Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: What's happened to Excel?

Posted By: mike page on 12/18/08 11:30am

I need some help......

Last summer, I made arrangements to take my rig to Smith Center, Kansas, to the Peterson Industries plant to have some work done on my 28RGO. Serious work, big ticket work. The following is a couple letters I have since sent to Excel and have yet to recieve a reply. The first one, immediately below was 4 individual letters addressed to those identified as "company officers" on their web site. I figured that maybe a mail room clerk was trying to "protect" Mr. Peterson from dealing with this problem and had not forwarded my original letter on to him. Or worse case, one of the many relatives at Peterson was trying to protect someone that had some resposnibility in this issue. who knows. Anyway, I am not about to give up on this and am hoping that someone out there reads this post and has answer......
--------------------------------------------------------------------
To whom it may concern 6 Dec 2008

I am attaching a letter I sent to Mr. Peterson on the 24th of September. After not receiving a response six weeks later I emailed the attached letter to your sales email address. Again, no response. I am now forwarding this to those of you that are listed as “Company Officers” on your web site so that one of you might actually read about my experience with your Service Department.

I am an unhappy customer and I expect you to take whatever action is necessary to make the various issues I describe in the attached letter right. I went to a great deal of trouble and expense to bring my unit to you for repair. What you did is not acceptable, the quality of work is certainly not up to the standards I would expect to see performed by a company that is alleged to be among the best in the industry.

Your lack of a response is also not acceptable, and not indicative of a professional organization. You have not survived for 40 years in an industry where companies come and go with this level of service. As I stated in the attached letter, I am familiar with manufacturing after a 35 career in Aerospace and I was more than a little impressed with what you are doing in your factory, but your Service Department needs fixing, and the issues I raised on my unit need fixing as well.

Mike Page
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Vaughn Peterson 24 Sept 2008
Chief Executive Officer
Peterson Industries

Dear Mr. Peterson

We recently met while my wife and I were being given a plant tour after delivering my 2001 28RGO to your Service Center. While it was quiet on that Monday morning, I have many years in Aerospace Manufacturing and Quality Assurance and recognize a first class operation when I see one. It was obvious by the enthusiasm of our “tour guide”, Julie, and by looking at your line and the Quality of the materials used in your processes that you certainly deserve the reputation you have in the industry as one of the best if not the very best there is in manufacturing 5th wheel trailers.

The reason for this letter however, is not to praise your company but to inform you that the face to your customer, your Service Department, is clearly not as good at what they do as the rest of your company.

I’ll start at the beginning:

I called in early July and made an appointment for September to get some major repairs completed. At the time I told Jack Yenne that I had a delamination on the drivers side of my 5th wheel and that the rear slide lower frame was broken and causing the fiberglass to flex when the slide was moved in or out, two serious problems that would take some time to repair. While I was preparing for the trip to Smith Center I noticed that the frames around the slides on both the bedroom slide and the rear slide were out of square. This is to say that while the slide itself was square (verified with my framing square) the frame around it looked like a parallelogram. On further investigation I found that the situation only existed while the full weight of the rig was on the landing gear. When the weight was on the king pin, the frames around the slides went back to a nominally square position. When I got to the Service Department I showed this phenomenon to Jack and his Technicians and was informed that “they all flex a little”. While I would not argue that they might “all flex a little” I seriously doubt that you designed them to be hard up against the inner frame when in the retracted condition….which is exactly the case when the 5th wheel is resting on the landing gear. The interference is so bad on the top of the rear slide that a good shove is required to get the slide to seat properly if the 5th wheel is sitting on the landing gear. The paint is missing on the surfaces that are on a hard interference fit at the top right of the frame.

We discussed a number of other minor repairs that needed to be attended to and agreed that a week would be required to complete the work.

On the following Monday afternoon I arrived to find that much of the work had been completed unsatisfactorily. For example; I had asked for a couple of small cracks in the front cap to be repaired. They had been repaired all right, and painted with a color that did not match the rest of the cap. When questioned, the technician stated that “it wasn’t as bad as some“. Additionally, I had asked for all defective decals to be replaced. The one on the front cap had been replaced but evidently with a slightly different configuration that left the 8 year old outline of the old decal showing. This could have been remedied by simply painting the entire cap with the “color match that wasn’t as bad as some”.

When I checked the quality of the fiberglass replacement I was pretty impressed with the level of work until I opened the two doors on the side of the 5th wheel. These doors had suffered the same water damage as the side but had not been replaced. When questioned the technician stated that Jack never said anything about replacing the doors. So now I have a pair of doors that are only together because of the screws that hold the frame in place, the interior wood is completely rotted. I found his response to be totally unacceptable.

Another area that needed some attention was the valves for the black and grey water tanks. Both had minor seeps that had caused me to install a slide valve in front of the sewer connection to keep from dumping sewage on the ground when removing the cap. The black valve was replaced and the grey valve was repaired. On my way home I found that when dumping my grey water tank I now have water leaking from somewhere in the center of the frame, no doubt where the valve resides. I’ve never experienced this problem before and suspect that the hardware that was removed to facilitate the repair may not have been sealed or tightened properly.

A rather small issue but none the less relevant to the performance of your service department is my request to have the lens replaced on the assist handle. What should have been a simple job of snapping on a new lens at a cost of $1.89, instead turned out to be the changing out a defective switch at a cost of $5.65, and $42.50 in labor. My point here has nothing to do with the cost of the parts or labor, but more to do with the initiative showed to do the complete job correctly as opposed to completing the replacement of the fiberglass and framing on the side but not replacing the doors. There is something inherently wrong with the logic to do one and not the other.

Lastly, back to the flexing issue. When I picked up my 5th wheel the technician volunteered that various things had been done with the front frame to strengthen and minimize the flexing. While I did not get a clear understanding of his explanation I took his comments to mean that the problem was fixed…it is not, it is exactly the same as it was when I delivered the rig to your Service Center, after spending 6 days round trip and a couple of thousand dollars in expenses on the road.

I wouldn’t be so bold as to tell you, a very successful man, how to run your business, but your Service Center needs some serious management attention. This is the place where Excel owners judge your entire company. If they walk away from your Service Center with a bad taste in their mouth, it will have far reaching impact on the future of your company. What I haven’t told you is that your manager made a point of avoiding me when I came to pick up my rig. He spent 2 hours in his office on the phone and even though he knew I was waiting outside, ignored me. I am a somewhat imposing individual and work hard at not intimidating people I come in contact with, but his efforts to avoid me certainly don’t speak well for his customer service skills. To be honest, I am embarrassed to write this letter after all the glowing reports I have heard from Excel owners in person and read about Excel on the internet. But, I’m also damned upset about spending $7,000 to get work done on my rig that is not anywhere near the level of Quality I had expected from Excel.

Respectfully,

Michael W. Page

------------------------------------------------------------------

So, there yhou have it....am I the only one that has had a problem with these guys. I would appreciate any comments about where I go from here, they did a piss poor job on my rig and there is much that they started that is incomplete. I am absolutely astounded that a company like Peterson Industries would not at least send a response of some sort, a phone call or something.....

thanks in advance for your help, Mike

04 Dodge 3500 SRW 4X2 QC Cummins 48RE
Still researching RV......Jul 04, Found it!!!!!
01 Excel 28 RGO...Sweeeeet....

Posted By: Gunship Guy on 12/18/08 12:10pm

I hope you're able to get some resolution from the company. This sounds like a very frustrating situation.

Story...We were at the Tampa RV show a few years back searching for our perfect 5th wheel. While inside an Excel 5'er I noticed unusual gaps where the walls met the ceiling. I asked the Excel rep what might be causing that. He looked at the ceiling, looked at me, then turned and walked away. I thought that was exceptionally odd.

Needless to say, we scratched Excel off our list. Not because I felt Excel was a poor quality rv. Rather, I sensed a lack of customer concern. Looks like you're experiencing the same.

2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn LB DRW 4x4 Aisin 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites

Posted By: dmc16 on 12/18/08 12:18pm

You might try the Excel owners forum. Link

dmc
Fulltiming since Oct 09

Posted By: a_flyfisher on 12/18/08 12:26pm

I looked rather quickly at your letters, and didn't see where you asked for a reply.

Normally, when I go for service on my RV, car or truck, I get a work order listing the work to be performed, and sign off on it before the work begins. For my RV at least, I expect to be shown the completed work before I leave. If I wasn't shown the completed work, at least I'd look at it myself before paying the bill.

You start your post with "I need some help". I'm not clear what help you are looking for by posting here - sympathy maybe? - but rather than posting here, I'd think you'd have a much better chance of getting your rig fixed if you got on the telephone to Peterson Industries.

* This post was edited 12/18/08 02:25pm by a_flyfisher *

a_flyfisher

Posted By: mike page on 12/18/08 03:46pm

Evidently you don't own an Excel. The crack service manager at Excel simply made a bunch of notes on 3X5 cards and said the rig would be ready in a week. The only thing I noticed when I picked it up was the decals were not changed out. The technician changed them while I watched. I didn't notice the doors not being replaced until I got home. I did not notice the leak on the grey water tank until I dumped my tanks a week later.....as for sympathy, don't need it and I sure as hell wouldn't be asking for sympathy from a bunch of folks on a RV forum. What I was hoping for was someone who could give me some advice as to where I go from here.....i.e. is there a industry watchdog group that likes to hear about this sort of stuff or does the city of Smith Center have a chamber of commerce that would call on my behalf...just joking.....maybe you should try reading slower...

thanks for all your "help"...and oh by the way, I for one have always found that a letter, not a phone call or an email is the way to get someone's attention....I've sent 5 letters to Peterson so far without a response......trust me, I will not go quietly they will answer my complaints.....

Mike

Posted By: Downunda on 12/18/08 04:04pm

Certainly a letter is the most appropriate way to get your problems on record. Even though you may not have asked for a response or anything specific when outlining their service deficiencies anyone with a sense of customer satisfaction or pride in their product would get back to you promptly.

The fact that Peterson have not responded to you tells me a lot about the company.

Posted By: Rough2000 on 12/18/08 05:16pm

dmc16 wrote:

You might try the Excel owners forum. Link

Mike,

I see you were cut off at the knees real quick on Excels forum by the "ExcelRVGuy" , who by the way, is the President of Excel. It would lead me to believe that Excel has had these problems before. I guess all their statements about how great they are... is just blah-blah-blah.

* This post was edited 12/19/08 06:33am by Rough2000 *

If it moves but shouldn't, use Duct Tape. If it doesn't move but should, use WD40.

Posted By: Delaine and Lindy on 12/18/08 05:44pm

I don't think it does any good at all to complain on some of the RV owners forums. It seems that some are just cheerleading for their RV's and their owners group. But I also don't think it does any good to air dirty laundry on the forums. As soon as you do it will be on what ever RV forum your RV is from. I like Mike have found that its best to write to the company itself. It may just be time to talk to someone who can give you some professional advice. We have been very lucky with what ever RV manufactor of the 5th wheel we have owned. I try never to bash the RV company. I really haven't had good luck with RV dealerships and really try not to deal with them. I don't know how to fix the dealership problem. Because its our fault that they are so many bad ones out there. Mike I really hope you can get this problem corrected, and things get better for you. Good Luck. GBY...

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's LTZ ******Traded******
Trailer Saver Air Ride (SOLD) (Sold)

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3, with vanity slide (SOLD)

"Montana" our Sweet Furr Kid
12/21/10 "RIP" miss you!!

We are BLESSED!!!!

Posted By: TXiceman on 12/18/08 06:29pm

The cut off by the ExcelRVGuy is obviously trying to bury the problem like Excel never has any problems. Normally they stand up and fix problems, so I do not know why they will not fix this unit.

Stay after them until you get a response let us know how it comes out.

ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Posted By: bstark on 12/18/08 06:46pm

The value in an "Owner's" forum is enhanced by it's members abilities to overcome the usual tendancy to "protect the breed" and give unbiased answers to those who post with problems and if the owners allow one spokesperson to "bully" detractors, everyone suffers in the end, including the owners.

A company observing a forum of their customers design/making and seeing this behaviour happening would basicly consider themselves well insulated from any complaints arriving through that forum and therefore keep operating in a 'business as usual' mode.

How anyone could possibly think protecting the "Name' of any RV from besmirching from other owners with bully tactics could be a good thing is beyond me. The owners who are regular posters on that club forum should do the right thing and reign in "bully boy"!

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Posted By: 2blackdogs on 12/19/08 04:17am

Is your Excel 8 years old ?

Posted By: banjo on 12/19/08 05:30am

I noticed that too. The letter said it was a 2001 model! I know Excel now has a two year warranty, don't know what it was back in 2001.

Banjo
2011 3500 DRW D/A CC LB 4X4
2011 Cameo 34SB3

Posted By: TXiceman on 12/19/08 05:53am

No matter what the age, Excel should respond to a complaint. When complaints go un answered, they just fester and get ugly.

You may not like the answer you receive, but, the letter should be answered.

Ken

Posted By: SweetLou on 12/19/08 06:22am

a_flyfisher wrote:

I looked rather quickly at your letters, and didn't see where you asked for a reply.

Normally, when I go for service on my RV, car or truck, I get a work order listing the work to be performed, and sign off on it before the work begins. For my RV at least, I expect to be shown the completed work before I leave. If I wasn't shown the completed work, at least I'd look at it myself before paying the bill.

You start your post with "I need some help". I'm not clear what help you are looking for by posting here - sympathy maybe? - but rather than posting here, I'd think you'd have a much better chance of getting your rig fixed if you got on the telephone to Peterson Industries.

I think receiving a letter like this is explaination enough and a response should have been given by the manufacturer. I don't feel that he was looking for "sympathy" and your comment was not necessary. When something is in writing it then doesn't become hearsay.

2005 3500 Cummins HO Quadcab 4x2 3.73 6 spd man, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Posted By: Gunship Guy on 12/19/08 07:26am

2blackdogs wrote:

Is your Excel 8 years old ?

The trailer may be 8 yrs old but the shoddy repair work and poor treatment from the factory is brand new.

Posted By: golf_bears on 12/19/08 09:58am

As I understand, here are the facts you’ve presented:

1. Your RV was manufactured in 2001
2. You paid $7000 to Excel to have some serious problems fixed
3. You’ve spent a few thousand dollars going to and returning home from the factory
4. You are dissatisfied with the quality of the repairs
5. There are some repairs that were not completed
6. You have written to Excel management with no response

So far I have to agree with your professional approach and have to assume that all the facts are on the table?

At this point I would strongly suggest that perhaps you should contact Trailer Life Magazine’s “RV Action Line”. Present them with copies of all your communications and documents. They have been very successful at solving many similar issues with unresponsive and/or uncooperative manufacturers. They can be contacted at 800-825-6861 ask for Customer Service, you might even ask to speak with Chuck Campbell.

If you do not have a subscription to Trailer Life at worst it may cost you a well worth subscription.

Good luck with getting this all resolved and keep us posted.

Posted By: Rick007 on 12/19/08 12:36pm

Call Hiways Mag or Trailer Life and talk to their folks

Posted By: GBuilders on 12/19/08 12:49pm

golf_bears wrote:

As I understand, here are the facts you’ve presented:

1. Your RV was manufactured in 2001
2. You paid $7000 to Excel to have some serious problems fixed
3. You’ve spent a few thousand dollars going to and returning home from the factory
4. You are dissatisfied with the quality of the repairs
5. There are some repairs that were not completed
6. You have written to Excel management with no response

So far I have to agree with your professional approach and have to assume that all the facts are on the table?

At this point I would strongly suggest that perhaps you should contact Trailer Life Magazine’s “RV Action Line”. Present them with copies of all your communications and documents. They have been very successful at solving many similar issues with unresponsive and/or uncooperative manufacturers. They can be contacted at 800-825-6861 ask for Customer Service, you might even ask to speak with Chuck Campbell.

If you do not have a subscription to Trailer Life at worst it may cost you a well worth subscription.

Good luck with getting this all resolved and keep us posted.

I agree with golf. Trailer Life is a good resource and the action line does get things done. Good luck

Have a Blessed Christmas Everyone

2007.5 Dodge Megacab DRW 4x4 6.7 w/6 speed auto, 3:73 & prodigy BC
2005 Jayco Eagle 305 BHS

Posted By: penn on 12/19/08 01:10pm

The RV Consumer Group gave The Excel the 4 star rating!!

I believe that the RVCG would like to have your feedback on this very bad treatment. http://www.rv.org

Thank you for telling us about this unaceptable treatment.

Posted By: penn on 12/19/08 04:20pm

Quote from dmc16--
You might try the Excel owners forum.

He did post it on the Excel forum and the Excel guy first tryed to sweep it under the rug and then the topic was locked!!
Way to go Excel, and just one more reason why I will not consider an Excel RV.

Posted By: Rough2000 on 12/19/08 04:44pm

Mike,

The moderator on the Excel owner forum is saying that Peterson Ind have contacted you and they are trying to work out something. Is this true, if so, how's it working out. If not, how can we give you additional help?

Posted By: gmachine on 12/19/08 09:13pm

Sorry to hear of your shabby treatment, but after our experience returning a NEW UNIT all the way from Florida to Smith Center, KS with over 50 different defects I'm not surprised. Some of our "repairs" fell off before we got out of Kansas!

Parallelograms are business as usual in an Excel unit, I've worked on several on ours, both inside and out.

Check your slide seals for tears and pressure ruptures. Check your Darco cover under your slides for abrasion due to mislocation/misalignment during construction also.

Check your side to side weights for compatibility with tire & axle capacities.

You are fanning your a** trying to get any honest response on the Excel owners site; the people who run it seem to be self serving bottom feeders who just want to appear to be important, and you already are aquainted with Mr. Tillet.

Sue Excel in your local court or fix the defects yourself as I did. Excel management, in my opinion, are a disreputable group. Based on my 40 yrs. experience designing and building aluminum diecasting, plastic extrusion, and sheet metal forming tooling, not to mention way too many hours fabricating special machine structures, I believe I can safely opine that they build poorly engineered products, and have no inspection protocol.

Once again, sorry about your treatment and hope you come out better than we did.
Jim

Bering MD23(Cummins ISB)w/60" flattop Kenworth sleeper & 2005 Excel 35MKO Limited, 2006 Scion XA.

Posted By: rockintom on 12/19/08 09:35pm

Good Lord Jim, checking out your signature...are you still in the piece of junk Excel? Why? If I was that unhappy as you describe, it would be in the junkyard. I wouldn't be seen in it. What gives? rockintom

* This post was edited 12/20/08 01:36pm by rockintom *

Rockintom
'12 Excel Limited GKE 33 ft., trailer named "Charm"
'14 1 ton Chevy DRW D/A Reese 20K hitch Fold-A-Cover bedcover - truck named "Bullet" Fulltiming since 2005

Posted By: Jack in Alaska on 12/19/08 11:43pm

Approx. 5 yrs. ago, when I was looking for a new 5th.whl., my neighbor purchased a new Excel down in America and towed it home to Alaska. He was emptying his house and going full timing. I looked the Excel over one day and noticed cracks in the siding radiating away from openings like cargo doors and slide out openings. It also had poorly sealed seams in the siding. That was all I needed to see. Could never understand the 4 star rating they had.

2004.5 Dodge 3500 CTD 325/610 Laramie DRW 4x4 6spd 3.73
Smarty Jr; HiJacker Hitch;TrailAir pinbox;Prodigy;PacBrake;
Access cover;DeeZee;LightForce road lites; Westach EGT/Boost

2012 Jayco Jay Flite 40FER Bungalow TT

Yamaha 3000 iSEB gen.

Posted By: MichaelC on 12/20/08 12:47am

I have been on this site almost daily for over 9 years, and this is the first negative thing I have seen about Excel. I have toured their factory, and gone through them and visited with the factory rep at several rv shows, and always come away very impressed with the product and the company.

You would be hard pressed to name another manufacture that has had only one issue in 9 years.

2008 Ford F-450 King Ranch
2000 SE102 Snowbird 34+2

Posted By: mwebber78 on 12/20/08 06:49am

It's not how many issues a manuf. has it's how they respond. For example, Crossroads and Jayco build many, many units of average quality. If you do a search you'll find they respond very well to issues and take care of their customers.

Just becuase they have, as you said "had only one issue in 9 years" doesn't forgive the poor treatment or lack of assistance to a customer. I appreciate gmachine making his post - he doesn't bash but simply states the facts of his case.

To me it sounds like they dropped the ball for gmachine and the OP.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

Posted By: wayne_tw on 12/20/08 07:03am

The only thing I can add to the OP is that while his letters are well written, they appear to be whining and nit picking. I am not saying the problems are minor, but the extreme unnecessary details in the letters are not relevant and make the writer appear to be whining and nit picking. A well written business letter gets to the point with major details, and is only one page in length.

Having said that, it appears to me you have gotten your answer from the manufacturer. Sometimes silence speaks volumes.

Posted By: Gunship Guy on 12/20/08 07:22am

MichaelC wrote:

I have been on this site almost daily for over 9 years, and this is the first negative thing I have seen about Excel. I have toured their factory, and gone through them and visited with the factory rep at several rv shows, and always come away very impressed with the product and the company.

You would be hard pressed to name another manufacture that has had only one issue in 9 years.

So, because something isn't mentioned on rv.net means it doesn't happen? Do you realize there are a ton of rv'ers out there who have never even heard of rv.net.

ALL rv's have problems of some sort. Don't kid yourself into thinking Excel is made with magic.

Posted By: RandACampin on 12/20/08 09:07am

Two sides to every story....so far I have only heard from one side.

-rog

Posted By: jmaklary on 12/20/08 12:21pm

Thats because the other side won't respond. If they would have responded to the problem I don't think it would have been posted.
I for one want to hear all of the problems folks have with their RVs. The good news takes care of itself. What I hear I would check out when buying another unit and if the bad news it about the unit I own I would watch for the same problem so maybe it can be fixed before it becomes a big problem.
All that being said we are our worst enemy by not doing a better job of checking things before we pay for them. I have made this mistake a few times. Slow learner

John & Wilma

Posted By: Vulcaneer on 12/20/08 04:23pm

Planning to replace my 5'er in a few years. Excel was high on my list. I have crossed them off the list now. Who needs them.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

Posted By: Rough2000 on 12/20/08 01:50pm

RandACampin wrote:

Two sides to every story....so far I have only heard from one side.

-rog

If you want to see the other side of the story go to the Excel Owners Link where first the President of Excel tried to shut the discussion down, and then the moderator closed the thread. They have really used gestapo tactics to shut down this discussion. I now understand their forums title "Excel Owners Forum". It is the "Owners" forum...not the "Trailer Owners" forum. Up until this time I thought a lot of Excel...but when a company will not respond to a customer, even if the customer is wrong...then something is wrong with that company. I'm not trying to take sides on the repair problem, just the common business sense.

Posted By: rockintom on 12/20/08 01:51pm

Jack in Alaska wrote:

Approx. 5 yrs. ago, when I was looking for a new 5th.whl., my neighbor purchased a new Excel down in America and towed it home to Alaska. He was emptying his house and going full timing. I looked the Excel over one day and noticed cracks in the siding radiating away from openings like cargo doors and slide out openings. It also had poorly sealed seams in the siding. That was all I needed to see. Could never understand the 4 star rating they had.

Hey Jack,

I think you're the Jack that we parked by in Palm Creek in CG, AZ. Based on your comments and Larry B's info he's passed on to me, you have had a few issues on your MS (sorry if your not him). None of these things are perfect, especially when we run them up and down the bumpy road. That said, I think every manufacturer out there could do a better job on intial quality. I personally think us "boomers" are willing to pay...but we want good quality. I don't think the weekend warriors, and/or low end trailer folks demand near the quality than us that FT and call them home! And obviously, I know our forefathers didn't have the demands we seem to have. Guess all products have got a little better with technology! Later, Tom

Posted By: bstark on 12/20/08 06:57pm

jmaklary very eloquently laid the blame for this and other examples of manufacturer's ignoring their obligations exactly where it belongs; on those of us who rush to purchase our dream items without observing due diligence.

I recently witnessed a friend from Manitoba Canada take delivery of a used Teton coach he'd purchased over the phone sight unseen from a dealer in Cleburne Texas and was astounded to see the level of consideration he got from that dealer up to and including 2 free weeks in an RV park nearby to "try out" his purchase before paying final amount with technicians dispatched within the hour to his site to fix those items he found lacking.

If this is the type of service that gives this dealer of used units a growing customer base I certainly believe this is the level of attention purchasers of new coaches deserve. Manufacturer's should be reminded occassionally that those years of selling everything they could build are OVER! Ignoring a customer complaint that crosses a desk in writing is playing Russian Roulette in this day of public forums and flagging sales.

Posted By: gmachine on 12/20/08 07:00pm

rockintom:
I wrote a check for $67,000 for this trailer. Couldn't throw that in the JUNKYARD so, between surgeries and chemo treatments, I fixed it myself, except for the MorRyde IS, which was done in the Elkhart MorRyde factory.

With your undoubtedly huge income from your comedy routine this would probably be an inconsequential expenditure to you, but we are not all so fortunate.

After all our repairs and modifications, this is a very liveable unit, but no thanks to Excel warranty service.

Jim

Posted By: rockintom on 12/20/08 08:00pm

gmachine wrote:

rockintom:
I wrote a check for $67,000 for this trailer. Couldn't throw that in the JUNKYARD so, between surgeries and chemo treatments, I fixed it myself, except for the MorRyde IS, which was done in the Elkhart MorRyde factory.

With your undoubtedly huge income from your comedy routine this would probably be an inconsequential expenditure to you, but we are not all so fortunate.

After all our repairs and modifications, this is a very liveable unit, but no thanks to Excel warranty service.

Jim

Thanks for responding Jim,

Sorry to hear you paid $67,000 for a '05 MKO...even if it every option available, you got took. Like Dr. Phil says "What were you thinking"?

Glad you've got it all fixed up and all is well. And hope you are doing well from your chemo, etc.

You're right I am Blessed to have lots of money to play with...comedy pays really well. We really miss your smiling face and great disposition on that biased based Excel forum. I'm sure if you came back I would work hard on doing some comedy with you....I promise. No charge! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

* This post was last edited 12/20/08 09:33pm by rockintom *

Posted By: ChiefJohn on 12/21/08 08:32am

Jim (gmachine), I'm surprised you're still espousing your negative agenda concerning Excel and Peterson Industries. I've visited SC several times and have gotten nothing but outstanding service -- leads me to believe that your attitude may be most of your problem. As is common on forums, folks with no knowledge of the situation are quick to jump on your bandwagon. We've heard your tales of woe for several years and I doubt there's anything Peterson Industries could do to make you a "Happy Camper".

John, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
Marilyn, Co-Pilot/Navigator
Misha & Sophie (Bichon Frise)
2008 Winnebago Vectra, 2010 Jeep Wrangler

Posted By: bstark on 12/21/08 09:43am

John; while making your response to a post made by gmachine, you have perhaps inadvertently inferred that those of us responding to this thread may be "ignorant" of the facts per the O/P's situation. I'm sure that was not your intent as his case seems to be well laid out with facts to support every facet of his problem including the response by Peterson, vis-a-vis their attempt to stifle his efforts via the Excel owner's forum.

I have not directly responded to gmachine's post at all but rather to the situation faced by the O/P (mike page) and still stand by my posts that are trying to convey that Peterson Ind should have made some attempt to respond to the letters written to them directly prior to any attempt by the O/P to go public with his problems.

Perhaps you as a fellow owner could provide some help to the O/P (mike page) via the owner's club rather than simply taking one more opportunity to castigate a fellow owner (gmachine) who has perhaps bored you folks with his complaints.

As always "just my humble opinion"!

Posted By: mwebber78 on 12/21/08 10:01am

BruceStarkey wrote:

John; while making your response to a post made by gmachine, you have perhaps inadvertently inferred that those of us responding to this thread may be "ignorant" of the facts per the O/P's situation. I'm sure that was not your intent as his case seems to be well laid out with facts to support every facet of his problem including the response by Peterson, vis-a-vis their attempt to stifle his efforts via the Excel owner's forum.

I have not directly responded to gmachine's post at all but rather to the situation faced by the O/P (mike page) and still stand by my posts that are trying to convey that Peterson Ind should have made some attempt to respond to the letters written to them directly prior to any attempt by the O/P to go public with his problems.

Perhaps you as a fellow owner could provide some help to the O/P (mike page) via the owner's club rather than simply taking one more opportunity to castigate a fellow owner (gmachine) who has perhaps bored you folks with his complaints.

As always "just my humble opinion"!

It's called blind brand loyalty. I doubt anything any owner went through could sway a "blinded" owner into supporting someone who owns the same brand and has something negative to say about it.

But I'm just ignorant so Merry Christmas and I'll continue on my blissful journey of ignorance along wtih the other posters in this thread.

God bless!

Posted By: mike page on 12/21/08 10:47am

The issue I've been having with Excel has generated a heck of a lot more interest than I ever imagined. I just checked the Excel Owners site and they have shut down the topic, and the group over there was not nearly as vocal as this one....imagine that.

To give you an update, I received a "private" email from the president of Excel two days after I posted the letters on this site and was asked to call him so we could come to some mutually satisfactory agreement on a course of action. Evidently he failed to notice my telephone number on the bottom of the letter I sent to Vaughn Peterson, the CEO on Sept 24th. On Saturday I recieved a letter from Jack Yenne, the service manager, going thru all the various complaints and offering to repair or replace the access doors. He also gave an explanation of why the color of the repair on the front cap is different than the original. He says that in a year or so it will fade to the extent that it will look like the rest of the cap. As for the leak, he offered to pay whatever labor was required to fix the problem. He also gave an explanation of what was done to "fix" the slide frames and it was about as bogus as the "they all flex a little" comment he made when I showed him the problem. Anyway, they evidently did some bracing under the bedroom slide to fix the problem but of course the problem still exists and the slides are hard up on the rear of the frames when the rig is on the landing gear with the slides in the closed position, exactly like they were when I showed him the problem.

One area of his letter that bothers me is his comment that "my technicians don't make repairs to items that are not on the work orders". The fact is that I never saw a work order until it came time to pay the bill, I watched Jack make notes on a piece of scratch paper, no work order was ever generated for me to see and approve...it's clear to me now that "shame on me" for thinking that the work I wanted done was pretty straight forward. The major part of which was replacing the entire street side outer wall from the front of the rear slide forward to the front cap due to water damage...the doors are part of that area and the old story of "assuming" something is understood came back to bite me.

So, there you have it. I appreciate all the comments both positive and negative on this thread. If nothing else, I know that if Peterson or any other manufacturer decides to ignore a customer with a legitimate complaint there is a resource to bring the issue to their attention. As I stated in my first post, my guess is that the company is so closely interconnected, which is to say there are a lot of relatives working at Excel and if not related have known each other all their lives, that someone in the mailroom probably shortstopped my letter to Mr. Peterson so as to not cause any trouble for a relative, friend or neighbor.....

On a side note, I noticed a couple of folks commented on the fact that my rig is 8 years old....I can't imagine that the age of your rig would have anything to do with the quality of work you would expect to be performed, and for what it's worth, my 2001 looks like it may be a 2007.....

And for all those that badmouthed Excel saying they would never, ever, buy such a product from a company that treats the customers the way I was treated.....take a deep breath, these guys build the best I have seen, and I have seen them all. I spent a career in Manufacturing Quality Assurance and know a great product when I see one...and Excel is a great product....they suffer from the same problem most companies suffer from, things would be a whole lot better in this world if you didn't have to deal with people......

Mike

Posted By: bstark on 12/21/08 06:11pm

Mike: good post and congratulations on achieving some resolution to your problems. A shame that your attempts to contact them directly were ignored and resorting to public forums was your only option left. The fact that they've now contacted you directly gives credence to the fact that they at least care about their reputation and value it enough to attempt to resolve your complaints.

You have also accepted some of the responsibility for your predicament by acknowledging your failure to verify every item to be addressed and not asking to see and sign a work-order. All of us have been guilty of that little transgression from time to time as we all want the total dealer experience to be as short and painless as possible.

Good Luck and smooth sailing.

Posted By: penn on 12/21/08 07:25pm

What a crappy post by chiefyjohn--
There is a tactic that -if you can not address the issue, then attack the messenger!!

I think many people know that he is a vested spokeperson for Excel and has been for quite some time. Hardly an unbiased person. With all the brown noseing he does for Excel, I would bet that he DOES get some perks!

Posted By: Skyfarmer on 12/25/08 02:53pm

My 2003 Excel 28RGO is doing just fine, and we couldn't be happier with the quality. Before I bought it (used), I called Peterson and actually was connected to a vice-president who spent time talking about the coach. I hope in the future, if I have any problems, I will get the same courteous treatment. For now, it is a great rig.

Print  |  Close