Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Black and Decker - Recondition Function

Posted By: WaltinColo on 11/20/07 02:40pm

Hey All,

Curious here...
Ive run a couple Recondition cycles now on my (2) 6 volt golf cart batteries over the months with my Black & Decker 4/10/20/40 Smart charger, model VEC1093DBD.

The procedure basically is, set it to the type of battery you have, WET, in my case, then hit the Recondition button and walk away.
It runs for 24 hours.

The wierd thing that has happened to me everytime so far is, after 24 hours the recondition finished but the charger then switches to GEL battery type mode and starts running a charge cycle...

I thought maybe my charger was screwed up, but then a friend with one had the same thing happen...

Anyone else seen this trick?

Walt

--------------
'02 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab CTD.
'05 Jayco 1207
'07 22ft SunTracker Regency pontoon

Me, the wife, and the little guy....
...oh, and 2 loving, ready to go camping anytime, Black Lab's

DAYS CAMPED SINCE PUP PURCHASE: 372
BEERS DRANK: 9846

Posted By: RV-1/2n-FUN on 11/20/07 03:10pm

WaltinColo wrote:

Hey All,

Curious here...
Ive run a couple Recondition cycles now on my (2) 6 volt golf cart batteries over the months with my Black & Decker 4/10/20/40 Smart charger, model VEC1093DBD.

The procedure basically is, set it to the type of battery you have, WET, in my case, then hit the Recondition button and walk away.
It runs for 24 hours.

The wierd thing that has happened to me everytime so far is, after 24 hours the recondition finished but the charger then switches to GEL battery type mode and starts running a charge cycle...

I thought maybe my charger was screwed up, but then a friend with one had the same thing happen...

Anyone else seen this trick?

Walt

Just had this happen last week. Haven't got a clue why.

Posted By: bill h on 11/20/07 03:23pm

I've got a recondition going with my 1095a right now, so will watch and report.

I think I remember that Gel is the default battery setting whenever it is plugged in or reset.

* This post was edited 11/20/07 03:51pm by bill h *

NOTE: Any incorrect spelling is intentional to prevent those annoying popups.

84 Barth 30Tag powered by HT502/Thorley/Weiand etc, Gear Vendors OD.
Siamese Calvin and Airedale Hobbes, 4WD Toyota toad

Posted By: Crazy Ray on 11/20/07 04:46pm

Walt, I have the 2/10/25 Vec and on page 9 , (The digtal readout will show "FUL" when the equalization process is complete), My charger has never went to "GEL" . I think you may have a problem???? Call them at 866-584-5504 toll free. JMO

RET ARMY 1980,DW Donna,"Tiny" (furkid) . Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford Chassis w/Steer Safe, 4SAMS 6Volts, 525W Solar , TriStar 45 Controller, Yamaha 2400, TOW: Honda CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream". NASCAR FAN 14,18,20,11 LOVE: CO,NM,AZ

Posted By: bill h on 11/21/07 12:50pm

bill h wrote:

I've got a recondition going with my 1095a right now, so will watch and report.

Crazy Ray wrote:

I have the 2/10/25 Vec and on page 9 , (The digtal readout will show "FUL" when the equalization process is complete), My charger has never went to "GEL" .

Ray, I have the same charger, and my page nine is like yours. They are talking about the Equalize mode on page 9, continued from page 8.

This morning, the desulfate cycle ran its course and the charger sat there reading "FULL" and the gel LED was on steady. The section of the manual makes no mention of whether this is normal or not.

I have a suspicion that the GEL mode is the default mode, as whenever it is first plugged in, the GEL LED is lit. This is neither here nor there, since the bat is full and is receiving little or no charge. It might even be a design feature, as the gel setting is probably a little more benign, and will not damage a wet battery, while the wet setting could be harmful to a gel battery.

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 11/22/07 01:53am

Gel is default. If you try to Equalize a GEL or AGM in wet mode the battery will explode so if you blow yourself up then you will have to over ride the default to do so leaving your poor wife with no way to sue.

I just picked up one at Wal-Mart tonight to use with my 48 volt Best UPS that has been loosing run time each month.

I think I am really going to like my 40/20/10/4 three stage Black and Decker charge. It seems like a great $95 solution for those of us without the three stage charging system along with an Equalizing mode and a Recondition mode (desulfate).

I about have the batteries charged and then am going to take them home with me so I do the 24 hour recondition mode Thanksgiving day because it is our main UPS for the servers.

The Schumacker 100/40/15/2 Smart Charge that I picked up 4 years ago is micro processor controlled as well but it is not a three stage plus I get flakey readings sometimes. The old Schauer 40/10/2 non computerized has been with me for 20 years and still works like new. Actually it comes in handy if you want to mess with a really dead battery because these new ones will not start ever charging if battery does not have a certain level of charge remaining.

It is really fast because being three phase it flat lines on stage 1 so it runs with a higher output longer than with a tapering charge system.

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 11/22/07 06:34am

Walt/others does the charger produce any heat or gas in the recondition mode?

Posted By: WaltinColo on 11/22/07 01:07pm

no.. not in recondition mode.
In equalize mode, since its boiling the battery a bit, it might.

Posted By: bill h on 11/22/07 01:25pm

Gale Hawkins wrote:

Walt/others does the charger produce any heat or gas in the recondition mode?

Not mine. Typically, desulfation puts a high frequency AC low current on the plates. I measured and found the voltage to be 13 something.

The desulfation feature would not function (fan did not run) with my Fluke 27 in the circuit, either on AC amps or DC amps setting.

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 11/22/07 11:35pm

Black & Decker VEC1093DBD Smart Battery
Charger 40/20/10/4 Amp

Here are some reviews on the VEC1093DBD charger. My first 24 hour recondition cycle completes at 7 AM and then I plan to start the equalization cycle. I am doing 4 75 AH batteries in parallel to same from doing them one at a time because they normally are connected in series. Does anyone know the run times for the equalization process or is that dependent on the state of charge, etc?

Print  |  Close