|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Towing a small car behind a 5th Wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Chief21

Topeka KS

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/10 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 350 Diesel and pull a 29' fifth wheel. I have towed a boat behind before but we are planning to tow a small car now, a Tracker. I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has towed a car behind a fifth wheel and any experiences they have had. We will use a tow dolly with electric brakes. Thank you.

Delaine and Lindy

Linden Tn. (The View)

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/10 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had no issues while towing our Chevy HHR behind the 5er. If you set the towed vehicle up properly you should have now issues. Make sure your hitch is done properly on you 5th wheel and make sure the 5th wheel will handle the weight!!!!! Check out for warranty issues. Have all the work done by Professionals. Make sure you have a Truck that is big enough to handle the rig. I wouldn't tow double with a 1 ton Truck. GBY...........

* This post was edited 01/29/10 03:27pm by Delaine and Lindy *

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's LTZ ******Traded******
Trailer Saver Air Ride (SOLD) (Sold)

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3, with vanity slide (SOLD)

"Montana" our Sweet Furr Kid
12/21/10 "RIP" miss you!!

We are BLESSED!!!!

fullautodave

currently in Rogers, Ar

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/10 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a Jeep Wrangler behind my 38 foot fifth wheel and a F-450. No problems. I would rather flat tow but I have never used a dolly. Don't know. I would think with a 29 foot trailer , depending on the weight, you would be ok with a 1 ton truck, but you should stay as close to GVWR as possible. If you have towed a boat before then you know the laws. I am somewhere around 73 foot and have never had a problem in a state that allowed it regardless of their "length" laws. Don't try it in states that don't allow it. I tried to cut across about 100 miles of Pennsylvania one night and got busted. No fine but had to disconnect, thats easier with a car than a boat!

2009 Mobile Suites TKSB3
2008 Ford F-450 Superduty
2009 Jeep Rubicon toad
1999 Bigfoot C1011FR

Fulltimer50

Mt Pleasant, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/10 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed a Ford ranger behind a 28' Carri-lite using a tow dolly. Made a frame mounted hitch. No extra brakes other than the 5th wheel and F250 tow vehicle. Tow dolly brakes would be better. The combo worked very well as long as I stayed below 65 which I do anyway. Stopped a little heavy but not what I thought was unacceptable. You cant back the combo up unless you go perfectly straight. The ranger and the tow dollys wheels would follow right in the trailers tracks. No need to make very wide turns. Check local laws.

* This post was edited 01/31/10 09:48am by Fulltimer50 *

George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2013 Lifestyle LS37RESL 5th Wheel

Billy Big Rig

Smack Dab in the Middle

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/10 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haul doubles with an F250, 30' Copper Canyon and either a 25' pontoon boat or a 20' snowmobile trailer with a couple quads on it.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING - A very strong hitch that is constructed/designed to be tied into the frame of the fiver. I paid about $500 for a local steel fabrication shop to build the******out of it. I wouldn't hesistate to haul a car behind it, even with my F250.

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/10 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Towing a small car behind a 5th Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts