|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> casita vs. r-pod

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
bradysplace

texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/09 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't mind being open minded and straight forward I could use some advice. I want to buy a 17 casita or a 177 r-pod. I've done some research but would love to hear the opinions of people who actually have some experience with either of these. r-pod, very small bathroom and no sink, has no hanging locker - not sure about the floor or wall construction. Casita, heavier, not as much living area as the slide out 177 - no dealer network/maint. facilities if you travel - much smaller tanks - much more expensive with comparible upgrades. Have read some scary stories about both on their forums. Please help with some practical advice. I have owned large 5th wheels before but want a little camping trailor that I will tow with a small truck with a max tow rating of 3400 lbs. Thanks in advance. Greg bradysplace1@earthlink.net

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/09 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We LOVED our 16' Casita. Towed it about 30,000 miles. Then wife became handicapped so we traded up to a toyhauler.

Only problem we had was it needed a new door latch about every 15,000 miles. Just a few rivits, so not a big deal. We DID need sway control with it. Scary stories?

PM me if you have questions.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

kevinbti

st louis

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/09 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deleted

* This post was edited 11/17/09 08:11am by kevinbti *

Kevin Tierney

uncleroman

clear lake texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/09 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i had a 13' scamp it was a 79 and i sold it for 2k$. i doubt you could get 2k for any other trailer that old. the bed was 6'2" and so am i. didnt work out.

2000 f250 7.3 4x4 supercrew shortbed- k&n, hypertech programmer, stock exhaust minus baffles and muffler
equal-i-zer hitch
prodigy brake controler
2003 17a jayco kiwi

cpaharley2008

york,pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/09 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just sold my 16' T@da which was self contained with a bed,bath,kitchen and weighed 2400 lbs dry. If it is just for you, a Casita or Scamp and R-pod would be fine. If you have more than 1 occupant then these all get a little cramped. I'm moving up to a 19' Lance travel trailer but it weighs 3400 lbs dry and maybe too much for your tv.

2009 Dodge Ram Hemi 4x4 11,300miles- lifetime warranty
2012 Toyota FJ-500 miles
2014 Escape 21' All Season trailer

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/09 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also check out the smaller Fun Finders and Cikiras. Very light, well made. Not as sturdy as the Casita, which is a fiberglass egg. But a Casita is more expensive, I think.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

LenSatic

Cochise Co., AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/09 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe. We've put 15,000 miles on it in the last 18 months. We love it.

We boondock almost exclusively and it's perfect for that.

If you were to carry all the stuff we do, you'd be right up against your tow limit, though. We had a 5000lb limit on our Pathfinder and just recently moved up to a Tahoe.

They are more expensive but if you check the used market (if you can find one) you'll find that they hold their value very well.

You're right, there are no dealers which means that there is also no dealer mark-up. You live in Texas so picking one up at Rice shouldn't be a problem.

As for maintenance, anything that you will need fixed will be covered by the specific product warranty and can be repaired at any RV repair facility. (When we picked ours up, on the way back to California the water pump failed. I called the factory and there was a new pump waiting for us when we got home.)

The shell itself is very solid and should not need any repairs unless you wreck it. Even then you could take it back to Rice or to any boat yard that repairs fiberglass boats.

Good luck. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

LS

EDIT TO ADD:
Quote:

Have read some scary stories about both on their forums.

For the Casita, I take it you're talking about the exploding tires? This seems to be a weight problem as the 17 footer is very close to the weight restrictions on the Load C tires. Many, if not most, of us have moved up to Load D tires and Casita now offers Load Ds as an option.

* This post was last edited 11/17/09 02:02pm by LenSatic *   View edit history

2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

pete42

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/09 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Casita hands down. I owned 2 scamps both great had to sell last one due to health reasons (I needed the money).

gheicher

Southwestern PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/09 03:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on what you like; a larger more square TT like Casita or a more streamlined (less interior space) retro TT like Rpod. The Casita is more practical, but I like the feel & look of the Rpod, so.......... I had a Scamp and wound up with a FunFinder and an Aliner, but I'm still looking (I really like the new Trailmanor Liteweight).... notyetconvinced, jerry

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> casita vs. r-pod
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS