RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Help...how to haul motorcylce!

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

 > Help...how to haul motorcylce!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Cdurham

Boise

New Member

Joined: 03/20/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/06 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 29ft Minnie Winnie and would like to haul a Honda Nigthawk 650lbs on a lift. I'm looking at the Cowboy carrier:
http://www.rvnetlinx.com/dba/dba.php3?id=5471
or
http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=RHDC2

Has anyone else tried these or any suggestion. We would also like to haul our 2 mt.bikes.
Thanks,
Carla

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 12/27/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/25/06 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw THISat Bike Week. $299 I think. Stows easily. Hang the bicycles off the ladder.


My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

claybreaker

SE Penna.

Senior Member

Joined: 04/24/2005

View Profile



Posted: 03/25/06 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You've got a lot more courage (faith in the designs of some of the products on the market) than I would to even think about hauling a 650 pound motorcycle on a hitch mounted carrier. The weight would most likely exceed the load limit of the hitch and having that much weight pivoting around a 2-inch-square mounting point is begging for a catastrophe. And have you weighed your RV, at least front and rear, to know how much weight you can safely add to the rear axle over and above what you carry in full travel trim??

If you want to haul a bike(s) that heavy, consider a trailer that's made for such a task.

* This post was edited 03/26/06 06:24am by claybreaker *





Tenn Stud

Northeast, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 11/16/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/06 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have hauled a bike up to a fat boy since 1972, On everything from a 28' Winnie Chiefton, 2-HR 33'Imp.,Foretravel Grandvilla, and the persent coach on 3, 2" receiver hitchs that I built without ever a problem. The carrier pictures should be in the achives on thos forum somewhere





HiTech

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/06 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Page one of the Class C FAQ has some threads on carrying motorcycles.

Agrnbrt

NJ, U.S.A.

Senior Member

Joined: 05/24/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/06 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

I saw THISat Bike Week. $299 I think. Stows easily. Hang the bicycles off the ladder.


In case you all don't understand just how stupid this system is. Think of this. Your going down the road at 50 mph towing your bike on this. As you drive a small rock or stick pops up and hits your shift lever. BANG, one droped tranny on your bike.
I saw this system about 20 years ago. I cannot believe it's still around, or that anyone out there buys it.


08 Jayco Eagle Super Lite.
07 Chevrolet 2500HD Classic. Reese 16k hitch & S/C tailgate.
Camping with: 1 Wife(Teri)
4 cats, Trouble(the Stynx),Seamus O'Fuzz(Buddha Kitty),Minx(tailless Buddha Kitty)& Bubba(the Love Sponge)
Oh yeah, one Sig P220 .45 acp.


Baseball Coach

Ann Arbor , MI

Full Member

Joined: 02/04/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/06 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agrnbrt wrote:

Big Katuna wrote:

I saw THISat Bike Week. $299 I think. Stows easily. Hang the bicycles off the ladder.


In case you all don't understand just how stupid this system is. Think of this. Your going down the road at 50 mph towing your bike on this. As you drive a small rock or stick pops up and hits your shift lever. BANG, one droped tranny on your bike.
I saw this system about 20 years ago. I cannot believe it's still around, or that anyone out there buys it.


I am pretty sure you are advised to remove the chain or belt prior to towing, now a driveshaft could pose a problem


2004 Gulfstream Endura 6340
2004 Jeep Unlimited

Tenn Stud

Northeast, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 11/16/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/25/06 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Baseball Coach wrote:

Agrnbrt wrote:

Big Katuna wrote:

I saw THISat Bike Week. $299 I think. Stows easily. Hang the bicycles off the ladder.


In case you all don't understand just how stupid this system is. Think of this. Your going down the road at 50 mph towing your bike on this. As you drive a small rock or stick pops up and hits your shift lever. BANG, one droped tranny on your bike.
I saw this system about 20 years ago. I cannot believe it's still around, or that anyone out there buys it.


I am pretty sure you are advised to remove the chain or belt prior to towing, now a driveshaft could pose a problem


read his post again ! he said haul not tow

The snow man

de pere, wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 06/09/2005

View Profile



Posted: 03/25/06 11:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't imagine trying to take machines like that other than having them in a trailer...You're asking for a lot of trouble if you don't put them in a trailer and pull them behind you...there would still be room for your bicycles plus other things in the trailer...that's the way I haul my ATV's and snowmobiles... Lots of luck on your thinking, but play it safe and do it the right way...


The beatiful MONSTER that takes my wife and I anywhere we want to go...2005 Jayco granite ridge...Overhead entertainment center, slide out, and a snowmobile trailer that pulls 2 four wheelers in the summer and 2 snowmobiles in the winter..Life is great!


Camping Dutchman

NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 10/13/2003

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 03/26/06 04:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow I hope you wore your flame suit. Unfortunately people have to use the word stupid or you have some nerve.
It can be done WITHOUT putting undue stress on your hitch. Check out this company in maryland, neat concept and you can back up easily.

http://www.eagleheadlifts.com/index.htm

OR www.discountramps.com they are the tilt a rack main distributor and cheapest price.

* This post was edited 03/26/06 07:31am by Camping Dutchman *


2008 Chevy 3500 cc DRW Duramax
2009 Cedar Creek Silverback 35L4QBS
Pull Rite 20.5 super 5th

2004 United Specialties Sold
stop by, theres always a seat by the fire

Member:Good Sam Club Haulin Highlanders

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

 > Help...how to haul motorcylce!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS