|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Bunk latches

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Baidy

Walkerton On

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/09 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can any one tell me where I can buy the new style bunk latches to replace the knob setup? In Ontario if possible. They look and work so much better than the screw knobs.

Coyotecprs

chicago

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/09 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Baidy wrote:

Can any one tell me where I can buy the new style bunk latches to replace the knob setup? In Ontario if possible. They look and work so much better than the screw knobs.

Here is the information I have from somebody that posted it a while ago.

You can also order them directly through Fastec Industrial. P/N 65004-100 (cargo vise, bar lock handle, white powder coat)$10 each and P/N 65006-100 (bar lock, white powder coat)$6 each. Ask to have them keyed alike. They don't come with the little foam pad on the back, but she said she would give me some rubber material to use. You have to supply your own hardware. The number is 1-800-837-2505 ask for Felicity "Flip" Miller.

Installation is pretty straight forward. Remove the old screw latches, figure out what hardware you're going to need (either nuts & bolts or lag bolts, etc). Drill your appropriate sized holes for mounting the lock set and the lock handle. caulk to seal up any exposed holes and you're good to go. Look through all 6 pages of this post for pictures and you'll get the general idea of what you need to do.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.7 Hemi
2007 Jayco Jay Flight 30.5 BHS

bamaram2002

Central Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/09 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW - Felicity "Flip" Miller is no longer with Fastec, but they still have people to help you. It also took me about 3 tries through out the day each time I called to get anyone to answer. Some days I never got an answer, so be patient and keep trying.

As for mounting the latch itself, it is best to use T-nuts so that you don't have a bolt and nut protruding through the bunk door to tear up your mattress.

Mike, Michele, Hannah (13) and Elijah (10)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab
2003 KZ Coyote 23CT
Family Travel Photo Album

firefighter938

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/09 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I called the Lock Division of Fastec Industries today. If you call there direct # they answered right away 1-574-266-9374. I talked with Debbie and she was very helpfull and said they would be shipped by Wendsday. $16.00 a set plus shipping. I will update when total comes in.

Robmoo

Dallas. Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/09 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That why placing my order just now was so easy. I was following in your foot steps so she already knew what I was ordering. I can't wait to install the new latches. For under $100 and a couple of hours of my labor they will be well worth the money and effort.

2006 GMC Envoy I6 4x4
1997 Seadoo Speedster twin 85's
2002 Travelstar 23RBS -The year before Starcraft started listing bunk sizes honestly-

soneill5

Swartz Creek, MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/09 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When needing to screw into the bunk end to re-fasten the tent support I found myself screwing into nothing but insulation.

Are these latches indeed that easy to install? Do you need a specific location on the bunk door or trailer?

'11 Keystone Cougar 31SQB
'13 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
Me & Wifey '67
Erin '98, Morgan '99
Pooch Sadie '07, Pooch Abby '13

Robmoo

Dallas. Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/09 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's all these campers are is a big Styrofoam cooler with a bit of fiberglass, thin plywood, and in some places thin aluminum.

tupfam

Colchester, CT

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/09 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

soneill5 wrote:

When needing to screw into the bunk end to re-fasten the tent support I found myself screwing into nothing but insulation.
You can use 'T' nuts on the inside of the bunk ends. They will be flush on the inside. I had to use backing plates on the inside for the latch arms as there was only fiberglass & styrofoam.

Are these latches indeed that easy to install? Do you need a specific location on the bunk door or trailer?
Pretty easy install once you figure out all the hardware you'll need and whether or not you need shims and backing plates. I installed them at the same location as the screw knobs that I removed.

'02 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.4L Triton
'07 Gulfstream Conquest 25RSL

bamaram2002

Central Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/09 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This post might help. There is a link to another thread that shows the inside of the bunk door in an installation using T-nuts. I also spelled out the hardware I bought to install the latches in there.

If you don't have a stud at the edge of your door frame to screw the handle mount into, you'll need to drill through the wall and use a plate or large fender washers on the inside - using bolts instead of screws.

pointbrze

Coltons Point, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/09 05:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also had my latches replaced, thanks to happycampin4 and tupfam! I bought everything and gave it to my RV repair guys. . .they did an awesome job! Just a note: I bought a white 1/4" pvc strip from Lowe's (it was with the household exterior trim pieces) as the backer plate on the inside and also for the shim on the outside. I didn't have to paint mine since it was white already (and the perfect size). I think it was the BEST mod ever! Opening and closing is so much easier now!! I think the pics are in my signature below.

Me- Cindy
Sometimes DD- Stephanie
Sometimes DS- Mark
Definitely Sonny (black toy poodle)

2008 Summerland 2670BH
2007 Tundra V8, 5.7L, P2 brake controller

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Bunk latches
Search:   Advanced Search