Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Jayco Truck Camper

Posted By: angler on 09/29/09 09:26am

Does anyone have info about older Jayco truck campers. Looking at a 1996 and trying to figure out weights and whether they are quality made like their other products.

* This post was edited 09/29/09 09:57am by angler *

2013 Honda Pilot
Prodigy
2010 Springdale 296BHSSR (Seasonal Site)

Posted By: SooperDaddy on 09/29/09 12:43pm

Get your VIN number and call Jayco, (574) 825-5861 and they will have the info on it that you are looking for, maybe even a spare owners manual! Jayco has owned StarCraft as one of their Subsidiaries for many years, and Jayco made their own Campers until they took over StarCraft RV.

But sadly it looks like 2009 will be the last year for StarCraft/Jayco Truck Campers, as the 2010 StarCraft brochures don't show Truck Campers anymore either. That makes your Jayco Camper an instant classic!

Last year for StarCraft 2009 Camper Brochure

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Posted By: jlfiber on 09/29/09 01:14pm

We owned a 1995 Jayco Sportster 9.5 (pop-up TC) for about 8 years and it served us well. Took it to the Arctic Ocean and back! The quality and features surpass many of today's campers and I have no idea why Jayco quit building them. I believe that Jayco ceased production of the TC in the USA after the 1996 model year but, I think they may still produce them in Australia. Jayco truck campers have the same faults as any camper like water intrusion, etc. and need need to be maintained. As long as the pervious owner(s) kept her caulked and the lift mechanism serviced, it's should be a good camper. With grandkids we felt we needed more space and that's why we went to a hardside TC. I miss the openness of the pop-up and the fuel mileage savings and vehicle handling of course. It road great in our F-250's - you hardly knew it was there. There was another Forum member from KC, if I remember right, that restored a Sportster a few years ago. If he's still on maybe he still has some info and will respond. I'll look around but, I'm sure we sent all the original paperwork with the new owner.

2011 F-350 CC SRW LB 4x4 V-8, 2008 Northstar Igloo 9.5

Posted By: jlfiber on 09/29/09 03:48pm

Company History:
Jayco, Inc. is a leading manufacturer of recreation vehicles (RVs), including travel trailers, truck campers, and motorhomes, and is the second largest producer of towable RVs in the world. The company also performs van conversions and is active in Australia through an affiliated company, Jayco Caravan Manufacturing, Inc.

Posted By: RobertRyan on 09/29/09 07:03pm

Quote:

The company also performs van conversions and is active in Australia through an affiliated company, Jayco Caravan Manufacturing, Inc.

It is NOT the same Company. Different founders, but the same religious affiliation.It is a sister Company, but not part of Jayco US, has no financial or other ties, but they share ideas, but have very different models.Try looking at Winnebago Australia and you will be even more confused.
Winnebago Australia
Jayco Australia read History section
Quote:

In the winter of 1975, Jayco developed its first camper trailers and production commenced in January 1976. The company was founded by Gerry Ryan, OAM, who remains at the helm as its Managing Director.

Jayco quickly established a reputation for producing high quality, competitively priced caravan and camping products, and within a few short years it had become a leading player in the Australian recreational vehicle (RV) industry.

Unlike many of its competitors, Jayco survived the economic and industry downturn of the late 1980s and early 1990s through sound business management and a timely expansion of its innovative product range and its nation-wide dealer network.

Jayco prides itself on being a “family company”. The Jayco family includes management, staff, dealers, customers and owners of Jayco product.

* This post was last edited 09/29/09 07:37pm by RobertRyan *

Posted By: RobertRyan on 09/29/09 03:29pm

Quote:

I believe that Jayco ceased production of the TC in the USA after the 1996 model year but, I think they may still produce them in Australia. Jayco truck campers have the same faults as any camper like water intrusion, etc. and need need to be maintained

Jayco Australia has nothing to do with Jayco US. Jayco Australia has NEVER produced a TC.

Posted By: angler on 09/30/09 11:27am

I'm looking at the sportster 7' popup type. Wish I could find somewhere to find weights. I know I'll probably be over my 1375, just don't know how much over. Already replaced tires with a higher load rating.

Posted By: jlfiber on 10/05/09 11:06am

Jayco Australia has nothing to do with Jayco US. Jayco Australia has NEVER produced a TC.

Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2009 7:13 PM
Subject: RE: Pop-up Pickup Campers

If you are talking about Slide On Camper trailers, we manufactured them for about 4 years early this decade.

Scott Jones
Touring Sales Manager

P. +613 8792 2002
F. +613 8792 2192
1 Jayco Drive
Dandenong South.Victoria.3175
PO.Box 636
Dandenong.Victoria.3175
www.jayco.com.au

--------------------------------------------------------------------

NEVER ?

Posted By: SooperDaddy on 10/04/09 12:56pm

Australian Jayco Sportster Truck Campers are called "Slide-on" campers and usually go on flat bed trucks, that can be used for work trucks during the "non-holiday" times! But they also sell a "pick-up truck" version. The "flat tray" slide-on's have a lot more storage and room. Jayco was the first large RV manufacturer in Australia to build a TC 10 years ago...and there are literally hundreds and maybe thousands of RV manufacturers building RV's from backyards and garages in the Australia!

More on Sportster

Posted By: NRALIFR on 09/29/09 08:12pm

Back to the question at hand............

I had a 1993 Jayco 950 Jayhawk for about ten years, and thought it was a really nice camper. It was well made, and I didn't have any issues with it at all. It was a less expensive camper than the same size Lance, but I thought you got a lot for your money. Jayco also had aluminum framework long before Lance and a lot of other TC's did. The sides, roof, cabover, and rear were all framed with welded square aluminum tubing.

I found the wet weight listed on the tag to be pretty accurate, a little under 3000 lbs. It weighed pretty close to 4000 by the time we were loaded up for a two week trip.

So to answer your question, yes I believe they were quality made like their other products. When I decided I wanted a new TC, the first brand I wanted to look at was another Jayco. I was disappointed when I learned they no longer made them.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2010 F450

Posted By: w2bpi1 on 10/04/09 08:00pm

We had a Jayco Hunter 1993. It was a nice truck camper. No problems. Only dislike was the manual jacks. OK for younger guys.

2001 Chevrolet 3500 White Extended cab.
2002 Lance 915
Ham operator W2BPI

Posted By: RobertRyan on 10/04/09 03:00pm

Quote:

Jayco was the first large RV manufacturer in Australia to build a TC 10 years ago.
No. It was not. That is why I was scratching my head about a TC built by Jayco.
Freeway(Now Winnebago in Australia) was one of the first to build a TC in Australia.
Quote:

Company Information
Winnebago Industries is the largest Motorhome Manufacturer in Australia.

The roots of Winnebago Industries go back to 1965, with the formation of Freeway. Bruce Binns, with the assistance of his wife Ruth, introduced the first Freeway slide on camper to Australia. They progressed with the Freeway name producing motorhomes, caravans and tent trailers.

Quote:

Date June 2001 Just 10 months after Jayco launched its Sportster slide-on camper for utes at Sandown Motor Raceway, with Ford Tickford Racing’s Glenn Seton at the wheel, it has begun a major production run of a flat-tray version.

The Sportsters are the first mainstream manufactured slide-on campers to be built in almost two decades, though occasionally specialty built campers were manufactured from time-to-time.

Quote:

.and there are literally hundreds and maybe thousands of RV manufacturers building RV's from backyards and garages in the Australia!

Correct , Hundreds actually and someone new seems to pop up at every Caravan and Motorhome expo.
Quote:

Hass's design breakthrough was a split-level layout with the kitchen and bathroom on the "ground floor" and the living and sleeping quarters "upstairs" above the boat garage -- with a tilt pop-top providing ample headroom.

The boat, on it's trailer, loads into the van via an integrated drop-down ramp at the rear. An electric winch pulls in the boat/trailer combination and hatches in the van's side give access to secure tie-down points.

The Boatavan has an overall length of 6.8 metres, a width of 2.4 metres and a combined tow weight of 2800kg -- within the capabilities of many mid-sized four-wheel drive vehicles.

* This post was last edited 10/04/09 04:06pm by RobertRyan *

Posted By: RobertRyan on 10/05/09 05:03pm

Quote:

If you are talking about Slide On Camper trailers, we manufactured them for about 4 years early this decade.

They are not well known even here. There have been quite a few manufacturers of them here over the years(they are slowly coming back), but I was not aware of Jayco making them. It would appear they were made from 2001-2005, but unlike their popup Caravans not all that successful.

* This post was edited 10/05/09 05:11pm by RobertRyan *

Posted By: RobertRyan on 10/05/09 05:08pm

On the other hand these are:
http://www.jayco.com.au/_galleries/pops/01.jpg

Posted By: angler on 10/05/09 08:43pm

Very cool units

Posted By: jlfiber on 10/06/09 11:23am

The DW and our Sportster on the trip to the Arctic Ocean.

The weight of 9.5 Sportster 'wet' and loaded road well on the 2003 F-250 but, when we pulled our Alumicraft Trophy 180 it would squat the rearend a bit - not on the overloads though. I don't know how the 7' would ride in a 1/2 ton.

* This post was edited 10/06/09 11:35am by jlfiber *

Posted By: jlfiber on 10/06/09 11:40am

1994 Jayco Sportster Pop up camper. Great condition light weight 1460lbs. 8 feet long. everything working, sleeps four. Call Mike 604.835.0990

--------------------------------------------------------------------Craig's List add for an 8' Sportster. He claims it weights in at 1460 lbs.

Posted By: jlfiber on 10/06/09 11:45am

( http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/rvs/1364785506.html )

Here's the link for the 8' Sportster

Posted By: jlfiber on 10/06/09 11:54am

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just 10 months after Jayco launched its Sportster slide-on camper for utes at Sandown Motor Raceway, with Ford Tickford Racing’s Glenn Seton at the wheel, it has begun a major production run of a flat-tray version.
The Sportsters are the first mainstream manufactured slide-on campers to be built in almost two decades, though occasionally specialty built campers were manufactured from time-to-time.
The slide-on camper can be lived in on the back of the ute, such as for overnight stays, or free standing for longer stays.
The two Sportster designs mean they can fit on Ford Falcon AU and Holden Commodore VS, Toyota Hilux, Ford Courier, Holden Rodeo and Nissan Navara (including dual cab models) utes and flat-trays and some 4WD vehicles.
Jayco, as Australia’s number one caravan manufacturer, has used its 25 years experience and construction know-how to produce both Sportster models.
Both models weight around 500kg and feature a sandwich panel domed roof that is easily raised and lowered using a unique rack and pinion winding system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This advertisement for an Aussie version says it weights about 1100 lbs. They don't say what the length is though.

Posted By: NRALIFR on 10/05/09 05:43pm

C'mon guys, this is clearly a hijack.

The subject is certainly worthy of it's own topic, however.

Posted By: RobertRyan on 10/05/09 06:11pm

Quote:

C'mon guys, this is clearly a hijack.

The subject is certainly worthy of it's own topic, however.

Good Idea . I will start a post on TC's in Australia

Posted By: RobertRyan on 10/05/09 05:25pm

Some current local manufactures of slide on or glideons as they are known here. Some TC's are tent trays as well.

http://www.cmca.net.au/pages/marketplace/marketplace/SlideOn.php

Davisher

Millard Slideon

Supreme Sunray Slideon

Ozscape

Escape RV

Print  |  Close