|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Floor Construction and/or repair

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
davisherb

West Central MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/06 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone know how the floor is constructed? Have 89 Mobile Traveler 26' on E350 and floor is spongy and crunchy? How big of a job Carpet is clean and looks original. What will I find if I start tearing into it?

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/06 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm. If the carpet is clean on an '89, they may have done a lot of steam cleaning. Sounds like it has seen moisture if it is spongy.

joanne0012

Boston, MA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/06 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A *very* modest spongy and crunchy condition might be caused by an old foam carpet pad decaying after all these years, but it's more likely that the underflooring is made of wood and has water damage. You'll have to pull up the carpet to see what's going on underneath. Most carpeting is just stapled down; get some pliers, grab a corner of the carpeting, and pull carefully so you pull up the staples wtihout ripping the carpet.

Joanne

LouInNM

Las Cruces, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/06 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My rv (class C) has particle board. It has been re-carpeted (I think) so maybe that was installed when the carpeting went in. I know there is one section that is broken (just inside the door behind the cab) and it appears that it broke where two edges came together--BUT NOT OVER A JOIST. For the time being I've slipped a piece of 1/4 inch plywood over the damaged area and I'll work on finding a permanent solution later on.

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/06 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hard to say they all make them differant,mine had hardwood cross members that the floor was attached to,found that out when i found a water leak at the fresh water tank pulled it all out and replaced the floor it had chip board plywood flooring and hardwood oak cross members with steel frameing,cut out the bad stuff and replaced everything,and added more insulation at the same time,

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

debdaves

S W Poconos, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/06 02:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours was OSB with 1x2's for floor joists. The bottom 2 pics in 'adventures' show what it looked like upon removal of the linoleum.

BE BLESSED!
'02 Trailblazer 4.2, I-6, 3.42's '83 Shasta Friendship 16'
Retired Reservist, 26 yrs. AR-supply, NG-cook, AF-transports
Adventures

davisherb

West Central MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/06 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks.I think I'll just have to rip away and replace what is probably rotted OSB.Thanks to all!

Grillmeister

BBQ TOUR USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/06 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I re-carpeted my 1984 E-350, it has 1/2 inch regular plywood for flooring. It is secured to the frame with simple Phillips head sheet metal screws and their are several carriage bolts that go all the way down through to the outside for securing the holding tanks and steps ect. If it were me, depending how bad it is I would consider just removing the loose parts, patch it some and then cover it with new plywood. I couldn't imagine taking out all the cabinetry and trying to replace the whole thing like factory.

Maybe you will get lucky and it's just the padding like someone said.

Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

davisherb

West Central MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/06 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The results are in! Mobile Traveler had a better idea! The floor is in fine shape! It is constructed a several "sandwichs" laid side by side on the frame and attached very poorly with screws. Each sandwich is 7/16" OSB with a core of rigid foam laying on top of a skin of aluminum to outside. The crunching is from the edges of the sandwiches rubbing together as each moves up and down about 1/4". No wonder this company is out of business. I intendd to stiffen with steel underneath and skin with plywood then vinyl. Thanks to all.

Bill Hamilton

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/06 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never heard of anything like this.

2006 Safari Simba
Gone 2005 31W Fleetwod Tioga SL - Not my problem anymore!
1996 Jeep Cherokee Toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Floor Construction and/or repair
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS