriage. We'll be going to Wyoming for our next 5er.

Good luck!!![emoticon]

USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 24  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> DISSATISFIED CARRIAGE CUSTOMER ** With photos ***(pg 6)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS