|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> air compressors

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
guitarman

Winston-Salem, NC,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/02 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to buy an air compressor to keep at home for tire inflation on both cars and MH. Recommended PSI for my MH tires is 80. I would appreciate to hear some recommendations or experiences with particular models. Camping World has a small unit for truck tires, but after reading the reviews I canned that idea. Most home improvement stores have a model that sells for around $100, Lowe's sells a 2HP DeVilbiss rated 125 max psi. Would something like this be adequate or should I be looking for something bigger?

Mike and Christine Villano
2008 Toyota Tundra
2013 Palomino SolAire Eclipse 297RLDS
Sheltie, Charlotte
Daschund, Dapple

Caddywhompus

Southeast WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/02 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use one of the portable, plastic 12v compressors that can be bought from Wal-mart for around $20. It can reach 225psi, so I'm sure it would be able to inflate truck tires to 80. I use it all the time. It works great, is very light, and can also be used to inflate beach toys. The only downside is that it is slow at inflating. Pumping up an average size tire from 10psi to 40psi takes about 10 minutes. But I figure time I've got, money I don't, and weight I don't need.

*This Message was edited on 27-Mar-02 06:59 AM by Caddywhompus*

richmondmj

St. Cloud, Fl , USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/02 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also use a Wal*Mart bought Campbell-Hausfield 12v compressor. Like the other postersaid they aren't fast. Normally you are only adding a few pounds of pressure to the tires anyway, not pumping them from 0-10psi to 80, so it doesn't really take that long for each one. They also have emergency lights in them, both a steady white light and a blinking red one that come in handy in emergencies. They also have a cordless version that is even more handy but costs and weighs more due to the rechargable battery. It also has a 12v socket to run other devices with a low amp draw. The CW one is also sold at Kmart much cheaper!

If you want a 120v mini-compressor, Wal-Mart has a 2gl Campbell-Hausfield for around $99.00 that will do the job as well and is small.

You should also get your rig weighed. If possible at each wheel but at least front/rear and then at least one side seperately to determine side to side load. Then inflate the tires to the tire mfgs recommended pressure to carry that load. They all have inflation charts available and often the 80psi is only for the maximum rated load. You may not be carrying that much, but possibly you are carrying more than that! Over inflated tires are just as dangerous as under inflated tires and also cause uneven wear.

*This Message was edited on 27-Mar-02 07:54 AM by richmondmj*

Tip

Mason City, Ia USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/02 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As the others have stated they will work fine but are slow. The higher the pressure needed the longer it takes to get there. The ones for truck tires will do the job faster. The best thing to do is shop around. Look in some of the automotive parts stores in your area and see what they have or go to a home depot or lowes type of store. If you are lucky enough to have a fleet farm in your area, they usually carry several types.

Happy Trails.
Tip.

Tip & Darcy
1965 Travco RMC270D
Class A Diesel
Pics of our rig http://www.picasaweb.google.com/travcoman45
90 Geo Metro LSi
Demco KarKaddy3
ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE, IT'S ALL YOU'VE GOT!

rver2

Lincoln Park, Mi

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/02 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although most of your portables say they can, they can't, and it they do, it will take forever. There is one out there, and wal marts may carry it. Most of the auto stores have them. It's called the Truck Inflator. And it will handle large veh. tires in a alot shorter amount of time then a regular portable.

2002 chevy 2500 hd diesel
28' 97' sportsmen new vision ultra

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/02 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Campbell Hausfeld Air Comp. Has a 2HP motor and a 6 Gal. Tank. Was $152.0. Model FP2002200AV. Go to www.campbellhausfeld.com and you can check out all there comp. 12v on up.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

bigdaddy & littlemama

Carthage, TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/02 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

guitarman--Please remember that air compressors also make lots of water and you do not want water in your tires. I use a sears compressor to fill an air tank and then fill my tires. The air tank will trap the air and must have the water bleed out ever so often. Waten in tires will make them rot from the inside out.

guitarman

Winston-Salem, NC,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/02 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the advice!

garye

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/02 02:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's one with a little twist...We are considering buying a Brakemaster system for the toad. The Brakemaster manufacturer told me that the compressor they use with a hydraulic brake system will work just fine for MH tire inflation.

BurmaShave

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/02 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, if you have a diesel MH your on-board compressor usually will have a quick-connect fitting for anair line somewhere, but the engine has to be running to use it.

I use a Sears tank-type unit for reasons stated above.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> air compressors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS