|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Cracks in Nose cone

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rvdudes2

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/09 12:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2008 Fleetwood Wilderness and the exact same thing happened to us last year. We stored it outside for the first winter and when we towed it home last spring we noticed cracks in the nose cone in the exact same spots as your pictures. We temporarily patched the cracks with outdoor silicone until a replacement nose cone could be obtained.

The most likely reason for the damage was the freeze/thaw cycle that occurs during the winter months.

This year we stored our unit inside a quonset and there were no problems.

Sorry to hear about your issue and hope that you can get it fixed soon.

2005 Ford F350 Dually, Crew Cab
2009 Fleetwood Terry
2 Parents, 2 Boys, 2 Dogs, and 1 noisy bird

KTM570

Storage

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 02:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

creeper wrote:

I saw the same thing the other day. Driving down Rt. 95 I passed a Fifth with his whole nose cap collapsing and bending in the wind. We ran into at a rest area and I went and spoke to him. I told him what was happening and he couldn't believe it. He was wondering where all his nose cracks were coming from.

+1 seen this on several Fivers myself traveling the Interstates....

Rvpapa

Alberta , Can.

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just an off the wall thought. If the nose was facing south on a nice sunny COLD day, that plastic cap is going to try to expand a LOT. Since it is firmly fastned to a frame that won't really move, ?????
Art.

sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How was the snowload at the farm this year? Edmonton had some deep snow, if I recall, as well as some chilly temps.

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/09 03:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

What a bummer. Sorry to see such damage to your RV. I hope you can still get a replacemtn Cap for it. But if you can't, I don't think having a new Cap made from scratch is going to be that easy. Like everything, enought money can fix anything. I would look into some Top Quality Body Shops. My younger brothers 28 ft Toyhauler had a real bad Tire Blow-Out, and caused an awlful lot of of side wall damage, including the wheel well as well. One of his many talents is also an expert Body and paint man, even thought by trade, he is a Mech. He fixed the side wall himself, and had his 28ft Toyhauler back on the road in 3 weeks. Most of that time, he was waiting for the wheel well replacement trim. The side wall damage was fixed in the first week. His damage can not be detected by anyone, its so perfectly done. I think a good Body Shop would be a lot better choice to repair your 5er, than an RV Repair Place, with their over priced labor costs. Just a thought for you. Hope you get it fixed quickly and back on the road as soon as possible. Good Luck. Happy Camping. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

RV Trax

Panama City Beach

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/09 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at the pictures, It seems that there may be a structural frame problem causing flex to cause that kind of damage. This can be a warning indicating major structural problems are occurring. I would most definitely have this inspected professionally before performing any cosmetic repairs.

RedRam

Moved from the smallest county in Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/09 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrock29 wrote:

He said he would just duct tape it till the new nose came in. Would hold up, just look terrrible. he also said that if a new nose cone couldn't ce found he would be willing to try and use the old cone as a mold to create a fiberglass cone. What would you do? Any advise>

If it were me i would try to get a replacement but reading the feedback in this thread about other caps cracking i'm not sure i would want another one.Why not let him make a mold using the cap and have a good one from fiberglass ?. I know a man that broke several fenders on his corvette at different times and he made molds from another corvette.Get an estimate from him compared to a new cap and weigh the difference in cost.

Philles

Alberta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/09 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have some bad news for you we have a 2007 wilderness and had the same thing happen to us the nose cone was replaced (under warranty)and we where told that the new one was a different mold and material.
The shape is a bit different but it is the same stuff as before because it happened again and the warranty is no more.
Fleetwood won't do anything about it, as in replacing it again.
The rv place had a person come in to fix it and tomorrow we will find out how good of a job he has done.
And then we will put it up for sale because we where told that this is a problem with these nose cones.
I think that they use the wrong material for our cold climate because all the newer rv's have the "gel cap" nose cones and they don't seem to have our problem as far as I know.
I am sure you did'nt want to hear this but it is better to know what is going on

OktsCamp

Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/09 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy, I just noticed that all of the similar cracked front cap responses are in Canada, Alberta and Saskatchean I believe. Maybe our winters are too cold for these things or something. I know for sure that the one I have will be the last TT or FW that own that has an ABS front cap...garbage!

Seeking Class "A"

Sundowner1

Chesapeake, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/09 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your nose cone (front cap) is fiberglass. I had an 04 Quantum AX6 and it was damaged by a flying object. Looked like a baseball had struckit and damaged a corner about half way up the side. You could see the fiberglass matting.

It was repaired and you absolutely could not tell it had been fixed.

Sundowner

04 Chevy2500HD, Duramax, ext cab, short bed, 4X4
08 Fleetwood Quantum 325RKTS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Cracks in Nose cone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts