|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Trickle charger on batterys In my motor home

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
K3BH

Slower Lower Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/05 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After managing to discharge my two chassis batteries twice, I got a "smart" charger for maintaining the chassis batteries (the coach batteries are hooked to a PD9160 with Charge Wizard).

The important point is that a "trickle" charger will typically keep on charging the battery and you can lose water, whereas the smart ones and the maintainers will apply a charge as necessary but not charge when the battery is at the appropriate level. I got my 1.5 amp charger at Wally World for about $17 and leave it plugged in to the chassis all the time. I plug the other end in a 120V outlet in the MH since it's on shore power. The unit has two lights for "charging" and "charged," so it's easy to keep an eye on it when I walk by the MH.

Jay

Jay, Susan, 2 cats in Bigfoot 29G 6.0L PSD. Toad Saturn Ion. SMI-Brake Silent Partner Stay-in-Play. Demco baseplate & tow bar.

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/05 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dario wrote:

Minnie 26A
I just purchased a Battery MInder and I have it hooked up to my Coach battery and it is also charging and De-sulfuring the Chassis battery at the same time. Just as I hoped it would do. I have been keeping an eye on both batteries with a Volt meter to make sure that everything is charging OK and there is a float charge of 13.2 Both are charging at the same Volts even though one is a deep cycle and the other is a starting battery. It seems to me that my Isolator is opening up when it senses charging but will close if it senses a draw from either battery as I believe it is the way it should work to.

Interesting - my isolator does not seem to work this way. If the isolator did do this, you would have to leave the battery disconnect switch on for it to work. Loosing power or getting unplugged on my rig would run the battery quickly dead for the house battery in this scenerio.

* This post was edited 12/23/05 10:58am by HiTech *

B-Plus

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/05 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HiTec, I have heard of some units where the RV chassis and Coach batteries have to be charged separately, I don't know why, because when my chassis is running both the coach and chassis battery are being charged from the alternator and vice versa when my generator is on or I am plugged into 120 V , my converter charges both my chassis and coach batteries. It seems to me that the Battery Minder charger is working just like when my converter is charging both coach and chassis battery. On some units where the converter is not able to charge the coach and chassis battery ,than I can see where the Battery Minder would not charge the chassis battery if it is hooked up to the Coach battery. Why does this seem odd to you? My isolator opens up when anything is charging either coach or chassis battery and shuts off if it detects a draw from either so that only one battery will go dead. Isn't that how it's suppose to work? If it's wrong I don't think that I am going to change it because it is doing just what I want it to do. Maybe my Unit is different than some others because I have Intelllitec battery Control Center on my B-Plus that has a Battery isolator hooked up in line with a battery disconnect relay and everything seems to be working correctly.

2003 6.0 Chev Trail-lite B-Plus 225
2007 6.0 Chev 170 Roadtrek ( Daily Driver )
1976 Corvette

Camelot Mike

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/05 03:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Redneck wrote:

Camelot Mike wrote:

Big Redneck wrote:

My Motor Home has two batterys In the front on my Cummins Dodge motor home and If I put the trickle charger on one of the batterys will It charge both batterys?I never done this on the motor home before.Now I know the battery In the rear I will half to charge It by Itself I think.Any of you ever done this before?

I love those Scottys with the Cummins engine, is yours great?
We sure like ours. I love the cummins I have 2 of them and would not trade for all the tea In China.It gets 14mpg running hard I keep It IN the garage all clean up out of the weather.

I believe it, too bad they don't make them anymore.
A guy I spoke to who owned one told me that the Scotty factory burned down and they never recovered.
What a shame.
You better be nice to that one, you won't be able to replace it.
Good luck with it.
I think it is a high quality buggy.

Mike, Wendy, and our mongrels, Nellie, Sarah, and Tristan.
2005 Monaco Camelot 38 PDQ, 400 Cummins ISL, 6 speed Allison.
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 6 speed.

rbrown276

N.J.

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/05 06:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my batteries keep going down ?????????

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/05 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dario wrote:

HiTec, I have heard of some units where the RV chassis and Coach batteries have to be charged separately, I don't know why, because when my chassis is running both the coach and chassis battery are being charged from the alternator and vice versa when my generator is on or I am plugged into 120 V , my converter charges both my chassis and coach batteries. It seems to me that the Battery Minder charger is working just like when my converter is charging both coach and chassis battery. On some units where the converter is not able to charge the coach and chassis battery ,than I can see where the Battery Minder would not charge the chassis battery if it is hooked up to the Coach battery. Why does this seem odd to you? My isolator opens up when anything is charging either coach or chassis battery and shuts off if it detects a draw from either so that only one battery will go dead. Isn't that how it's suppose to work? If it's wrong I don't think that I am going to change it because it is doing just what I want it to do. Maybe my Unit is different than some others because I have Intelllitec battery Control Center on my B-Plus that has a Battery isolator hooked up in line with a battery disconnect relay and everything seems to be working correctly.

I would have thought it would work this way too. I guess I need to learn how the particular isolators used in Class C's work. Maybe mine has some kind of enabler line from the ignition??

But regardless, I prefer to leave my house battery disconnected. Once when plugged in with the disconnect switch on in storage, a security guard pulled the plug to my rig. This caused the battery to drain over the next few days from all the parasitic loads in the MH like the C02 detector. If this had happened in winter, my battery would have been frozen instead of just abused. I like to leave it disconnected now so it has no load, then put an external charger on it.

Jim

* This post was edited 12/23/05 10:28am by HiTech *

Big Redneck

Waynesburg,Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/05 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbrown276 wrote:

my batteries keep going down ?????????
Then you have a draw on them.It not hard to find but If you are not sure how to find just disconect the Neg. post and that will take care of It. Make sure your batterys are charge because they will freeze If not charged.If you take them Inside where It warm they will last longer also. This has been a very good post as to the valuable Information that has been posted. Thanks to all.

Wife bought me another Motor Home I guess she was tired of me crying.

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/05 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to this thread in tech issues, charging one battery in a Class C would not normally charge the other. I wonder what is going on in this case?

B-Plus

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/05 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hitec [quote]Great info. So for the Class C owner who believes that when he hooks his charger to just his house battery his engine battery charges, how would this be possible? Here is the thread with the specific example. You make it sound like I am delusional or imagining the situation that I have, but I have no choice but to believe my volt meter. I keep an eye on both batteries while charging just to make sure that one is not over charging as some have mentioned. It seems logical to me that if an Isolator closes and opens up for charging for an alternator or a converter why it wouldn't do it for a battery charger that is acting the same as an alternator or converter? Both of my batteries are at a float charge of 13.2 as should be with the Battery Minder Spec's tell me they should be. I did not check to see if they charge if I connect the Battery Minder to the Chassis battery because it works just fine the way it is. I have had them connected for about 3 weeks now and everything seems to be working fine. I am not an electrician and I have been known to do some pretty stupid things in the past and it sounds like you have more experience than me in electricity, you are making me nervous in what I am doing, should I disconnect the set-up before I burn my RV down or ruin something?

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

B-Plus

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/05 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hitec, My answer should not be in the Quote area, I couldn't figure out how to edit it sorry.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Trickle charger on batterys In my motor home
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS