|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Watched a tire blow out today

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
driveby

Vancouver BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/06 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I finally got to see a blow out in real life today. Thought I'd share.

Thankfully it wasn't me that had it but is was on the cube van (e450 chassis no less) that was in the other lane and just in front of me. Big chunks of tire came at me and it sounded like I was going through a sand storm (small bits I guess). The Cube driver didn't even notice right away but the pop (boom) was quite loud to me. it was the right inside rear that blew. I didn't see any damage to his unit - I was busy dodging bits of tire on the highway at 100KM/hr but I can totally see how a blown tire could shred the underside of a fiberglass C.

Even though I'm pretty good at checking pressures, I'm going to be doubley good now!

* This post was edited 05/05/06 05:39pm by driveby *

2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Class A
1997 TJ Sahara, hard and soft tops and AC
Held together via Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar and stopped by US Gear Unified Brake system.

kendall69

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/06 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The second luckiest man on the planet was a guy behind me the other day. I hit one of those retreads from a big rig( a full ring ) . I had no choice, the guy infront of me swearved as he had a clear lane to his right, I didn't because of a big truck. I hit it full on with the front left tire. It created a noise I will not soon forget.

Anyway, it flew about 15 feet in the aid and headed for the guys windshield behind me. He couldn't move over either, but it flew over his car and landed hard behind him. After that it was a lot of brakes and swearving behind him.

I stopped, looked at the vehicle, no damage, but never want to hit one of those again.

Owned (1) Class A (2) class C (1) truck camper looking at a Class (B)
New proud Owner of a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2400

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/06 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The inside tires get less airflow to cool them and more heat from the brakes. SO they tend to hive a higher rolling pressure. Higher pressure means they carry more weight. Add in the crown of the road and the inners carry more weight yet.

The spec for the allowable pressure difference between dual tires is all within 5 psi of each other. I air up my outers 2 psi higher than my inners to help compensate. It makes the rig handle better as well.

* This post was edited 05/06/06 05:03pm by HiTech *

n5tc

Salado, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/06 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea, a couple of weeks ago, the guy in front of me hit an "alligator" and threw stuff all over my coach. Luckily all that happened was a black tire mark on the front of my coach that I was able to polish out.

I know that truck drivers have to make a living, but that stuff lying all over a highway, )particularly an Interstate) is dangerous.

n5tc

minnie26a

Hartford, CT

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/06 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, the right-inside is one of the most common to go, due to the road curvature issue. It tends to be loaded more heavily than the right-outside.

2006 Keystone Outback 21RS
2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Baurer 5.4L
Equal-i-zer hitch
Kipor KGE3000TI generator

Old RV

Temple City, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/06 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hate when that happens. Only thing worse is a loose tire and rim. Boy do those things bounce. Had one bouncing around and popping four feet up a couple of years back on the freeway.
*Maxwell Smart to Agent 99*
Missed me by this much.

427v8

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/06 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw a tire blow on the trailer of a semi, it was 5-8 car lengths ahead of me and it was loud nough to startle me. It also took off part of the trailer cladding stuff was flying everywhere!

Greyeagle44F

Stratham NH USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/06 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HiTech...Does any tire manufacturer recommend that practice? I think not. We often travel on roads (depending on the lane in some case) with no crown.

The U.S. Military: "All gave some, some gave all."

The Ancient Aviator

2002 26Q Tioga, Michelin Sneakers, Front XPS, Rear LTX M/S, no chassis "gimmicks" (Wind Machine sold APR 2006...pushing my luck at 84 years and a high performance bird).

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/06 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as they are concerned the inners could be 5 psi over the outers and meet their spec - all within 5psi. This would make a noticably wallowing rig IMO. Since it is statistically impossible to set all tires to *exactly* the same pressure (e.g. one might be 78.020 psi and the other 78.640), I prefer to make sure it is my outers that are slightly higher.

I saw a semi blow a retread Friday and it sounded like a shotgun went off.

Greyeagle44F

Stratham NH USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/06 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 30 ga or a 20 Hi Tech?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Watched a tire blow out today
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS