|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 800 X 16.5

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
hogcaller

Lubbock, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/06 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone on here ever bought 800 X 16.5 tires and where did you get them? Is there a newer size that is the same thing. I have not been able to find them anywhere on the net. Thanks

1981 Chevy Honey

Redhauler

Weatherford, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/06 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well they should carry them at a tire store like Goodyear,Costco or Sams club if not they can order them.

04 MobileScout 412 SUT
98.5 Dodge Ram 3500 24v Qc DRW Cummins Turbo Diesel
Jake Brake,5spd(Modified) SouthBendClutch
03 Honda TRX 250ex
99 Yamaha Warrior
86 Honda TRX 250R
88 Honda TRX 250 R
SUT Interior
25k Air Ride Hitch
Novelist Lori Wilde

KOG

Winterville GA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/06 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can also hunt up a set of 16" wheels from a later model. I've got a couple of B Dodge chassis still running 16.5 with radials, but if I used them much I'd have converted to 16". Check around your local junk yards for dually P/U wheels.

Grillmeister

BBQ TOUR USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/06 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might consider 16 inch rims, extensive info HERE

Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/06 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a Dodge van (One Ton, B300) that had 8.00x16.5 bias tires. Ended up with 8.75R16.5D (M&S). Result was better ride and no associated problems. There have been other threads on this topic and the conclusion has been the same. There's an 8.00 radial available but the 8.75 is more common among the becoming-scarce 16.5s.
I needed a set in 2000 for our Class C that had 8.75R16.5D from the factory. Even then, many shops said "we can order them for you". I decided I wanted a tire with a "national presence" but didn't have to be "ordered" in case of a tire failure on a trip. What my phone search led me to was...Pep Boys!
Other things I've learned:
SAM's Club will sell and will order the tires. But they wouldn't mount them on a Coach saying "they have no way to lift it". Must mean they want to work inside only, haven't heard of a JACK, and really don't need to sell me another six tires.
Many of the brands DO have 16.5s in their line, but no longer at the top of the line. Here's what I got at Pep Boys

http://www.pepboys.com/tires_wheels/light_truck_suv/scrambler.html

There are bigger, better, etc etc tires but for me, Years Service = 5 and Tire Problems = 0.

If your coach includes a spare, suggest replacing it too. A friend with a C coach had a spare, blew a tire, changed the tire, blew the spare 50 miles later. He said it was hard to see ahead driving his VW Bug toad with two RV tires in his front trunk! I don't want to have 100 miles to go and only a 50-mile spare! My search came down to Pep Boys and Tire Kingdom. They matched each other's best prices on six tires. I asked both to throw in a seventh tire, mounted and balanced, as the spare. Both agreed.

God Bless, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100

Photog101

Garden City, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/06 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

800X16.5 was a bias belted tire. I do not believe that they are being maade anymore. There is an 8R16.5 that is now being produced, however I believe that they are on a limited run basis.

Stop by a tire store and have them match the old bias size to the newer radial size.

"Doc"

Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/07 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used to have a 72 Dodge Maxi Van B300 camper conversion. 8.00x16.5 bias belted tires became scarce, but remember reading or being told that there was something dangerous about using steel belted radials on the original wheels. I used the original type bias belted load range E tires 10 ply rated 8-ply tires. Also, as I remember, 8.75 tires would rub in the front wheel wells on the B-300 van when turning sharply.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/07 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bordercollie wrote:

Used to have a 72 Dodge Maxi Van B300 camper conversion. 8.00x16.5 bias belted tires became scarce, but remember reading or being told that there was something dangerous about using steel belted radials on the original wheels. I used the original type bias belted load range E tires 10 ply rated 8-ply tires. Also, as I remember, 8.75 tires would rub in the front wheel wells on the B-300 van when turning sharply.

What you heard was dangerous about putting radial tires on those wheels was probably a warning about using 16-inch tires. The radials for 16 inch wheels will fit on a 16.5 rim, but they won't always stay on.

The ---R16.5 tires are designed specifically as replacement tires for the old 16.5 rim.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/07 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cooper sells the 8x16.5 tires and they are radials, I have them on my rv and been good tires so far, had them on for 2 years now and around 12-15000 miles on them, however I did have to look hard for these tires because they are not being made by many tire company's any more, might have to go to 16in rims someday.

massangler

MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/07 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About those 8R16.5 tires; I bought an older motorhome this winter with 8R16.5 tires that have cracked sidewalls on the rear tires. I'm thinking I'll have to replace them. Someone metioned they've been able to go up to 8.75X16.5. I found some Firestone SteelTex 9.5X16.5 radials. Do you think it would be pushing it to go that wide on the rear tires?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 800 X 16.5
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS