|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Get Your Front End Aligned First

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
n5tc

Salado, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/06 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I realize that this subject has been beat to death, but maybe someone did not get the message.

I just took delivery at the factory on a brand new Class C on the E450 chassis. Having done this before, I scheduled a couple of days in the area checking out the coach before heading home. The front end was badly out of line and pulling strongly to the left. I took it to a knowledgeable front end shop and they found that it came from the factory way out of line. Also, the buhsings had to be replaced because the ones that Ford provides are not adjustable. The company that I bought the coach from footed the bill.

My recommendation. If you buy a coach, new or used, have the front end checked before you drive it very far.

Robert78121

Washington DC Area (NOVA)

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/06 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we bought our Damon Workhorse actually sent us a free alignment certificate for that very reason.

Washington DC Area (NOVA)

Camper: 2004 Damon Daybreak 3285 WorkHorse 8.1
Toad: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - BlueOx
Toy: 2012 Ninja 650 - Versa Haul VH-SPORT-RO

Spent three years full time, so I know a little about it.

Rivercabins

Northwest Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/06 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I also had the allignment done on our E450 with only 2300 miles on it & also had to replace the Ford bushings because they could not be adjusted enough to allign the front end, Earl at the Rivercabins.

Earl at the Rivercabins, 2002 Bigfoot 29 slide

BillyP

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/06 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would tend to believe that the Coach Mfg bought the chassis and built the unit and never thought about aligning after the unit was completed. The alignment can also be correct when the empty coach leaves the mgfr but the alignment can be way off after the coach is loaded.

05 Jayco Seneca 35GS/22k Kodiak/6.6 Duramax
04 Jeep Rubicon Automatic
SMI Silent Partner/BlueOx Aladdin
Billy & Sharon's RV Adventures

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/06 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our dealer really stressed loading up the then-new MH, filling the tanks, then getting it aligned.

When driving, it didn't "pull" - but felt "floaty" while going down our county roads - enough so that 45 mph was about as fast as I dared to drive :-)

After the loading/alignment, it tracks rock-solid. Feels like a very large SUV....LOL!

Deb

Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
2001 Rockwood Premier 1904 Popup Camper
I never know what we'll be pulling it with!

noe-place

Somerset, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/06 10:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I must be the luckiest owner in the world of an E450 as I have not had any steering, alignment or shock problems. Maybe I got that one-in-a-million unit that has everything in place. I hope so and continue to travel with all original equipment still in place except for replacing tire valves with the steel extensions.

skimox

Lake Keystone,Ok

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/06 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no jerry you got 2 in a million-
9500 miles and no problems and tires are nice and even.

2004 2450s Sunseeker E450 V10 w/slide and PT Cruiser Toad
Tow dolly and HWH hydraulic jacks
Retired?? but still have 4 bosses-wife & 3 Dachshunds

Greyeagle44F

Stratham NH USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/06 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours, purchased new, was right on the mark from the start...as indicated by now 15,000 miles with great handling and even tire wear.

It does happen.

The U.S. Military: "All gave some, some gave all."

The Ancient Aviator

2002 26Q Tioga, Michelin Sneakers, Front XPS, Rear LTX M/S, no chassis "gimmicks" (Wind Machine sold APR 2006...pushing my luck at 84 years and a high performance bird).

murffdog

Poughkeepsie, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/06 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 5000 miles I noticed my front tires wearing badly. $185.00 and rotating the tires using the new spare also, things are fine now at 18,000 miles.

Westronics

Redmond, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/06 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Front end alignments are a well-known issue with Ford E-450s (and 350s, too, I suppose, but am not 100% sure).

One should load up the rig and then see if it tracks true on a level surface - the middle lane of a divided highway with three-lanes on your side is best as you can ride right on the crown of the road.

If it pulls to either side when you let go of the steering wheel, it needs an alignment.

This has to do with Ford's design of the front end.

It is my understanding that Ford's warranty includes one initial front-end alignment. I do not know that for sure, but I do know that I did not pay for mine - whether it was actually Ford, Jayco, or Blade Chevrolet (my Jayco dealer) that picked up the tab for this I cannot say for sure as I never inquired.

2002 Jayco Greyhawk 24SS, Camera, ScanGauge, Inverter, Airtabs, Portabote, SeeLevel II, Tireman valves, Xatnrex Battery Monitor, Aero-flo vent, Trik-L-Start, XPS Rib, Chains, Lil' Stanker, Be kind to septic systems Ford: 1-800-444-3311. RV Tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Get Your Front End Aligned First
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS