|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class C question with Kids

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
jdrver

OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/05 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife kids dog and I are regular campers. Currently have truck and travel trailer combo. Working out good, just was wondering about eaiser travel and not having the hitch aspects to deal with. Was wondering if anyone has made this move with smaller kids, and had any likes or dislikes. It seems like the C would be easier as far as traveling goes and setup goes. But our trailer I feel has more room and storage once we are there. Wife and I are really hung on this decision.

Thanks,
Ohio campers

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/05 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A motorhome is much easier to travel in IMO. For us the vacation starts right when I pull out of the driveway. We have bathroom, snacks, microwave, beds, tv's and such all handy. I make better time in the motorhome since at many gas stops I am the only one the get out. No more potty stops that end up taking 30 minutes or more.

To set up, I pull in until I am level, pop out the slide, hook up the hoses and I am set up. Often it takes less than 5 minutes for a basic setup. A lot easier than my old SUV and trailers.

Driving is easier and more plesant too now, not towing anything. Most of the time I did not know the trailer was back there but occasionally it would wiggle around.

Doing laundry and shopping are easier since we just take the motorhome right to the place, and load or unload once instead of into a tow vehicle, then a second time into the camper.

With a 31' motorhome we have much more room than we did in out small trailers. Some 5th wheels have as much room.

Camping is different for us now - with a trailer we felt we needed to rush to a campground, dig in, then rush home. We did not set up a lot in between because of how long it took to set up and tear down. Now we often tour, stopping each place for a couple of days then moving on to the next. When we do dig in, we sometimes miss the convenience of a tow vehicle for exploring. Some Class Cers tow a toad for this. We just rent a car if we decide to stay in one place for a long time.

We also like not having to have an everyday vehicle large enough to tow a trailer. If you have one anyway there is no difference, but if you buy something bigger just to tow, you often pay for it in reduced fuel efficiency the rest if the time you use it. Often the cost of a tow vehicle and a trailer is equal or more than a Class C.

An advantage to a trailer is you have less money sitting around in the RV when not using it, and less maintenance since it has fewer moving parts.

* This post was edited 12/21/05 07:47pm by HiTech *

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/05 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

motor home is much easyer then towing a trailer,it you get one, get one big enought with a bed and not a fold out sofa to sleep on,the kids dont seem to mind it but my back does

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

Blacktop Boondocker

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/05 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had various rv rigs and so far, the class c is the best for us. HiTech nailed most of the issues, but here are a few more:
-I think it takes less time to get to our destination because of fewer stops
-Big disadvantage is not having a runabout vehicle when we arrive at a CG; we compensate by doing things along the way. Also, not having a runabout vehicle has, in some ways, forced us to be more sedentary and relax a bit more
-Kids LOVE the cabover bed area
-Wife will actually drive the thing, unlike a TT
-It's sleek and sexy (ok maybe a stretch here)

chasfm11

Dallas/Ft Worth Areas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/05 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started out by renting Class Cs and you might consider the same thing. Cruise America used to have a pretty affordable long weekend package that would allow you and your family to get "your feet wet" before you made a major purchase.

For transportation at a destination site, you could always call Enterprise. The cost of a few days rental is no where near what a tow bar/base place cost would be to tow something along. That said, I have a good friend who has a Coachman Leprechaun 32' Class C and he tows a Saturn station wagon - and a trailer of kayaks behind that.

2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36'DP Cummins 5.9, Allison 1000 5sp
2005 Saturn Vue Toad, Falcon2 Towbar, BrakeMaster Toad Brake

Travel Bill

Lincoln

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/05 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We upgraded from a travel trailer to a 31 ft. class C Jayco Granite Ridge. It was a great move. We were tired of the hassles of set-up and take down when visiting the great sites of this country.

We have 4 kids - the storage, ease of travel as compared to pulling a trailer, ability for the kids to use the bathroom, get snacks and watch movies when going down the road made travel sooo much more enjoyable and less stressful. We would never go back to a trailer.

coloradodave

Colorado Springs, CO, US

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/05 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As previous poster indicated, try renting one, sort of the try before you buy deal. We upgraded from a TT to a MH (class A), but we looked a lot at the C's as well. We just ended up getting a better deal on the A. We have tons more storage in the MH over the TT. Larger tanks (grey, fresh, black, gas, propane). So we can go farther between stops and refills. With two little kids, its nice to have the potty onboard, and not have to stop. Snacks/food/drinks are all real convenient, and we have seat belts on all seating areas, so we can move around to a comfy spot, sofa, dinette, chair. So far we haven't needed a toad yet, we take our bikes with us. Good luck with whatever you choose to get. But either way, we had fun with our TC, PU, TT, and now MH. All about spending time with the family.

'04 Coachmen Mirada 300QB
DH & DW
DS & DD
2 dogs

jdrver

OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/05 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have looked at a few on-line and like the ones with the bed in the back and the bunk over the cab. I really like the layouts with the couch and the dinette. My big thing for doing this would be ease of travel. Like having a generator for AC when traveling in summer with our 16 lb fito who would think she owns the thing.

altego

Hollywood Hills

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/05 11:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went from a tt to a class c with my kids and loved it. Although we liked the tt also. The class c just made it all easier

TXSKIBUM

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/05 11:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went from TT to Class C. Have a Quad Bunk Model. Works great while DW and i stay up and watch movies, kids are in bunks in the back. Lots of room easy to handle.

SUNSEEKER CREW
Andy (Dad), Twin Girls 11 yrs (Twinkies) One Boy 13 yrs (Monkey Boy)Tobey Mellow Yellow Lab
2006 Forest River Sunseeker 3100ss Quad Bunk V10
2010 Armada Titanium

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class C question with Kids
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS