Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: 1987 or 1990 Pace Arrow

Posted By: Zman300 on 07/25/03 02:39pm

Going to look at a 1990 Pace Arrow tomorrow.
It's 30ft. 454 chevy 71,000 miles.
So far have only seen pictures but it looks very
nice.
Can anyone tell me the good or bad about this MH.
Thanks

* This post was edited 07/26/03 07:07pm by Zman300 *

1994 Georgie Boy Swinger 30ft.
Ford 460

Posted By: Fab on 07/25/03 05:19pm

I think that 1990 was in the years that Fleetwood had delamination problems. This is when the side walls start to pull away from the body causing a bulge in the outside walls. Very few of these delamination problems can be properly repaired without replacing the entire wall system, a very expensive or time consuming option.

What happens is that moisture soaks the luanne board that the smooth outer panels are glued to, the wood rots and comes apart. The outer panel is now glued to 1/2 of the wooden inner panel and bulges outward.

Water is any rv's worst enemy,

Posted By: Jerry B on 07/25/03 07:48pm

We had a 1990 34 Pace arrow and it was absolutely great. Well made in and out. Very little trouble in 82,000 miles, and, it had no delam and a shiny exterior. The delam was caused primarily by roof leaks at the seal around the fiberglass roof top.(poor maintenance?) There are many many Pace Arrows out there of that vintage, plus or minus a few years. Yes, some had delam, but Winnies and other brands did/do also. I now have a National Dolphin and,in some regards, I wish I had the old Pace Arrow back. It did have a bit of road wander though. A little tiring to drive long distances. The 1990 has TBI and gave about 8.4 mpg towing.
I know the 1990 Pace Arrow very well. If I can help with anything, email me. Cheers.
Jerry

* This post was edited 07/25/03 07:56pm by Jerry B *

Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

Posted By: Clubmaxx on 07/26/03 06:46am

Fab is right but there are a lot of things that can be done to stop it from happening in key areas. Since I posted pictures of our rebuild project I have had many replies from people having problems with even almost new coaches. In most cases, manufacturers of coaches have not changed the way they assemble in years. Some have even gotten worse. The main problem areas for delamination are the rear of windows and door frames. When I rebuilt our coach we discovered leaks and damage that would never have been found without totally removing the skin as I did. One leak started as floor damage in the back of the bedroom. Previous owner had everything in the back end resealed. Windows, cap, roof even the ladder screws. When the skin was removed we just followed the rust trail on the frame to the side door. That is almost 20-feet away!

If you have no signs of delam yet you can prevent it from happening by removing your doors and windows (easy job really) and using tarp tape to seal the laminate layers in all the openings. This prevents any water from getting between the layers and starting the delam process. Let me know if you want to see how to do it.

Good luck!

Scott

'84 Titan 36' 454, Thorleys, Monroes, Bilstein Steering stabilizer, and 16-months of rebuilding inside and out. Check out the whole rebuild project HERE.

Posted By: Zman300 on 07/26/03 06:43pm

Went and checked out the MH today.
There was another couple looking at it when we arrived so we all went for a drive. It ran and rode fine. It did have delamination on both sides. I asked the salesman about it he said yes they did have a problem late 80's early 90's. He didn't think it was too bad, other than looks shouldn't be a problem.??? True or false?
They also have a 1987 Pace Arrow 29 ft. same floor plan and the sides look much flatter. It has the Ford 460, about the same miles 2200 more than the 90. And the price is about $5000.00 less than the 90.
The 90 has an arched roof the 87 a flat roof, either one better than the other. I drove the 87, actually the first time I've driven a MH.
It did wander on the highway, how much is normal.
If I ever decide to get one I'm leaning more toward the 87.
You can see I'm new to this get this one, get that one, don't get one,
then my wife says why don't we get a fifth-wheel. Too many decisions.
What do you all think?
Thanks

Posted By: Fab on 07/26/03 11:28pm

Zman300,

Don't be in too much of a hurry!!!

"Went and checked out the MH today It ran and rode fine"
(Bob) This is good!

"It did have delamination on both sides"
(Bob) This is bad!!!

"I asked the salesman about it he said yes they did have a problem late 80's early 90's. He didn't think it was too bad, other than looks shouldn't be a problem.??? True or false?"
(Bob) False!!! This is part of the structure of the entire coach that holds everything together, the "WALLS ARE" part of the structure!!! What does he know, (the salesman) he wants to make a sale!

"They also have a 1987 Pace Arrow 29 ft. same floor plan and the sides look much flatter"
(Bob) How much flatter? They should be flat!

"It has the Ford 460"
(Bob) Fords are good too.

"$5000.00 less than the 90"
(Bob) Room to work with or repair with?

"The 90 has an arched roof the 87 a flat roof", either one better than the other.
(Bob) My 84 Pace has a flat roof, I had a leak 3 years ago, no problems before or after it. Arched roofs will shed water/snow quicker. But I park my flat roofed rv on a slope.

"I drove the 87, actually the first time I've driven a MH"
(Bob) This line tipped me off

"It did wander on the highway, how much is normal"
(Bob) How windy was it? Did you drive the 90 to compare?

"If I ever decide to get one I'm leaning more toward the 87.
You can see I'm new to this get this one, get that one, don't get one, then my wife says why don't we get a fifth-wheel. Too many decisions. What do you all think? Thanks"

(Bob) TAKE YOUR TIME!!! You are in Oskosh Wisconson? Check out (LOOK AT) and talk to the RV owners at the fly-in this week.

Posted By: GRice on 07/27/03 12:49pm

Not sure what the price was that you were looking at, I can say for sure that the Ford will wander some, its the chassis with the narrow front end, nothing to be concerned about though. I had a 97 Ford and now have a 2003 Ford...big big difference in handling with the new one having a wider front end. As for the season ending? Not so...be brave camp year round if you can, I live in Chicago area and have camped in cold freezing weather...was ok and coach did fine. As for Osh, I wish I had a front porch to sit on, I will be camping in Fond Du Lac and drive my toad back and forth to the show. Good luck on you hunt.

Gary & Susan R
2005 Alfa See-Ya Founder
2005 Chevy Avalanche

Posted By: Zman300 on 07/27/03 08:00am

Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

The sides on the 87 appeared very straight with the exception of a
couple small spots each side. Nothing compared to the 90, that was the first thing I noticed when I first looked at the 90. Any delamination no matter how small should be fixed?
Also the 90 had much caulk around the roof, not a very neat job of caulking. The roof on the 87 looked in good shape.
I would also be parking on a slope.

Guess I'm partial to Fords, they've been good to me in my cars and trucks over the years.

I asked about how much is wander is normal because Jerry B stated that his Pace wandered a bit. I didn't drive the 90 just rode along, when I drove the 87 it was not windy.

I'm trying not too rush it but before you know it the season will have come and gone. Have been looking since Jan. the few I thought would be worth looking at were gone by the time I called.
Was hoping to go on one or two short trips this season. One being in three weeks. Maybe should play it safe borrow a pop-up for that one.

Yes the air show starts tuesday. My parents have a house right next to the airport, best seat in the house to watch the show and no crowds
or traffic to fight.

Thanks for all the input, any additional would be appreciated.

Posted By: buggygrama on 08/16/03 02:55pm

Hi Jerry,

I saw your response to Zman300 on the 1990 Pace Arrow, I purchased one 9 months ago and I just love it, it only had 25,000 miles on it and is in tip top condition, my question to you is do you know of any way to be able to run both ait conditioners at the same time, the first time we took it out in the summer I just assumed that when we were plugged into a campsite that I would be able to run them both, but to my surprise if couldn't. So it was either cool the front or the back of MH it is also a 34 foot.
Any help that you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Lydia P (buggygrama)

Lydia P.

Posted By: 96Bounder30E on 08/16/03 03:11pm

I looked at a 1990 Pace Arrow once.......It had Delam all ove the place.....the Seller tried to minimise by telling me it could be "re-glued" for about $400.00 but I new different......I stopped by a RV repair shop and talked with them about it......they told me between $8,000.00 and $10,000 for both sides.........When I bought this up to the seller........his response was.....well, you seemed to like the rest of the Coach.....does it really bother you that bad???

Be careful looking at a Fleetwood between 1989 and 1992.......1993/1994 the problem was solved........Good Luck!!!

Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Posted By: master52 on 08/16/03 03:30pm

I have a 34' 1986 pace arrow 454 63K and it had delamination but I knew it and knew I could fix it. I told the owner it was in very bad condition and he agreed and at the same time took another $4000 off the price and I purchased it. 4 wks of work using my system and it looks great. I will be selling my system in the future but back the MH your looking at. Be carefull to make sure your next rig has at least a 51% wheel base to length ration for a good solid ride. If it is less, you will be a white knuckled driver more times than not and riders will get a bouncy bumpy ride also.
I would get a 454 over a 460 any day of the wk however. Had one of those engines in a pickup once and it was gutless with my fifth wheel even after headers and other work. My 454 has 63K, none oil burner and not a drop of leaks. Banks Power pack and tons of power.Good luck and it is fun looking isn't it?

Posted By: Jerry B on 08/16/03 08:37pm

Lydia,
My current motorhome is a Dolphin with an Energy Management System(EMS)" that allows the operation of both airs on 30 amps. There are several ways to modify the Pace Arrow to run both airs simultaneously. One way, I guess, would be to rewire the rear air to run off a pig tailed 50 amp plug. I do believe there is a unit that can be installed like an EMS to operate the airs. Might call Camping World and check with them(18006265944) I'll let someone else address that. Dick A etal, got any ideas?
PS don't let the Pace Arrow naysayers scare you off with delam talk. There are a lot of well maintained vintage Pace Arrows out there that that don't have delam just like any other manufacturer.

Posted By: Capt. Jack on 08/16/03 08:59pm

I have a 90 Pace Arrow 32' 454 Chev P30, and there is nothing wrong with it. Have spent many hours resealing the roof and now is in good condition. I put a Banks System on last year and rebuilt the Front end this year, cooling system next. The best thing I can think of is NO payments. It helps if your handy with repair projects. Like someone said if you have an Rv you don't need a hobby.

Cheers
Jack

Jack Foster
Country Coach Allure 40'
Dynomax Chassis Cummins 8.3, 325hp New Custom Paint
2003 Subaru Forester & 2007 Saturn Vue V6 AWD Toads

Posted By: jbbrick on 08/16/03 09:16pm

I have a 91 PA with no delam problems, but it's always been covered and not out in the rain much. I think if the roof seams are right, you won't have any problems. It's a quality MH, well built and really nicely finished inside. Our Ford has 50k on it, just put in a Banks system and it runs great.

'02 Winnie Adventurer 32V
2010 Ford Escape toad

Posted By: rjatlanta on 08/29/03 05:00pm

master 52,
What is your "system? I am looking at a low milage 190 Pace aroow thta had some "issue" with a leak on the left rear divers side.I don't mind a repair job if it is within my scope of knowhow. Any advice would be appreciated.

rjatlanta

Posted By: Kevin 2 on 08/29/03 06:56pm

Quote:

If you have no signs of delam yet you can prevent it from happening by removing your doors and windows (easy job really) and using tarp tape to seal the laminate layers in all the openings. This prevents any water from getting between the layers and starting the delam process. Let me know if you want to see how to do it.

Good luck!

Scott

Hi Scott,

Where do you get "tarp tape" and what is it please?

Thanks,
Kevin

Print  |  Close