Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Who has the Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite TT?

Posted By: The Happy Hour Oasis on 06/01/07 12:27pm

I was ready to buy the Jayco Jay Feather Lgt 31V and I decided to go around to all the dealers again and look at all lite weight trailers. The 8315SS is awesome. I can't believe you get all of those options in a lite trailer. I say lite being about 5700 lbs.

Does anyone have any of the Signature Ultra Lite's? Comments on quality, etc.

Thanks,
Becky

08 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315SS (Cream Cabinets)

2008 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 6.0 with 3:73 Gears

Ted and Rebecca
10 Year Old Labrador - Morgan!
1 Year Old Bassett Hound - Lola!

Interior Designer of homes and RV's....I Love My Job!

Posted By: jfmoots on 06/01/07 12:33pm

We have an 8318SS. Best value I could find around us. Be sure to check RVWholesalers.com on the price of your 8315SS. I've been exceptionally happy with my Rockwood! I agree, it's a feature rich ultralite.

James, Hollie, 2 boys, 2 dogs
06 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
11 Sabre 31RLTS-6
B/W Companion, Prodigy Brake Controller,
Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 w/ LoadController II

Posted By: campnrun on 06/01/07 12:57pm

Picked up our new '08 8314SS on Wednesday. It's the same as the 8315SS except the bedroom is at the front as opposed to the rear on the 8315SS. We chose it over the 8315SS because of heavier tongue weight of the 8315SS.

DW did not get to see it before arriving to sign papers. She was blown away at the quality and included features. We traded in our Rockwood 2603 (front kitchen/rear bedroom) which was nice, but not nearly as nice as the Signature Series Rockwood.

Camp On!/Don

05 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.0 PSD long bed
08 Rockwood 8314SS
06 Kipor KGE3000Ti

Posted By: cenley on 06/01/07 01:10pm

I have an 8317 SS and I am very pleased with it thus far. To those that are buying new Rockwoods make sure you get the extra 1year warranty from Forrest River for $100.00. Ask your dealer about it if they do not know about it then tell them to call FR right there on the spot.

Carl

04 X Limited V-10 3.73 Bilsteins,Timbrens,30mm Sway Bar,Reese Dual Cam
07 Rockwood 8317SS,Top Pop Rails Bike Rack, Champion C46540
Me, DW, DD, DD, and a Doberman
DobermanTalk.com

Posted By: love2rvcamp on 06/01/07 01:04pm

We have on order the Rockwood 8313SS. After searching for over 1 year and knowing some people that have Rockwoods/Flagstaff's they do indeed have numerous options for those of us who need lightweight TT. We are trading our current one and our local dealer beat the RVW price. It does not hurt to check them out as we did, if the local could not beat there price we were willing to buy from RVW.

Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller

Posted By: softballjunky on 06/01/07 12:55pm

We got our 8298SS recently and are really happy with the fit and finish. It is a really nice trailer for the price plain and simple. Not top of the line nor bottom basemant either. Again, you get a lot for the price. As for longevity of the unit, ask me again in 10 years

Also, don't forget that the flagstaff classic line is the exact same trailer as the signature ultralite with options floorplans and all, just different colors inside and out.

2008 Rockwood 8298SS
2007 Ford Expedition
Equal-i-zer
Prodigy

Posted By: Mike_LA on 06/01/07 07:35pm

Hi Becky,

We bought a Rockwood 8315SS last April(2006) and we are enjoying the heck out of it.

Here are a few pictures of it.

I really liked the 8314SS because of the large rear window, but after thinking it over, it's not every place that you'll have a good view out the rear window. DW wanted the roominess of the 8315SS(large counter space and lots & lots of kitchen cabinets.
I did learn to like the front kitchen model and glad we've got it. I feel the 8315SS has the most interior storage available.

Enjoy,

Mike

* This post was edited 07/10/07 05:37am by an administrator/moderator *

Mike
2006 Chevy Silverado 4X4 Crew Cab Z-71 5.3L
2011 Sunnybrook Harmony 26FBS

Posted By: The Happy Hour Oasis on 06/01/07 05:20pm

Well we put a deposit down on the 8315SS this afternoon. Will sign the papers tomorrow.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. We will pick up the trailer next monday. So if anyone thinks of any other things I need to look at during my walk through, please post to me.

Becky

Posted By: The Happy Hour Oasis on 06/01/07 05:21pm

mstoetz1 wrote:

our05zeppelin wrote:

I can't believe you get all of those options in a lite trailer. I say lite being about 5700 lbs.

Thanks,
Becky

The Rockwoods are a very nice looking trailer (we have an 8315SS) and they do have lots of options. The weight of them is heavier than they say though.. I weight mine on the way from picking it up and empty it is 6115 lbs (2730 KGs).

The quality on them is pretty good... we found many trailers looked cheap and the Rockwood shows fairly good quality. One thing I didn't like was the drawers are very short in the kitchen, I can't even put in many of my utensils or a standard cutlery tray. If you take them out, there is room where they could have made them longer, but they didnt. The Rockwood has decent storage if you remove some the false walls. The rear storage is slightly better if you move that sliding drawer tight to the back wall, but then it only slides out one side. This is ok, since it increases the room on one end.

One thing I wish the trailer had, is a regular queen size bed (80 x 60).

What all options did your 8815 have in it? Just curious so I can figure my approx. weight.

Thanks

Posted By: mstoetz1 on 06/01/07 05:32pm

Here are the options for the 8315SS (mine has all except for atrium slide, stainless steel appliances, and counter top extension):

OPTIONAL FEATURES
· Create-A-Breeze Three Speed Fantastic Vent (Standard Option)
· Heated Mattress (Standard Option)
· Water-Pur Filtration System (Standard Option)
· 13,500 or 15,000 BTU Ducted Roof Air
· Microwave
· Awning
· Outside Gas Grill and Worktable
· Raised Oak Refrigerator Panels
· Electronically Controlled Heated Holding Tanks
· Spare Tire Carrier & Cover
· 13” or 19” TV w/ DVD and “True Stereo” Theater Sound
· Theater Surround Sound
· Day/Night Shades
· Aluminum Wheels
· Slide Out Toppers
· Cream Interior Option with Stainless Steel Appliances
· Stainless Steel Appliances with Oak Interior
· ½ Sliding Storage Tray
· Atrium Slide (Most Super Slides)
· Hide-A-Bed
· Minimum Carpet
· 15” LCD Bedroom TV
· Free-Standing Table and Chairs
· Counter-top Extension

Posted By: mstoetz1 on 06/01/07 04:28pm

our05zeppelin wrote:

I can't believe you get all of those options in a lite trailer. I say lite being about 5700 lbs.

Thanks,
Becky

The Rockwoods are a very nice looking trailer (we have an 8315SS) and they do have lots of options. The weight of them is heavier than they say though.. I weight mine on the way from picking it up and empty it is 6115 lbs (2730 KGs).

The quality on them is pretty good... we found many trailers looked cheap and the Rockwood shows fairly good quality. One thing I didn't like was the drawers are very short in the kitchen, I can't even put in many of my utensils or a standard cutlery tray. If you take them out, there is room where they could have made them longer, but they didnt. The Rockwood has decent storage if you remove some the false walls. The rear storage is slightly better if you move that sliding drawer tight to the back wall, but then it only slides out one side. This is ok, since it increases the room on one end.

One thing I wish the trailer had, is a regular queen size bed (80 x 60).

Posted By: dlord on 06/01/07 06:26pm

I have a 2007 8318SS that was delivered in Jan. So far we love it. A few slideout bolt shearing problems but nothing a handy camping boy can't handle.

It's hooked up in the driveway as I'm typing. Headed to Topsail in the morning.

2003 Excursion Limited 4x4 V-10
2007 Rockwood 8318SS/Equalizer/Prodigy

Posted By: CaLBaR on 06/01/07 06:21pm

We have an 8298SS and so far we really like it. Towed it to Florida over March break and it towed well. A little problem with the furnace but that and the regulator are fixed now. We'll see how everything holds up to the west coast in 4 weeks. Had a Roo previously and had minor issues that the dealer fixed.

Went back to Rockwood because we couldn't beat the look and features for the money.

2007 Rockwood 8298 SS
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Posted By: PhotoJohn on 06/01/07 01:49pm

We've had the 8318SS a month now and like it a lot. Also bought at RVWholesalers. TV is a Silverado 4X4 Ext. Cab 2500. I live about 2.5 hours away and towed the unit home with no sway and no WD apparatus in place. Had absolutely no trouble, even on a short stretch of I70. But most of my travel was on 2 lane hwy and there was very little wind that day.

I have the WD and sway and will be attaching it later, just wanted to get out of there and home, so I tried it and was pleasantly surprised. Took tools with me just in case though!

Rockwood 8318SS
2 dogs
3 cats
2 goats
2 kids (children)
1 priceless wife

Posted By: woody9 on 06/03/07 03:28pm

With retirement looming & the last kid leaving the 15th, I wanted to get something other than a bunk-house... and DW said ok back in Feb.... and the hunt was on. Was going to stay with Jayco, but tripped over the FR/Rockwood and fell in love.... not sure if it was with the specs/weight..... or if it was the floorplan & options. It was a little more $$, but a world of extras!
We stayed within 200lbs of the old trailer, gained 3 feet of length and 16' of slide-out! Seems it pulls a lot nicer too, but part of that is the new prodigy i think (can't have a new trailer without a new controller, right?)
We opted for the 8324 (still on dealer web-site http://www.craftstrading.com/pre_owned_image_gallery.asp?veh=469335 as SOLD!).
Only had 1 chance so far, but with the other kids coming in next week, it'll also serve as the new 'guest house' as well.
Have a week on the 4th and 2 weeks late aug/early sept. Can't wait!
I think all of us who have them LOVE 'em!

07 GMC 2500HD, D/A, CC....
91 Chevy Suburban
07 Rockwood 8413SS

Posted By: TeryT on 06/02/07 01:05pm

cenley wrote:

I have an 8317 SS and I am very pleased with it thus far. To those that are buying new Rockwoods make sure you get the extra 1year warranty from Forrest River for $100.00. Ask your dealer about it if they do not know about it then tell them to call FR right there on the spot.

Carl
Yes, the $100 2nd year Forest River warranty is a no brainer. Many of the things are covered by other manufacturer's warranty, but there are certainly other things that aren't. Some things just take the 2nd year to show up.

In our smaller Rockwood, we've been pleased with how it's made & the features - many people comment on how nice it is. I have taken out some false partitions for more cabinet space (as someone else mentioned).

Some of the shelves I found to be weak, so one thing I did do was reinforce many of the shelves in the unit. A few pieces of pine & some Gorilla Glue does the trick! Other wise it seems to be a pretty stout little unit (we often bounce around on Forest roads).

Mighty 4Runner Sport V8 4x4
Hensley Hitch
McKesh Mirrors, Revo Tires
Jordan 2020 Brake Controller
Tranny: Hayden Cooler/Fan & CyberDyne Gauge
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic fluids everywhere!
Rockwood 2502 (3600 lb. dry)!

Posted By: Mike_LA on 06/02/07 07:56pm

The Happy Hour Oasis wrote:

I told him save your breath and just give us the 2nd year $100.00 warranty. He looked so sad.....ahhhhhh!

Congrats, Becky.

Enjoy your new TT.

Mike

* This post was edited 06/04/07 07:45pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: Mike_LA on 06/03/07 03:30pm

Becky,

Yes, there is a receptacle near the pantry. In fact, there are two. One on each side of the front counter top, on the bottom side of the overhead cabinets.

Mike

Posted By: The Happy Hour Oasis on 06/03/07 02:44pm

G&LWebb wrote:

milzat wrote:

Hi Becky,

We bought a Rockwood 8315SS last April(2006) and we are enjoying the heck out of it.

I really wanted the 8314SS because of the large rear window, but after thinking it over, it's not every place that you'll have a good view out the rear window. DW wanted the roominess of the 8315SS(large counter space and lots & lots of kitchen cabinets.
I did learn to like the front kitchen model and glad we've got it. I feel the 8315SS has the most interior storage available.

Milzrat---well I'll be darned, our 2007 flagstaff 831ss super classic ultra lite has the same layout as yours. Everyone told me that the rockwoods and flagstaff only differed in color scheme and outside graphics. Now I really believe it! LOLOL

I love our flagstaff and even midway through the camping season have not been able to fill up all the storage areas.

Enjoy,

Mike

Mike:

Is their a plug on the counter space next to the pantry cabinet in your trailer. Seems like a good place to put the coffe maker, but I can't remember if I saw a plug their or not.

Thanks,
Rebecca

Posted By: The Happy Hour Oasis on 06/02/07 06:57pm

We signed the papers today on our new 8315SS. The finance guy kept trying to push us into the 5-10 year RV warranty. It's very expensive. I told him save your breath and just give us the 2nd year $100.00 warranty. He looked so sad.....ahhhhhh!

Can't wait to pick it up Wednesday.

Posted By: The Happy Hour Oasis on 06/02/07 05:49am

mstoetz1 wrote:

Here are the options for the 8315SS (mine has all except for atrium slide, stainless steel appliances, and counter top extension):

OPTIONAL FEATURES
· Create-A-Breeze Three Speed Fantastic Vent (Standard Option)
· Heated Mattress (Standard Option)
· Water-Pur Filtration System (Standard Option)
· 13,500 or 15,000 BTU Ducted Roof Air
· Microwave
· Awning
· Outside Gas Grill and Worktable
· Raised Oak Refrigerator Panels
· Electronically Controlled Heated Holding Tanks
· Spare Tire Carrier & Cover
· 13” or 19” TV w/ DVD and “True Stereo” Theater Sound
· Theater Surround Sound
· Day/Night Shades
· Aluminum Wheels
· Slide Out Toppers
· Cream Interior Option with Stainless Steel Appliances
· Stainless Steel Appliances with Oak Interior
· ½ Sliding Storage Tray
· Atrium Slide (Most Super Slides)
· Hide-A-Bed
· Minimum Carpet
· 15” LCD Bedroom TV
· Free-Standing Table and Chairs
· Counter-top Extension

Thanks for the info. Ours does have the atrium slide and stainless steel package. So I guess we can figure about the same weight as you have.

We are going this morning to finalize paperwork and we will pick it up on Wednesday. We are very excited.

We loved our Zeppelin, but found that we travel quite a bit and would like more room in a travel trailer.

Posted By: The Happy Hour Oasis on 06/02/07 05:51am

Sup wrote:

Hi Becky, We looked at lots of units over the last couple of years and found the Rockwood to have the nicest offering for the money. We ordered from RVW and we are going to pick it up next Saturday! We're really excited now! I'm sure you'll really like your rig, I know we are looking forward to enjoying ours! Good luck, keep us posted on how your doing with it! Walt

Which unit did you order? We will pick ours up next Wednesday. Can't wait for the first campout.

Becky

Posted By: The Happy Hour Oasis on 06/02/07 05:57am

cenley wrote:

Carl

I will be doing this for sure. That is a great deal.

Thanks
Becky

Posted By: The Happy Hour Oasis on 06/02/07 08:41am

rlt7272 wrote:

Have had our 8317ss for 30 days. Gone one 1 trip so far and cannot wait for until the next trip. Our old trailer was a 19' 1972 Holiday Rambler so moving up to the 31' has made out camping 1000 times more enjoyable.

Our salesman started us looking at a Salem then walked us over to the 8317ss. When I first saw it I thought there was no way we could afford it with all of the features and options but we worked a deal on a Saturday and closed/picked it up on the following Friday.

It does pull a little heavier than I wanted but we are going out new(i.e used) truck shopping today.

Good luck and good camping.

Do you have the 5.4 in your TV? We have a 05 Chevy Suburban 1500, 5.3 with 3:42 gears. Our tow capactity is 7200 lbs. Hoping to keep our suburban for another few years before trading it in.

Becky

* This post was edited 06/02/07 05:34pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: Sup on 06/01/07 08:33pm

Hi Becky, We looked at lots of units over the last couple of years and found the Rockwood to have the nicest offering for the money. We ordered from RVW and we are going to pick it up next Saturday! We're really excited now! I'm sure you'll really like your rig, I know we are looking forward to enjoying ours! Good luck, keep us posted on how your doing with it! Walt

Walt & Maggie

1 Furr Thing
2005 Avalanche Z71
2003.5 Bayside

Posted By: adamcarp on 06/02/07 10:41am

We have had our 8318SS for almost 2 months and we love it. Best bang for the buck we were going to get the 31ft jayco till we found this model with the same length more features and lighter weight. We also bought it from RVW and they were awesome. we have one trip under our belt and the big block surburban tows it fine.

2007 Rockwood signature ultralite 8318SS

1999 Chevy suburban 2500 7.4l 4.10 gears
k/n filter
dynomax exhaust

Posted By: G&LWebb on 06/03/07 07:12am

milzat wrote:

Hi Becky,

I really wanted the 8314SS because of the large rear window, but after thinking it over, it's not every place that you'll have a good view out the rear window. DW wanted the roominess of the 8315SS(large counter space and lots & lots of kitchen cabinets.

Milzrat---well I'll be darned, our 2007 flagstaff 831ss super classic ultra lite has the same layout as yours. Everyone told me that the rockwoods and flagstaff only differed in color scheme and outside graphics. Now I really believe it! LOLOL

I love our flagstaff and even midway through the camping season have not been able to fill up all the storage areas.

Enjoy,

Mike

George II and Lynne Webb
sons George III & Kenneth
cats Dufus (who loves to travel with us)& Monkee (who'd rather stay on the couch)
Beagle Rufus (a rescue who is keeping us young)
2007 FR Flagstaff Classic Super lite 831 FKSS
F350 diesel turbo dually

Posted By: chincha805 on 06/02/07 07:12am

when you do the PDI walk through, be sure to look at the roof. most people do not look up there and later find bubbles. like i did., other than that my Rockwood 8317SS is perfect. wouldnt buy anything else.

07 Rockwood 8317SS
04 F250 2x4 PSD
REESE HP DC
Prodigy

2007 GMC 2500HD Sierra SLE Duramax/Allison
2007 Rockwood 8317SS
Reese WDH w/HP DC
Prodigy

Posted By: ohioviper on 06/01/07 08:41pm

PhotoJohn we are in same county. I live out 772 near Nipgen.Small world isnt it.

2006 Dodge RAM 2500 Cummins QC 4X4 Big Horn
2008 R-Vision Trail sport 24BH
2008 Dodge Avenger RT wifes ride.

Posted By: rlt7272 on 06/02/07 07:20am

Have had our 8317ss for 30 days. Gone one 1 trip so far and cannot wait for until the next trip. Our old trailer was a 19' 1972 Holiday Rambler so moving up to the 31' has made out camping 1000 times more enjoyable.

Our salesman started us looking at a Salem then walked us over to the 8317ss. When I first saw it I thought there was no way we could afford it with all of the features and options but we worked a deal on a Saturday and closed/picked it up on the following Friday.

It does pull a little heavier than I wanted but we are going out new(i.e used) truck shopping today.

Good luck and good camping.

2007 Rockwood 8317ss

New (to me) Truck --
2004 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab Turbo Diesel

Old Truck --
1998 Chevy 1500 (I will miss this truck, lots of good memories)

Posted By: Mike_LA on 06/04/07 10:58am

The Happy Hour Oasis wrote:

milzat wrote:

Becky,

Yes, there is a receptacle near the pantry. In fact, there are two. One on each side of the front counter top, on the bottom side of the overhead cabinets.

Mike

Thanks Mike:

Our Zeppelin has wall outlets that are right above the countertop. Seems strange to have to plug things in from the front of cabinets or from underneath cabinets. Hope my coffee make plug goes that far!

Becky

It should reach.
We have a B & D Coffee maker with the shortest cord I've ever seen and it reaches the receptacle below the overhead cabinet.

* This post was edited 06/04/07 07:46pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: The Happy Hour Oasis on 06/05/07 07:56am

MDANDY wrote:

We are awaiting our Rockwood SS TT.
Jayco was the other consideration UNTIL we saw the Rockwood SS!

Us too. Once I walked in the Rockwood Signature I was SOLD!!

Congrats on your new Rockwood. We do our walk through and pick ours up tomorrow. YEAH

Rebecca

Posted By: The Happy Hour Oasis on 06/05/07 07:59am

wtc88c wrote:

We've used our new 2007 Rockwood 8315SS ultralite for about 10 months now. I have to say I'm very pleased with it in spite of the problems we've encountered. As mentioned above, it's not top of the line, but it's certainly not bottom of the line either.
Here's the problems we've suffered. The dealer was extremely helpful with the problems, but I found it was easier to take care of myself, with them supplying the replacement parts.
* on acceptance/delivery inspection, dealer found interior water line that had a cabinet mounting screw run into it. Dealer replaced before final acceptance
* one of the inner doors had faulty doorknob assy, and stuck closed...had to disassemble in place and leave open hole for that weekend. Dealer paid for new units for both doors I purchased at Home Depot and I replaced myself.
* pressure switch failed in water pump...had to tap on it to get to start, or to stop, pumping (even after adjustments). Dealer supplied new pump which I replaced myself. (three months later, I upgraded to a 4.0 shurflow with variable speed control....much better)
* Converter died; actually had to use a regular battery charger that I happened to have had stored in my truck to have 12volt power after battery died, for the remainder of the trip. Dealer supplied new converter assy, which I replaced myself.
* original slide-out drive motor slipped it's clutch so much after 2 months, that normal movement could not happen without me starting and ending the movement with the emergency crank. Called drive manufacturer,which told me they were having similar problems with several of the Rockwood trailers, possibly because they were making the slide-outs heavier. They sent me the next heavier motor assy, which I replaced myself.
* shelf under TV was only secured with staples, and fell during travel. Repaired myself with screws and added bracing.
* shower door was not hung "square" and dragged the frame at the bottom. Even after dealer attempt to adjust, I had to totally disassemble it myself and reassemble, making changes in bolt holes and mounting angles to get it to work correctly. (dealer did offer to fully replace shower assy if I wanted, but this was easier and quicker, and just as good)
* and finally, my new Hensley Arrow is due to arrive tomorrow. I'll be installing it this weekend for our next trip on 6/21. We're towing this trailer with a Chevy Avalanche, which does good, but with all the peripheral stuff we've accumulated, the trailer abandoned ultralite status several months ago. Sway is amplified because, to carry all the extra stuff, I've added a cargo carrier to the rear bumper....not the best loading rationale, but it had to go somewhere. So, I have to say the bad sway is really my fault.
Everything else though???? Has anyone else suffered similar problems with their Rockwood ultralites?

I think I will take your list above with me to my walk through tomorrow. I want to check all of these things out. We are taking our trailer next week for a one week trip to Arkansas and I hate to have to run into any major problems when we are out of state.

Thanks for your list.

Rebecca

Posted By: The Happy Hour Oasis on 06/04/07 05:50am

milzat wrote:

Becky,

Mike

Thanks Mike:

Our Zeppelin has wall outlets that are right above the countertop. Seems strange to have to plug things in from the front of cabinets or from underneath cabinets. Hope my coffee make plug goes that far!

Becky

Posted By: funkygti on 06/27/07 12:33pm

I sent my money directly to Forest River and they sent back both customer copies of the form I filled out with a paid stamp on it. Check with your dealer and make sure they sent it in for you. I signed it and mailed it out on April 3, 2006, Forest River signed it on April 10, 2006 and I had it back a few days later.

Nina
2006 Rockwood 8317ss
2000 Ford Excursion V10 LTD
Equal-i-zer
Prodigy

Posted By: MDANDY on 06/04/07 06:02pm

We are awaiting our Rockwood SS TT.
Jayco was the other consideration UNTIL we saw the Rockwood SS!

Happy Camping!

3 Children (16, 9, 7.5)
2 Adults (not telling age)
1 Dog (4)

Check out profile if you want to know our picking up trailer story!

TV Chevy Silverado
TT Rockwood 8317SS Picked up July 6th 2007!

Posted By: juneau92 on 06/27/07 12:14pm

TeryT wrote:

Yes, the $100 2nd year Forest River warranty is a no brainer. Many of the things are covered by other manufacturer's warranty, but there are certainly other things that aren't. Some things just take the 2nd year to show up.

Hey Tery,

Good to see you here. Question for ya: I paid my RV dealer the $100 for the 2nd year warranty when I took delivery of my Rockwood. Am I supposed to hear something from someone, like perhaps a conformation letter from Forest River? Just asking becuase I've not heard or received anything from anyone. Thanks now.

Posted By: wtc88c on 06/05/07 07:49am

We've used our new 2007 Rockwood 8315SS ultralite for about 10 months now. I have to say I'm very pleased with it in spite of the problems we've encountered. As mentioned above, it's not top of the line, but it's certainly not bottom of the line either.
Here's the problems we've suffered. The dealer was extremely helpful with the problems, but I found it was easier to take care of myself, with them supplying the replacement parts.
* on acceptance/delivery inspection, dealer found interior water line that had a cabinet mounting screw run into it. Dealer replaced before final acceptance
* one of the inner doors had faulty doorknob assy, and stuck closed...had to disassemble in place and leave open hole for that weekend. Dealer paid for new units for both doors I purchased at Home Depot and I replaced myself.
* pressure switch failed in water pump...had to tap on it to get to start, or to stop, pumping (even after adjustments). Dealer supplied new pump which I replaced myself. (three months later, I upgraded to a 4.0 shurflow with variable speed control....much better)
* Converter died; actually had to use a regular battery charger that I happened to have had stored in my truck to have 12volt power after battery died, for the remainder of the trip. Dealer supplied new converter assy, which I replaced myself.
* original slide-out drive motor slipped it's clutch so much after 2 months, that normal movement could not happen without me starting and ending the movement with the emergency crank. Called drive manufacturer,which told me they were having similar problems with several of the Rockwood trailers, possibly because they were making the slide-outs heavier. They sent me the next heavier motor assy, which I replaced myself.
* shelf under TV was only secured with staples, and fell during travel. Repaired myself with screws and added bracing.
* shower door was not hung "square" and dragged the frame at the bottom. Even after dealer attempt to adjust, I had to totally disassemble it myself and reassemble, making changes in bolt holes and mounting angles to get it to work correctly. (dealer did offer to fully replace shower assy if I wanted, but this was easier and quicker, and just as good)
* and finally, my new Hensley Arrow is due to arrive tomorrow. I'll be installing it this weekend for our next trip on 6/21. We're towing this trailer with a Chevy Avalanche, which does good, but with all the peripheral stuff we've accumulated, the trailer abandoned ultralite status several months ago. Sway is amplified because, to carry all the extra stuff, I've added a cargo carrier to the rear bumper....not the best loading rationale, but it had to go somewhere. So, I have to say the bad sway is really my fault.
Everything else though???? Has anyone else suffered similar problems with their Rockwood ultralites?

Bill and Debbie
Two huskies, Mysti and Zhivago
2007 Rockwood 8315SS Signature UltraLite
2005 Z-71 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 3.42
Hensley Arrow

Posted By: travelingmomof2 on 06/27/07 03:40pm

We also fell in love (originally were going to buy the Jayco 30u) and bought the Rockwood 8317ss. Love it so far!

2007 Rockwood 8317 Signature Series

It's "S'more Fun" now that we are Rving it!

Posted By: travelingmomof2 on 06/28/07 03:01pm

2nd year warranty, as an FYI, is now $150 and handles larger items, not bumper to bumper like the first year, although multiple people on here haven't had problems with theirs in the first 2 years that required service.

Print  |  Close