|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Increasing Towing Capacity

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
newsomer

0x1F.916C8, 0x-54.30EA4

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/07 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just upgraded our TV to a new 2007 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado extended cab with the 5.3L engine. It's rated with a towing capacity/GCVWR of 6800/12000. I have a few questions.

1. In another posting on another Open Roads subforum a member stated he was going to increase his 2002 Silverado towing capacity from 6000 lbs. to 10000 lbs. by simply adding a transmission cooler. I think he is misinformed, or is he?

2. When hammering out our deal I had them throw in the towing package as the truck we selected had the towing suspension but no receiver, tow wiring, tow brake controller, or transmission cooler. Later they said that the transmission cooler was not necessary because all the newer Silverados were built without the need for one. I held my ground and insisted since it was in the deal. Based on information in question one will I be increasing my actual towing capacity with the transmission cooler?

3. The owners manual says there is a 500 mile normal break in period with some restrictions including no towing and following that 500 miles no towing over 50 MPH. Two representatives at the dealer clearly stated that there are no break in requirements and that if I already had the towing package I could go home and hook up the trailer and hit the road. Has there been a realistic change that is not reflected in the owners manual?

We bought the truck knowing that it well exceeded our current HTT (see sig) towing requirements but we were also looking to the future. We don't anticipate a fiver of any size or TT over 26' in the future.

Here's hoping most of you are enjoying a great weekend wherever you are.

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD D/A, 2005 Forest River Cardinal T32RL
To Infinity, and Beyond!
- Our Campsites (Bing Maps) - Our Cardinal

gouda

NW Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/07 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had exactly the same breakin requirenets on our Nissan. Must be fairly standard. I was told that towing places different stresses on the rear end, transmission etc. That's the reason for the 50 mph limit for the first 500 miles of towing. Seems reasonable so I followed it and have had no issues. Besides the faster you go the more gas used. I.E., $$$ Also, if you don't follow the recomendations and have a issue... Well anyone can guess at the possibilities.

I seroiusly doubt adding at tranny cooler will increase the towing capacity at all. More longevity maybe, but there are far to many other things that count toward that rating. In my opinion of course.

08 38TGB FRED.
08 Jeep Wrangler Sahara toad
09 Miniature Schnauzer "BeBe".
Visit New Zealand before you die.

ib516

Up here!

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/07 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. False - absolute BS.
2. Tranny cooler is a necessary item to prolong the life of your transmission.
3. The 500 mile break in is for the rear gears (ring and pinion) and the engine. Follow that advice - no towing for the first 500 miles.

2010 Cougar 322QBS 5er
Prev:
01 Dodge 2500 360 gas, 4.10
02 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins, 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 SRW Mega 5.9L Cummins, 3.73
Current:
2014 RAM 2500, 6.4L Hemi, 4.10, auto

10000# GVWR, 5500# FGAWR, 6500# RGAWR, 3040# payload, 15470# tow rating, 22500# GCWR

PershingD

Richland, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/07 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep - 500 miles is pretty much standard these days. I'm back in a 500 mile towing ban because I had to have new guts put in the rear end.

I'd work off 500 miles before towing. If anything happens in the drivetrain while towing before then, they could try to void your warranty for not following the break in procedure.

David

David Pershing
Gayle-DW
Alex-DS
Jesse-DS
Nikki-DD

1999 Ford E-350 Super Duty 6.8L V-10
2004 Dodge Durango SLT Hemi
2005 Kodiak 23TT - Mods: Dual 12v batteries

mexfishguide

arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/07 11:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, but minor additions as trans. cooler. will not increase the towing capacity of the truck.

Now changes of that sort will make the ruck perform better loaded, but no way can you make a 12,000 tow capicity truck a 20,000 tow capacity truck with after marker add ons.

Take care
Mexfishguide

NoLookingBack

Ardmore, Ok

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/07 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The specified breakin requirements are the standard. All new engines need a the miles for the various components initial wear to seat with one another. That is the pistons, rings, crank journals, values and more need some wear to mate properly with each other. Should also be varying speed or RPM during this time rather than driving at a constant speed for the same reason. You were told correctly concerning the first 500 miles of towing. Towing does place additional stress on drive components from the transmission through the differential. It also changes the angle between drive line and differential and hence how the ring and pinion gears.
As far as a transmission cooler increasing towing capacity, I say bunch of hoey. The drive line components from engine through rear end and out to wheels effect towing capacity, as well as usual frame, springs and weight bearing components. Transmission is one element of this but, while a cooler will keep fluid temps down and increase life/reliability of transmission it does nothing to change the torque handling capabilities of the transmission components. If that were true I would simply get an F250 and transmission cooler to pull my 21000# 40'. No need for expensive overkill of getting an MDT truck.

Jim

Cat320

Somewhere in the USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/07 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What ib516 said.

You will be very close to, or over the limits of your truck even with the lightest 5er.

Cat320

Somewhere in the USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/07 02:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an 05 Chevy like yours. The cargo capacity off the sticker was 1300 lbs (2wd). So in that 1300 I would have had to load the hitch weight of the 5er, weight of the hitch, passengers, cargo, tools, etc...(over the truck's limits once loaded). Also, the 5.3 with the standard rear end is not a good combination for a TV.

So, as stated, you'll be close to the trucks limits, and even if within limits, it will not be a pleasant towing experience. BTDT.

newsomer

0x1F.916C8, 0x-54.30EA4

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/07 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all, pretty much as I had expected.

I'll just chalk it up to crazy things you hear around the forum and from dealerships.

I'm not sure it'll take all that much time to roll 500 miles either and when we do get through that we'll just avoid the expressway for our first camping trip. The good thing is that our current HTT will probably not be a big deal for this TV.

newsomer

0x1F.916C8, 0x-54.30EA4

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/07 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cat320 wrote:

What ib516 said.

You will be very close to, or over the limits of your truck even with the lightest 5er.

wrote:

What I said:

We don't anticipate a fiver of any size or TT over 26' in the future.

Huh?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Increasing Towing Capacity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS