Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Can you tow a minivan?

Posted By: Kentucky Max on 11/14/09 08:01pm

I have looked over the Motorhome magazine dingy towing guide, but there is no mention of minivans good, bad or otherwise. Are there any towable minivans with 4 down? What about the Dodge Caravan or the Chrysler Town&Country? How about full size passenger vans? Thanks


Posted By: hudsonnut on 11/14/09 08:07pm

Have an '05 Dodge Grand Caravan with a Remco Lubepump and have towed about 10000 miles with it. Check the power cord frequently to be sure connections are tight.

Chuck


Chuck, Sandy and Spike (the BOSS Yorkie)
1999 Pace Arrow Vision 36B
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

Rallys attended 6



Posted By: Joy on 11/14/09 08:09pm

We have friends who tow a Dodge caravan, Can't tell you the year, tho.


See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.



Posted By: Dick A on 11/14/09 08:12pm

Moved from General RV'ing.


2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WAYMXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty


Posted By: Golden_HVAC on 11/14/09 08:18pm

Hi,

The motorhome magazine article states the list is of vehicles that do not require extensive modifications to tow them. So they are only listing a car or truck that can be towed by adding a hitch to the front end.

The Ford Taurus X can be towed 4 wheels down, and seats 7. 3.5L V6 and automatic with front wheel drive or all wheel drive. It is nearly the size of a minivan.

Early versions of the Honda minivan could be towed 4 wheels down, but around 2002 Honda began to state they would not allow towing 4 wheels down anymore. Something must have changed in their design.

You can tow many things with a driveshaft disconnect or a lubrication pump. Contact Remco for pricing and a list of the vehicles that they support.

You also need to find something that has a tow bracket built for it, or get a custom one made. The custom one might be expensive.

Good Luck,

Fred.


Posted By: Deen on 11/14/09 09:01pm

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Early versions of the Honda minivan could be towed 4 wheels down, but around 2002 Honda began to state they would not allow towing 4 wheels down anymore. Something must have changed in their design.
Well, not quite right, it was beginning wit the first Ody's out the door in the 2005 model year. The 2004 and older were considered towable four down.
Remco doesn't make anything for Honda's and I consider there products less than reliable as well as the "warranty" Had three friends with Remco products, all three (two driveshaft disconnects and a pump) had failures resulting in new/rebuilt trans. Remco's response was to deny coverage on the pump (let alone the ruined trans) even though it was in warranty.


Posted By: Pirate on 11/22/09 04:54pm

Yes, you tow a minivan, with modifications. I'm on my second Chrysler product with no problems, over 10K miles. Both used the lube pump. Installation is ABSOLUTELY key to having no problems. It is easy to screw it up but once it is done correctly, you have nothing else to do.


Posted By: Foggy on 11/23/09 08:50pm

I use a dolly with a Chrysler Town&Country. No modification needed and I can use the dolly with other toads. The down side is 4 or 5 minutes longer to hitch up, and sometimes finding a place to park the dolly when empty. Dolly with surge brakes is cheaper than tow bar, tow brackets, and brake system.


Happy-Trails
Foggy



Posted By: Pirate on 11/24/09 04:47pm

Foggy wrote:

I use a dolly with a Chrysler Town&Country. No modification needed and I can use the dolly with other toads. The down side is 4 or 5 minutes longer to hitch up, and sometimes finding a place to park the dolly when empty. Dolly with surge brakes is cheaper than tow bar, tow brackets, and brake system.
I owned a dolly once. Towed my van about 300 miles. I promptly sold the dolly and modified the van. I DO see many vans being towed on dollies. I would recommend rent a dolly for a short trip and see how you like it if you are not sure which way to go. Having a modified vehicle makes for quicker takeoff in the morning. It usually only takes me a couple of minutes to rig everything up for towing. Doubt you could match that with a dolly.


Posted By: randco on 11/25/09 03:55am

Deen wrote:

Pirate wrote:

Yes, you tow a minivan, with modifications. I'm on my second Chrysler product with no problems, over 10K miles. Both used the lube pump. Installation is ABSOLUTELY key to having no problems. It is easy to screw it up but once it is done correctly, you have nothing else to do.
Unless the pump fails and I personally know of one and there have been several other ones reported on the forum. Remco has been and was less than pleasant to deal with when I was researching towing a then new '05 Ody. They said it was towable four down but hung up on me when I asked them to guarantee it in writing since Honda would void the warranty.

Deen you are always so negative about the Remco products. I have read many many threads on this forum and others about Remco products. Most are very happy with their products. Just because you had a bad experience with them doesn't make them a bad company to deal with. Like I said, many others have good things to say about their products.


Posted By: B Bob on 11/14/09 09:15pm

try the Remco web site. They have a comprehensive list with a lot of back years on what cars and minivans need to be towed 4 down.


Posted By: AstroRig57 on 11/14/09 10:52pm

Golden_HVAC wrote:

The Ford Taurus X can be towed 4 wheels down, and seats 7. 3.5L V6 and automatic with front wheel drive or all wheel drive. It is nearly the size of a minivan.


Of course, the Taurus X was discontinued with the 2009 model year.

We went shopping with the intent of getting a Taurus X in August. We first drove the Taurus X and I was mildly impressed but not overwhelmed. On somewhat of a whim, we then test drove a Flex. It was (is) extremely quite. Road and wind noise is almost non-existent. It has more interior room than the Taurus X and, in fact, has more room behind the second row of seats than our Expedition. With seats up it seats seven and, with them down, the interior cargo space is cavernous. The interior appointments are also luxurious. It was, is, in a different class than than the Taurus X.

My wife was not with my son and I when we first drove the Flex. When I brought her to the dealer the next day, her first exclamation was, "This is like a mini limousine"...and so it is. It is a very substantial car. We bought it at the end of her test drive.

We hadn't even considered it as a toad until an article in Motorhome magazine noted that it could be towed four down.

Cool Crossover: Ford Flex a One-of-a-Kind Dinghy

As much of our RVing is boondocking in remote dark sky sites for astronomy, we don't often use a toad but now have the Flex configured for when we do. It's my wife's daily driver and with the RoadMaster XL Series "Hidden" Brackets I'm sure most who see it have no idea it is also configured to be towed.

The Motorhome Magazine article was about the 2009 Flex, which we own. The 2010 Flex is also available with Ford's new EcoBoost™ twin-turbocharged direct-injection V6 engine which puts out 365 horsepower, 350 lb.-ft. of torque across a wide 1,500 – 5,000 rpm range, and gets an estimated 17 city/25 highway fuel economy. This is the same engine that powers the new Taurus SHO and the new Lincoln MKS.

* This post was edited 11/14/09 11:09pm by AstroRig57 *


Shopping. Sold 2005 31' Coachmen Freelander 3150SS, considering options.

Do you remember when the sky was dark, and the stars were bright?
The International Dark-Sky Association
American by birth...Scottish by the Grace Of God.



Posted By: submustang on 11/21/09 04:58pm

My son-in-law and I installed a Remco axle disconnect on his Ford Windstar. It replaces the passenger side axle. It seems to work quite well and is easy to use.


2002 Tradewinds LTC
2004 Toyota Tundra Doublecab Toad
2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
USN Ret


Posted By: Deen on 11/23/09 07:58pm

Pirate wrote:

Yes, you tow a minivan, with modifications. I'm on my second Chrysler product with no problems, over 10K miles. Both used the lube pump. Installation is ABSOLUTELY key to having no problems. It is easy to screw it up but once it is done correctly, you have nothing else to do.
Unless the pump fails and I personally know of one and there have been several other ones reported on the forum. Remco has been and was less than pleasant to deal with when I was researching towing a then new '05 Ody. They said it was towable four down but hung up on me when I asked them to guarantee it in writing since Honda would void the warranty.


Posted By: bsinmich on 12/10/09 06:33pm

I have a T&C and am seriously considering towing it. The PT is now 7 years old and older than any car we have had in our 50 years of marriage. We have 68000 on the odometer and about another 35000 behind the MHs. We are on the 3rd. set of brakes and tires on the front but, other than that, the REMCO trans pump has done it's job. My wife still won't part with her PT.


2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake


Posted By: broke1 on 12/06/09 07:21pm

Great Deen...fess up. What product from the company did you personally use and that has failed you so much that you feel compelled to continue this decade long campaign? Please don't tell us once again these long lost stories about your "friends" that can't remember what happened. Tell us once about your experience with the product. Don't need to hear about how you argued with their technical opinion on compatibility with your minivan. I think we all want to hear a few facts (okay...maybe just one) that pertains to your experience with the product.


Posted By: Pirate on 12/06/09 07:46pm

Deen: I've been around here a bit too. I'm just having a hard time coming up with these negatives you keep mentioning. Perhaps if you spent some time searching, you could provide some links to these complaints. I seem to recall only reading stuff like I know someone who knows someone, etc., and it was only like 1 or 2 times. I have no stake in Remco but I do find it interesting that you work so hard to talk down their products.


Posted By: broke1 on 12/01/09 10:44pm

Deen/Pirate: The interesting thing is that Deen never had a bad experience with the product. In fact, he has no experience with the Remco product. He used to state that he had friends that had problems...later it was fellow club members that had problems...sometimes the problems Deen reports are related to the disconnect and other times the lube pump. As I recall, at least two of Deen's problems were from people who didn't really know what happened. I think this means they made a simple mistake...didn't follow the directions and burned up their transmissions. My very own father made a mistake once using a Brakebuddy. He also didn't follow the directions and forgot to pump the brakes a few times before heading out. Sure enough with the right conditions, his brakes locked up and he burned up four good tires. He didn't blame the product, however, and admitted to making a mistake in not following the directions. I wish after all these years Deen and his friends would do the same. I feel very sorry for them in that they live in this world where it is so difficult to accept their own errors.


Posted By: Deen on 12/02/09 12:59am

randco wrote:


Deen you are always so negative about the Remco products. I have read many many threads on this forum and others about Remco products. Most are very happy with their products. Just because you had a bad experience with them doesn't make them a bad company to deal with. Like I said, many others have good things to say about their products.
True, Remco has proven to me and many others that they are not a company to be trusted. Untill I have actuall proof that they have changed I'll stand by my posts. They are the truth and not "opinion" as some people post.


Posted By: McDuff on 11/27/09 11:04am

I tow a T&C using a Remco lube pump. I had one fail, light and beeper sounded, so I ran the engine til we got to our destination. Called Remco, pump was still under warranty, and they overnighted a new one to the nearest dealer and setup an install time for me.

The 2nd pump was installed way better than the previous one, and I have put about 12k miles on it so far, trouble free. I'm a satisfied customer and wrote Remco telling them so.


Rather be Ridin' then Rollin'
Winnebago '03 UA 40E(wheelchair accessible)
'05 Chrysler T&C (Braun Entervan)
Roadmaster Blackhawk2
Remco Lube pump


Posted By: bryantclan on 11/28/09 11:29am

Thread on towing the Honda Odyssey. I have towed mine now nearly 12k miles four down with no problems and am about to do another 4k over xmas this year.


http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22744990.cfm

randco wrote:

Deen wrote:

Pirate wrote:

Yes, you tow a minivan, with modifications. I'm on my second Chrysler product with no problems, over 10K miles. Both used the lube pump. Installation is ABSOLUTELY key to having no problems. It is easy to screw it up but once it is done correctly, you have nothing else to do.
Unless the pump fails and I personally know of one and there have been several other ones reported on the forum. Remco has been and was less than pleasant to deal with when I was researching towing a then new '05 Ody. They said it was towable four down but hung up on me when I asked them to guarantee it in writing since Honda would void the warranty.

Deen you are always so negative about the Remco products. I have read many many threads on this forum and others about Remco products. Most are very happy with their products. Just because you had a bad experience with them doesn't make them a bad company to deal with. Like I said, many others have good things to say about their products.



Shaun & Jarese
3 Kids, Nicholas 13, Alex 9, Cassie 6 Years
Denver, Co
Newmar AllStar 3950 (mid-engine diesel)
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Toad or Jeep Grand
www.startingtosave.com




Print  |  Close