|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> increase towing capacity

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
melcole

home

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/09 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a diesel pusher on a freightliner chassis it has a 10,000 pd towing capacity how can I increase this? Here are some things I've been told 1. change the rear diff it has a 17000 pd change it to a bigger one.
2. increase the rear tire size for greater load handling.
3. put a wheel assist on the trailer tongue.
Does anyone have any idea what will work?

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/09 10:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suspect you issue is the hitch itself! assuming a hitch is installed. Another problem with some MH;s, altho probably not a pusher style, is the LONG overhang, and additional length add by the MH manufacture. I do not think this is an issue with a pusher.

In the end tho, trailer tow capacity is not a given. I personally do not follow them. but use as a guideline. Otherwise, why are two rigs, same chassis, one with a 5000 lb capacity, the other 12K lbs, what basic differences is there? NONE other than a motor, and axel ratio. Some cases only an axel ratio. So this tells me tow ratings are nothing more than performance factors. SO as long as you know, you will go slower than the factory engineers want you to go to there performance standards, you can go higher.

As far as option #2, bigger taller tires will reduce the overall ratio, making take offs harder, NOT a good option. Reducng the axel ratio, good to bad. If you have a double OD trans, taller ratio's, not too bad, but if your already on the low end of things, you may make things worst than need be.

Marty

05 Chev CC D/A LS Dooley

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
3 Single axle utility trailers

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

wittmeba

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/09 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Payload/hauling(vertical measurement) and towing(horizontal measurement) are two different measurements.

The rear end change might help the towing(horizontal) but I dont think the tires/wheels will.

The tires/wheels might affect or be affected by the payload/hauling(vertical) capacity. Suspension and tires are in play here.

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefox® 26.0.1

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/09 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is a "wheel assist on the tongue?"

10,000lbs towing capacity is phenomenal for a motorhome. What are you trying to tow?

You may or may not need to make modifications to tow more. It will depend on where your pusher rig is with regards to its existing capacity. That means you need to weigh it and find out what the axle and tire ratings are now.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

LIKE2BUILD

Mt. Zion, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/09 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

I've seen a couple of different brands advertised on the net, but I could only find this Hitch Helper in a quick search. I've seen others with dual tires and higher load capacities, but this gives a good idea of what he's talking about.

'02 Jayco Qwest 324G
'04 Chevy 2500HD CrewCab |6.0L|2X4|4.10:1 | Eaton Posi-Trac
Curt MagnumV receiver
Eaz-Lift Hitch with Reese Dual Cam
2000 Crownline 205BR
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (12, 6, & 4)
1 forgiving wife!!!

melcole

home

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/09 10:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In addition to my 1st post I have 35.5 class A on a frieghtliner chassis and I want to pull a 30 foot stacker trailer with 2 cars,a quad and tools. The trailer wieghs 18000 pds loaded but the motorhome is rated to pull 10,000 pds I need to know how to get the motorhome up to 20,000 pds please help.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/09 10:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you currently have a hitch installed? if so, what is the capacity of said hitch? if 10K lbs, then that is your problem. Get a hitch good to 20K lbs, Which in reality, will probably be a pintle style hitch vs a ball mount. You may also have to have said hitch custom made to your rig.

marty

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/09 05:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

have you been to Freightliner or the DP manufacture for their input on doubling your equipments towing capacity.

I'm sure folks on the class A forums with a DP may have info for you. Check them out.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Londo13

Hammond

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/10 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

10,000lbs towing capacity is phenomenal for a motorhome. What are you trying to tow?

You may or may not need to make modifications to tow more. It will depend on where your pusher rig is with regards to its existing capacity. That means you need to weigh it and find out what the axle and tire ratings are now.

I think this is what he is refering to;

http://trailertoad.com/index.html

This removes the tongue weight but doesn't help with the stopping power. And frame strength is still an issue in the long term.

Bruce & Tam
2 Fur Kids (Labradorables) Troyer & Wiseco
Going Full Time in the Near Future

"Never argue with Idiots. They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> increase towing capacity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS