RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Installing outdoor speakers?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Installing outdoor speakers?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
redwake

Visalia, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/09 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when/if i do outside sound it will be a single outdoor speaker running mono by my door.

i would get a low profile but not flush mount so the hole would only need to be large enough to run the wire.

nothing that goes bump bump bump... and i listen to country so Dynasty40 would be happy.

TT: 08 Monterey 27 PT by Extreme RV
TV: 05 Eddie Bauer Expedition w/5.4L 3.31 Gears
Hitched with a Husky WD & SC.
Powered by Champion 3500

LAdams

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/09 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP asked a valid question... Only valid answers will remain...

Moderator - TT Forum

afraid of bears

Prince George Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/09 10:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I simply wired a set of waterproof box speakers into the output from the stereo, added enough wire to reach out the door and called it done. When not in use I just wrapped the wires around the speakers and tossed 'em in behind the stereo. As for the quality of the player, just pop into any car stereo shop and choose what sounds best for yor price range. They are all quite easy to install.

anibas624

Palmerton,Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/09 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have two entry doors to my Jayco travel trailer. I mounted a weather resistant speaker in the opening of each step. While I was there, I mounted amber lights which go on when I turn on my patio lights. This makes the black steps more visable at night because the light shines right down on the steps. Email me for a picture of the speakers and lights.
Mike

2004 Dodge Durango w/Hemi
2007 Jayco Jay Feather R30
Valley WDH and SC

mikejnang

Central CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/09 09:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Added a pair of marine 6 1/2 inch speakers to the outside of our trailer near the top. Had to cut the holes through the fiberglass and foam with a rotozip. There is a cabinet on the inside so I built wood covers to hide the back of the speakers. Overall it came out good but once you cut holes, there is no going back. Plus, if we ever get a hole in the speaker, that hole leads right into the TT. If I was going to do it again, I would build a small portable box that could stay in the cargo compartment to avoid the possible water leaks with a permanent install. They sound great but we now seem to use the portable IPOD dock with speakers, which keeps us from going in and out of the TT to adjust the volume on the built in setup.

MI.-mansion

Downriver, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/09 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also wanted to install speakers outside, but as I was trying to figure out how I would go about it, I thought "how do I control the volume or change stations while outside?" It would be a pain for me to keep running in and out each time. Instead, I went to a garage sale and picked up a radio/boom box for $6 that I plan on putting on a table near the outside elecrical outlet. Much cheaper and accessible!

BillB800si

S.E. MICHIGAN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/18/09 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This subject comes up from time to time.

My advice is install a weather-proof head phone connector on the outside of your trailer. Then you can listen to whatever you like at whatever volume you like.

I can tell you from years of camping experience other campers DO NOT appreciate campers having external speakers. Especially when everyone has a different station on.

Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab CTD
2014 Keystone Cougar High Country 321RES trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Installing outdoor speakers?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts