Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Power Converter Advice

Posted By: officergator on 09/10/09 04:50am

I currently have a Magnetek 6300 series converter. Specifically a model 6332 32amp converter. I see the upgrade kits for the 6300 and 7300 series at bestconverter.com. They come in a 45 or 55 amp package.

Question #1. WIll the 45 amp work with replacing a 32 amp converter. Should it matter?

Question #2. Is there something better, within reason in regards to price?

I hooked up my new battery backwards, basically because I was having a senior moment, and now I have a few issues with the converter, so a change is gonna be necessary.

Any advice, which I know I am gonna get quite a bit on this board, will be greatly appreciated.

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 ThunderRoad
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 24D
1 Beautiful Wife
3 Howling Beagles

Posted By: Clattertruck on 09/10/09 05:45am

Get rid of the Magnejunk converter. The 7300 is not a multi-stage charger.
A couple of ones that are considered good are the Xantrex and Progressive Dynamics.
Look at Best Converter:
http://www.bestconverter.com/

Clattertruck
2008 SD F450 Pickup PSD 6.4L CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat Auto trans 4.30 LS, 2013 Lance TT 1885, Toyota 2014 Tundra Crew Max 5.7.

Posted By: Bill, KE7FSV on 09/10/09 05:53am

Several years ago I replaced the junk Magnetek converter on my truck camper with a Progressive Dynamics converter with he . Best mod I think I could have made to the rig.
Simple installation.
Bill

2007 Tango 2660RKS FW, 2006 Chevy 3500 D/A with service body.

Posted By: skipnchar on 09/10/09 07:24am

If you're not happy with the way your 32 amp performed by all means go with a stronger one. If it's never caused any problems, why switch though? Just ask yourself "what problem am I trying to solve?" and base your decision on the answer.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: smkettner on 09/10/09 08:50am

You are just looking at the bestconverter kit on-line? I think Randy just shows the WFCO 45 & 55 as you say. Actually I would recomend the 35 amp, call them for this option. With one or two batteries I think it will actually perform better.

You can use about any converter with the conversion kit. I also recommend the Xantrex XADC-40 although is is a bit more money. I believe you would need the 60 amp Progressive Dynamics converter as it is a bit smaller than the 45 to fit in the space available.

The real limit will be the wire size that connects the battery. Unlike the 6332 the new conversion will be capable of sending full capacity to the battery. If you can pull new wire easily then you can have about any size you like.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Posted By: Hurricaner on 09/10/09 08:55am

Quote:

hooked up my new battery backwards, basically because I was having a senior moment, and now I have a few issues with the converter, so a change is gonna be necessary.
What issues do you have?

Sam

Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2004 34' Damon Challenger 315

Posted By: pianotuna on 09/11/09 11:47am

Hi wa8ysm,

In my case that would mean a converter that is capable of 243 amps. (30% of 810 amp/hours). Or am I not following your calculations correctly?

wa8yxm wrote:

As to what size converter to buy.. This is based on our batteries

A Grp 24 is what, around 75-80 Amp hours, Grp 27/29 are just under/over 100 amp hours. 31 around 110, and golf car pairs are 220, give or take a bit in all cases.

Add up your batteries (Remember golf car batteries you use pairs, and the figure is for the pair) and multiply by 0.3 (30%) and that's the size you need.

I would move away from Magneteck/parallex to Progressive Dynamics or Xantrex myself.

Oh, and I finally got to lay eyes on a Magnetek 6300 the other day

Which reminds me.. I want to download it's manual

Oh, if you upgrade more than around double the charge amprage you MAY need to upgrade the wire too. not just the converter.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

Posted By: smkettner on 09/11/09 12:17pm

I doubt 30% will go in the battery for very long. I would be surprized if it went more than 30 minutes unless discharged well below 50%. I would be interested if anyone has actually stood there and watched the ammeter.

Posted By: wa8yxm on 09/10/09 12:26pm

I would recommend you visit http://www.bestconverter.com

Scroll down till you see the "Extra Info" frame... There are stories about upgrades there as well as instructions for doing it

He sells kits that allow you to completly remove the converter section on those old converters and replace with a Progressive Dynamics or Xantrex or other make 3-stage converter

The cost of doing this.. can actually be NEGATIVE as your batteries will last longer and the savings there will offset/exceed the cost of the upgrade.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Posted By: wa8yxm on 09/11/09 11:36am

As to what size converter to buy.. This is based on our batteries

A Grp 24 is what, around 75-80 Amp hours, Grp 27/29 are just under/over 100 amp hours. 31 around 110, and golf car pairs are 220, give or take a bit in all cases.

Add up your batteries (Remember golf car batteries you use pairs, and the figure is for the pair) and multiply by 0.3 (30%) and that's the size you need.

I would move away from Magneteck/parallex to Progressive Dynamics or Xantrex myself.

Oh, and I finally got to lay eyes on a Magnetek 6300 the other day

Which reminds me.. I want to download it's manual

Oh, if you upgrade more than around double the charge amprage you MAY need to upgrade the wire too. not just the converter.

Posted By: No Hurry-No Worry on 09/11/09 12:38pm

Is it possible you just blew a fuse? You may not have fried the converter/charger.

2001 Monaco Executive
500 Hp w/tag axle
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Me,DW and Panther, the coolest cat in the world

Posted By: 09FLSTC on 09/10/09 08:02pm

Call those guys at bestconverter.com They will fix you up and not brake your bank and you get real people.

Posted By: officergator on 09/14/09 05:48pm

All the fuses are fine. After everything I have read, I am going to be upgrading it anyway, along with the bus panel for the 12 volt fuses. This way I have filtered power throughout.

Posted By: officergator on 09/10/09 05:26pm

The issues I am having is no charge to the battery when plugged in. The other issue might not be a converter issue. My diagnostic panel, holding tank capacity and battery charge level indicators do not work unless the battery is charged. It was working when plugged in with no battery before I hooked it up backwards! I am assuming with the battery going dead when plugged into shore power that the converter is shot. With all the negative I am reading about this thing, I was just going to replace it, replace wiring and just overhaul the whole thing. I know I need a new converter and I am going to replace the wire. I just wanted buy the right items before I start the mod. I am sure if I find something else wrong while poking around with my multimeter I will be fixing it too. Basically I gotta start somewhere.

Posted By: engr4fun on 09/15/09 11:07pm

I replaced the 6300 Magnejunk on my 1988 Winnebago. I used the 7345 upgrade kit at the time ( 4 years ago) better kit now. Get it with the charge wizard and it is a 4 stage charger. After swap, no more problems, no more cooked batteries. Good value. I replaced my Dad's converter this year. best converter is the best.

Weldon Crew
John,Myra,Evan,Eric+2dogs
2005 Fleetwood Flair 34F 3 Slides W22&8.1L
Weekends+Any Chance We Get

Print  |  Close