RV.Net Open Roads Forum: "The Clan" / Faith Like Potato's / He Sent An Angel ...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> "The Clan" / Faith Like Potato's / He Sent An Angel ...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 96  
Next
Sponsored By:
AZPops

Wherever the Job takes us...

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/09 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before proceeding with this new thread, I would like to make a personal statement;

It saddens me that I have decided against the rescue of a American Staffordshire Terrier or the mix there of. This decision is dictated by my present life style and societies perception of this breed and to breeds like it.

PapPappy stated; “I think you are right to consider what kind of dog you can bring with you in your adventure with Harlee. Trying to fight the system will have you spending more nights in a Wal-Mart parking lot than you might want!”

Paps confirmed what I was thinking in that I cannot compromise nor jeopardize Harlee’s and my ability to find a Park to stay at during our travels. At least not until my life settles, at which time I will not have these many constraints to deal with.

Thanks Paps!

The American Staffordshire Terrier and as many breeds like it are so misunderstood and have been grossly misrepresented by journalist in the media. Which in my opinion added fuel to the discrimination and prejudices to the American Staffordshire Terrier and to the many breeds like it (as someone in another forum described it as a “media driven event”) .

OK, on to new business and this thread;

As y’all may know Harlee and I had an appointment today to visit Calvin and Lou. Both dogs are presently being fostered by Ellen at her Broken Arrow Life Foundation in Lancaster, CA. (about a 2 hour drive from where we are located).

They arrived to Ellen’s Foundation via the National Disaster Search Dog Foundation (NDSDF), Headquartered in Ojai, CA. After my initial visit with both dogs and Harlee’s introduction. Harlee and I determined that Calvin is the one who we are interested in.

Calvin was found as a stray then made his way to the NDSDF from the Corning Shelter in Northern California as a candidate in their training program. However after a month of training, it was determined that his personality conflicted in what is needed to qualify as a NDSDF’s search dog.

I gotta say, Harlee learned well after listening to the tape, “How to Win Friends and Influence People”.

She used her allowance and the farmer next door picked Harlee a special crate of strawberries to insure that it will last till/for our visit today. The strawberries did as the farmer promised and were perfectly ripened for today’s visit with Ellen.

Harlee gets a special treat tonight!…LOL

I guess I can confidently say that we passed the initial step in their adoption process and most importantly, Calvin has met Harlee’s approval.

Next step is to complete the NDSDF’s adoption application, which I will complete this evening and fax it to Karen Klingberg the NDSDF’s Canine Manager in the AM.

Ellen told me after Karen receives my application Karen will schedule an appointment for a formal visit.

Once these two steps are completed, and the NDSDF approves of Harlee and me as proper adopter’s (?). Ellen will prepare Calvin for his new home (Groomed, all boosters done, etc.) and she will bring him to his new home with Harlee and me.

I’ll update the title to this thread, in regards to any updates.

Pops

BTW it’s been a long day and going to be a loooonger night. Judy, I agree that the title to the thread sounds like a Hollywood Movie, but it’ll never gross enough to make it to the screen…LOL

* This post was last edited 07/18/11 11:26pm by AZPops *   View edit history

CA POPPY

Santa Clarita, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/09 10:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, wow! I have watched all day for updates! I am delighted that Calvin passed muster with Harlee and vice-versa, as I have heard through the grapevine that Calvin is a very special dog and much loved by the staff at the foundation. He's a beauty, too. Get some rest and when you have a chance, tell me all about your day and how it went. Good job!
Judy

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/09 12:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was a police officer for 30 years, went on a billion (exageration...slightly!) "vicious dog at large" calls (in cop radio code lingo "905V"). It was almost invaribly a "Pit Bull", which often lumps American Staffordshire Terriers, Bull Terriers, American Bulldog and other breeds into one despised group. Usually it wasn't a Pit...just a mutt!

In hundreds of close encounters with most of these dogs, I survived unscathed and usually made a furry friend. Never bit by any of the above mentioned breeds, either! And BTW the owners often got Citations with actual (to their suprise) court dates listed. And paid $50.00 the first time, and the fine doubled on all subsequent tickets for stray dogs.

I was however severely attacked and bit (Hey..I bled!) by a total of 3 different times by Chihuahua's...little ankle biters! When I started to wear boots...they were no longer my worse fear in life! LOL! And the worse I got when I had to go to the hospital when a Rhodesian Ridgeback ripped my right knee cap open! After biting have the neighbors kids!

I agree Pops, the "Pit Bull Breed" attacks get a lot of press time, and I witnessed more than once the "Eyewitness News" camera crews tease and badger dogs to get them to bare their teeth for the camera, so the "Anchor Man" at the 11:00 news can say..."Up next, we have a close encounter with a vicious pirbull!"

Well, I'm not an authority...BUT I have seen kids and adults ripped to shreds by "Gangsta Pits" used as status symbols by lowlife owners. "Cause when they do bite...they REALLY REALLY BITE!" I used to train US Postal Carriers in Dog Attack classes, since these folks usually get the brunt of serious dog bites, and I always hoped that I helped prevent at least a few bites!

Good for you AZPOPS! Shows you have a really big heart!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/09 05:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If everyone took the time to carefully consider their next dog and then went about searching for one that was a good fit..... well..... there would be a LOT less dogs looking for another home. Well done Lance & Harlee, I hope this is your happy ending!

Cat
(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

AZPops

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/09 03:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slate,

In the response to my opening statement in this thread. I personally think it’s enlightening to read a response from someone who was in the field.

It’s my opinion that this is important information that we are not made aware of, or as we learned, is hidden/kept from the general public. This is a perfect example that there is always two sides to every story.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Pops

Terri travel

North Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/09 03:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pops, you never know, maybe Hollywood's ready for a boy in rv meets dog story..LOL..He's a fine looking dog!

2006 Jayco Jayfeather 29BHS

Mike & Terri (working hard to play)

Melissa & Ty (23yr old daughter,13yr old son) Just along for the ride

Cujo & Sophie {1 bad Chihuahua & Diva French Bulldog}

sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/09 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am pleased to see rescue groups and shelters carefully screening new owners of some breeds. My feeling is, it is not the breed that is the problem but the owners. By carefully selecting owners then perhaps the breeds can regain some regard within society.

We have two mixed breeds and I don't see pitbull in either one of them. But without fail, people meeting them who are unfamiliar with dogs will comment that they have pit in them. When people say that, I usually respond that must be where they get their soft side from.

The new puppy is rotti/shepard mix. Maybe a shepard/rotti mix. Doesn't matter, really. She's a lovebug. I had to refrain from laughing when a colleague indicated her face was all pit.

Older guy is lots of things, but mostly slobbery. At 100 lbs, he's got something big in him. Maybe Mastiff. I see purebred Ridgebacks, and see his face in them. Then I see a lab, and see him in them. Then a family member didn't want to trust him because they saw pit in him. Then someone said his tail is all chow. Tail? Okay ...

We've never been asked by a campground what breed our dogs are. We have stayed in luxury resorts with the big guy, and they've never asked what kind of dog will be in the room, but I do confirm that they're comfy with a BIG dog in the room. They're usually more concerned that our dogs are well-behaved and that we pick up after them, rather than what breed they are.

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

AZPops

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/09 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Cat, I must say if all goes well. I may have a bit of Sadomasochistic tendencies in that I’ll now have “TWO”, did I say “TWO” Labs in the rig.

It could be my calling, to invent a new cloth woven from the fur of these kids. Maybe a better, stronger, longer lasting “Bullet Proof Vest“! Who knows…..LOL

When we got back to the rig, Harlee asked me, “are you sure you want to go through this?”. I told her “sure, are you?” and she just shroud her shoulders at me…..However, I did tell her “No More Excuses, your Going to Learn how to vacuum. That’s for sure!”.

Till then it’s sit and wait time again….

Pops

AZPops

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/09 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terri travel wrote:

Pops, you never know, maybe Hollywood's ready for a boy in rv meets dog story..LOL..He's a fine looking dog!

Thanks, it’s too bad Cesar wouldn't do a segment about this. If at the least to give a plug in for the great work that the NDSDF is doing for this Country.

They'll have to get a stand in for me though, since I’m sure they don’t want to break any cameras…LOL

Pops

* This post was edited 07/01/09 08:36am by AZPops *

AZPops

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/09 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sue.t wrote:

I We have stayed in luxury resorts with the big guy, and they've never asked what kind of dog will be in the room, but I do confirm that they're comfy with a BIG dog in the room. They're usually more concerned that our dogs are well-behaved and that we pick up after them, rather than what breed they are.

I have to give a plug in to Motel 6, although they're far from being considered a luxury hotel (although their chain of Motel 6 Suites are quite nice).

They have never turned Baby and I away and as you stated, all they ask is that you pick up after your dog.

So if your traveling and need a night of rest or for a couple of days it’s a great place. Other then that it can get quite expensive.

They'll even keep the lights on for you. Oh, sorry that's the other guys...LOL

Pops, signing off for the day!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 96  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> "The Clan" / Faith Like Potato's / He Sent An Angel ...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS