|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> From Hybrid Trailer or TT to Class C

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
bgnmky

Bedford, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/06 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just curious how many of you went from a TT or a Hybrid TT to a Class C and why?

(I am researching the pros and cons to both and would like to find some people who actually made a swtich - I will post the same question in the TT forum).

Thanks!

Adman

Pearland, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/06 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went from 30 ft. travel trailer to 31 foot class C. My wife was never comfortable riding while pulling the trailer so she never seemed to enjoy it. much. I have to admit I got really tired of hitching and unhitching the trailer. So we started finding excusses not to take the trailer on trips. We really enjoy the C alot more. Easy to drive and park. It just works out better for us. Really like the floor plan of our MH too. And we like just getting in and going without all the prep work.

2003 Four Winds 31N Class C.
V-10, Bilsteins, Air Bags, Steer Safe, Trac Vision and Gear Vendors
Wife, 3 Grown Kids and 1 Grandson

RespiratoryMan

Jonesboro, Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/06 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We made the switch from the 32' TT to a C class. I have never looked back. No more setting up in the rain. Just pull over to go to the bathroom or to eat or sleep. I only wish that I had auto levelers but someday maybe.
My wife also got a bit nervous when pulling the TT in heavy winds or on curvy highways. Now she will help to drive and that is something that she would never do before with the TT. Other than the actual cost of the Class C the fuel consumption is really no different than when I was pulling the TT. I either tow our Honda Accord or I will put the small atv trailer behind us and just go. We boondock in the Ozark national forest alot and I often carry an extra 45 gal of H2O when we head out. I will sometimes take along the small Honda generator which I have and run it at nite depending on where we go. Hope that this helps!

2005 Jayco 30GS
Three Brown-Eyed-Girls (2 daughters/wife)
one son-n-law (MeatHead)
One worn-out Respiratory Therapist (ME)
Proud son of a WW2,Korea and Vietnam combat Veteran

MidniteBreeze

Northern Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/06 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are trading our 21' TT (toy hauler) on a 28' class C. The toy hauler worked well for us when we lived in Colorado as most of our trips involved the ATV's, but now that we're in the land of 10,000 lakes and more into boating/fishing, our needs have changed.

We were originally looking for a smaller 5th wheel so we could tow the boat behind, but couldn't find any in the smaller size we needed that were generator ready (a must for us as we boondock a lot), so we started looking at C's and are picking ours up in a couple weeks!

Though we obviously haven't actually camped in it yet, here's the way I see the pros & cons:

Cons:
-MH has way less water capacity than our TT (we had a 100 gal. fresh tank!)
-no vehicle to drive around in if we want to leave the campsite unless we bring a toad (will most likely have boat or ATV trailer instead of toad)
-a little less fuel efficient, though gas IS cheaper than diesel right now.
-harder to launch boat in the water with MH than with truck
-gas engine less powerful than diesel truck on hills, etc.
-more expensive insurance, tags, etc. than TT

Pros:
-no more hitching & unhitching (other than boat or ATV trailer)
-much more "wife" friendly for me to drive, back up, etc.
-back bedroom & more privacy/sleeping room when we have guests along
-more room for the dog while on the road
-easier bathroom/beverage/food access while on the road
-gas engine quieter than diesel
-more overall storage space--cabover bed is a great place to store guests' "stuff" when not in use.

For us, the pros of a 'C' outweighed the cons. I'm sure we'll discover other little things (both good and bad) when we actually start camping, but I think we made the right decision for us. Can't wait until the snow melts!! [emoticon]

Good luck!

2006 Dutchmen Express 28A

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/06 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went from a hybrid to a C. Ditched the big tow vehicle that we had in favor of something more commuter friendly. In a motorhome the vacation starts as soon as we pull out of the driveway, not after we get set up.

Setup takes literally 5 minutes. When we leave the campsite to explore we have all the conveniences of home with us including food, entertainment and a clean rest room. I love not towing and just doing a 3 point turn when I want to.

I make better time in the C too - I drive the same speed but we never have to stop for potty breaks now. When I stop for gas, generally nobody even wants to get out at the gas station so fuel stops are quicker too.

The *reason* we switched was to make traveling with our newly diabetic daughter much more convenient, but it ended up having a lot more advantages than we expected.

This thread from the FAQ compares C's to trailers.

MidniteBreeze

Northern Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/06 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with the TXSKIBUM on the buddy system. We often go ATVing and boating with other couples who don't have their own camper. They have somwhere to sleep, we have access to their truck for launching our boat, running to town, etc. Works out well for everyone.

shaneben

Canton, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/06 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went from a 19' Hybrid to an enclosed 25' TT and now we are getting a 26' Class C. I really dislike towing a trailer I just feel like I can't relax. Plus the hitching/unhitching always seems like its a chore.

I'm sure there are many pros and cons to both but the class C just seems a lot easier to deal with. We don't have kids (well none without fur) so there is just the two of us so carrying capacity, sleeping and all that other stuff really isn't a concern. We both work a lot so for us its the easiest way to get away for the weekend without much hassle in setup and takedown.

/Shane
2006 Itasca Cambria 26A
http://www.canyonero.us

TXSKIBUM

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/06 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Changed from a 27 foot TT to a 31 foot C. Easier to set up. Overall less hassle. Hitching in the rain is a good one. I saw someone else said that. Ease of travel and storage are my two biggest pros. Kids can sleep in the C while we are driving if it is neccessary (yeah we do it NO THROWING STONES). I really have no cons. Gas mileage? People don't buy RV's to save gas. I have quads too, as does another person posting. I found that one of my buddies has no problem taking his truck and pulls my trailer with his quads on it as well. Course he has a nice place to sleep when he gets there. Same with the boat and Jet Skis if it comes up. Good Luck !

SUNSEEKER CREW
Andy (Dad), Twin Girls 11 yrs (Twinkies) One Boy 13 yrs (Monkey Boy)Tobey Mellow Yellow Lab
2006 Forest River Sunseeker 3100ss Quad Bunk V10
2010 Armada Titanium

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> From Hybrid Trailer or TT to Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS