Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Topic: KWIKEE STEP MOTOR REPLACEMENT SERIES 32-with photos

Posted By: Ozarkwoods on 05/06/09 04:03pm

halmcclamma wrote:

I followed this well written, well documented disertation and installed the Dorman Part # 742-206 electric motor. It fit perfectly and, I beleiev is the Ford taurus window motor. Provides a feeling of self satisfaction and leaves a little change in the pocket.

Thanks I felt the same way when I saved by finding the replacement motor. And I think over $200 savings in a bit more than a little change. Glad you could make the change out. Better than that with almost 8,400 views there are a lot of people getting the information.

Full timing since June 2013
Randy and Annie
2005 Tiffin Zephyr
Cummins ISM
Spartan K2
2009 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon towed

Posted By: 965Racer on 05/07/09 12:08pm

OK, Series 40 high torque motor replacement in and working. Used a Dorman 742-277 purchased at Autozone for $52.99. Amazon has them for $45.04 and includes free shipping. But since I was in uncharted territory I wanted to check fit myself and that was easier in person. Plus, since the Dorman’s have a limited lifetime warranty, it’s easier to handle over the counter when it fries.

The Dorman was the same size, same screw hole positions and rotation, same size 9-tooth gear. The electrical connector was on the opposite side of the OE motor, but this makes absolutely no difference. The connector itself is a different shape as well, though the Dorman’s come with multiple pigtails to convert. However, the supplied pigtails still didn’t convert to the OE connector so I simply took one of the supplied pigtails, lopped off the end that didn’t plug into the motor, lopped off the OE connector and, using butt connectors, crimped the wires together. Wrapped tape around them (will use heat shrink next time I’m down there) to be safe. Fired it up and it worked perfectly the first time. Problem solved, savings of at least $175 versus what Kwikee told me which was that I needed the full IMGL replacement kit. Plus, much faster to just replace the motor as opposed to everything.

Note that when removing the OE motor, do so gently as there is a plastic motor gear case adapter (basically a large plastic washer) between the motor and the gear case. After it being down there under pressure for over 8 years I cracked it slightly when removing it. Some liquid plastic welding cement (comes in a two-tube syringe like epoxy) solved that problem though.

Also note that there are at least three other Dorman motors that look the same, at least in pictures from their catalog (742-251, 742-256, and 742-412). These may work as well or even better; you want as much torque as possible for these high torque units. Since Autozone doesn’t normally stock any of these though I couldn’t look at all of them and Dorman doesn’t post tech specs anywhere I could find. The one I used, 742-277, has a sticker that says 13 Nm of torque. And it works. But it’s possible that the others have even more torque and would be a better long term fit.

Robert
2003 Jayco 26SS, IPD sway bars, HD Bilstein shocks, extra trannie cooler, Prodigy brake controller, Equal-i-zer, towing an ATC open car hauler

Posted By: reese0steve on 06/19/09 10:57am

I just finished replacing the motor on my Kwikee 32 steps. Your post saved me $65.00. THANKS! By the way the Dorman # is 742206, the pictures are reversed on the Dorman website.
Steve

Posted By: CyberVet65 on 09/26/09 08:26pm

I found it is a 15 minute job. Just make sure to attach the linkage to the steps prior to assembling the motor and plate. The tolerances are so tight that you will never get that pin in and through the steps. (don't ask)
chet

Posted By: MopaRV on 11/16/09 12:54pm

With this great info from Randy and others,( thank you ), I got excited because I also needed a new motor. Went to the pick-a-part and bought window motor off a '95 Lincoln. Got home and OOPS, motor doesn't match. My mistake. Oh well. (Learned later the motor needs to be off 88-93 Lincolns)

Went back to pick-a-part and bought the motor off of a '93 Taurus. Brought it home to find out this one won't work either. The linkage cover doesn't fit properly over the backside of the motor gearbox. Different design. The motor, I noticed later, is a Denso Japan. The design looks like the remanufactured motors I looked at today at CSK auto. My luck.

So I decided to go to Autozone to maybe just buy a new one. They pulled it out of the box. ITS PLASTIC. Made in Korea. YIKES! No thanks.

Couldn't get the images to work...
I learned a lot, but I'm back where I started. LOL

Posted By: Ozarkwoods on 11/16/09 08:14pm

MopaRV wrote:

With this great info from Randy and others,( thank you ), I got excited because I also needed a new motor. Went to the pick-a-part and bought window motor off a '95 Lincoln. Got home and OOPS, motor doesn't match. My mistake. Oh well. (Learned later the motor needs to be off 88-93 Lincolns)

Went back to pick-a-part and bought the motor off of a '93 Taurus. Brought it home to find out this one won't work either. The linkage cover doesn't fit properly over the backside of the motor gearbox. Different design. The motor, I noticed later, is a Denso Japan. The design looks like the remanufactured motors I looked at today at CSK auto. My luck.

So I decided to go to Autozone to maybe just buy a new one. They pulled it out of the box. ITS PLASTIC. Made in Korea. YIKES! No thanks.

Couldn't get the images to work...
I learned a lot, but I'm back where I started. LOL

Kwikee used several different designs. My steps were on a 96 Coachmen. Depending when yours were made. Bring your old motor in and compare it. The front drivers door window motor on a taurus worked for me. Too bad the photos are not working for you. you will see just how close I matched the motor. Now try Napa, and other parts stores or go to the Dorman company site they all deal with different suppliers. Matching in person works better than anything. Hope this works for you . Wow over 11,000 views I wonder what the record is?

* This post was edited 11/16/09 08:22pm by Ozarkwoods *

Posted By: MopaRV on 11/20/09 11:59am

Hi Randy. What I meant was...YOUR images work, I wasn't able to post my images.
I have a 97 Coachmen and the motor is exactly like yours.

Its looking more and more like Dorman did change their design.
--Motor is mounted with 2 long screws, instead of 4 little ones.
--Back of motor gearbox is different, so the step plate won't mount properly.
--motor shaft housing sticks out farther, interfering with step gearbox.
(Sure wish I could post a pic)

This new design is found at CSK/O'Reillys, Autozone, Napa and another local auto store. Haven't tried CarQuest yet. They're next and last LOL.

So it seems that Cardone (new, not remanufactured) has the only true match, and CSK said they could order it, which will be my likely solution.

Posted By: Ozarkwoods on 11/20/09 06:32pm

MoparRV,
I will send you a link to the dorman page for the part I got.

Posted By: MopaRV on 11/21/09 05:14pm

Well, I went to CarQuest and they said they could order the correct motor. A remanufactured one for $60 + core!! (I hate CarQuest) Of course I said no and I ordered a new one at CSK. They matched my Internet price I found for $53. I should get it in a few days.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

(Thanks Randy for the PM..I emailed you back)

Posted By: Ozarkwoods on 11/21/09 05:26pm

I got your email, your welcome, it looks like the supplies have changed, hope it works for you if this works post the information with part numbers, I see what you meant as far as the housing changes go. I was going to suggest tying to get just a motor to attach to the old gear housing from Dorman. Let us know. Hard to believe this post is 2 years old already.

Print  |  Close
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next