|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Heating Ducts

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
tlgardner108

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/09 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The DW and I love camping in the winter time. The only problem is she complains that the bedroom is cold on her side. Has anyone ever put in an additional heating duct? If so was it very difficult.

The Pogy
2000 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel
2005 268RLDS Springdale
Connecticut
1DW, and 2 Ford Products (Cats; Mustang, and Kougar)

swebber

Bluemont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/09 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For all of the work that would have to be done would she consider trading sides ??

Steve Webber
2013 RAM 3500 Dually, 6.7 Cummins and all the bells and whistles
2009 Jayco Eagle 324BHDS "CramalotInn III",Reese DCHP, Atwood 3500, BAL Deluxe Chocks, Weber Baby Q & Q200, Champion 2000W Inverter & 4000W gennie's
My Camping Pic's

tlgardner108

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/09 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did try trading sides. We tried it for a week. It was not pertty. Niether of us were able to sleep. 28 years of always sleeping on the same side of the bed will do that to you.

Rolling Condo

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/09 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there is a window on her side of the bed, that is probably where the cold intrusion is coming from. A couple of ideas, a shrink film storm window kit or measure and have 1/8" plexiglass cut to cover the windows. You can use the small mirror clips to hold in place or as I did, use strips of Velcro. It made a big difference in comfort. I too was miserable sleeping with the cold air seeping in.

'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

swebber

Bluemont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/09 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have access to under the floor in that area ?

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/09 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Much better solution might be to purchase a heated mattress.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/09 04:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd suggest a $15 ceramic cube heater or oil filled radiator type before trying to modify the duct work, assuming you use campgrounds with electricity.
bumpy

tlgardner108

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/09 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the suggestions; right now we are using a electric blanket on the bed. I did put the plastic film on the windows and I also have them covered with the foil bubble insulation. I do have access to the bottom of the trailer. But I will have to cut a hole in the fabric that keystone uses on the underside of the trailer. As far as an electric heater I have tried that once, it seemed to draw to much current and started to over heat. It got to a minus 7 degrees last night here in Connecticut. DW she just piled on a couple of extra blankets. Just asked her this morning if she got cold she said she was fine.

JBarca

Dublin, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/09 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To your 1st question, installing extra ducts. Pending furnace, TT layout and the way it is built, this can be easy or complex.

See here from my prior TT. It had a Atwood Hyrotherm furnace. On this model there are extra ports where you can attach an extra duct. However these type systems do not have dampers from the factory and are not balanced so adding 1 more duct will change what ever you had before coming out the other ducts. This may not be a problem, just noting it will change and you may have to add a level of damper to balance the heat out.

The other heads up is, that extra duct will give more heat to the bed room like you want but it might be too much…. But you can baffle it down some if needed. We winter camp as well and have to set the T stat at 65 at night or else when the furnace kicks too often we roast….

The hard part comes running the duct. This all depends on TT layout. Mine older one had the furnace, kitchen sink area, bath shower area and then bed room all on one wall. The camper was built so ducts could slide down thru those common spaces to the bedroom above the floor line.

On my current camper, I have an enclosed bottom. Here 3 ducts go down in that space, convect heat off in that space then go back up thru the floor to the bed room and bath room on the other side of the camper. Here is a pic of the new TT with the cover off

So is adding an extra duct doable? yes. How complex, well it depends on the TT layout and how your TT maker built it.

We use the oil filled heater which is more passive, no fan noise running and it does not blow on us. We have this at the end of the bed about 3 feet away in the hall to the bed room. I also in winter bring into the camper an extra 120 lead line, (12 ga.) just to run that extra heater. My camper is set up so I can put the extra lead line in along with the main 30 amp cord and get the extra line into the camper space.

Hope this helps and stay warm. It hit – 15F hear last in central Ohio. Burr..

John

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

tlgardner108

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/09 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John,
Thanks for the info, and pictures. My trailer uses a single metel duct down the center of the trailer. Also our trailer has a bedroom slide. Which cause the bed to sit sideways. The only heating duct in the bedroom is just inside the bedroom door.So what I was thinking of was to actually continue the duct another 5 feet as this will extend it to the other side of the bed. And give a second heating duct. As for running a second 110v extension cord into the trailer just for the heater I never thought of doning that. Thanks Tom

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Heating Ducts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS