|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Fences/Containment systems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dualgwp

New Hope PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/10 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use x-pens as well. I've set them up in some very exclusive RV parks and no one has ever said a word.
I can be in the RV and they can be outside with no worries about them getting out.
They set up quick, come down quick, fold flat for storage.... can't beat em!
You can indeed set them up so your entire awning area is fenced in, and with a little creativity, fix it so they can come in and out at will.
Dual

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/10 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ex-pens are THE way to go when RV'ing. I have a couple of climbers so I bought the matching tops for them so I can go in the MH and not have to stay right with them all the time.

I have had several CG managers compliment me on the set up and mentioned that they wished every pet owner camper came with them.

I bought a bike rack that fits on the ladder and the expens ride back there when on the road out of the way. They also make a square bumper bike hitch that is made to fit over the spare tire that makes for a 'great' ex-pen carrier.

razorbass

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/10 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I made my own setup. I've cleaned it up a bit since I built it, but here are some pics when I first put it together.

For the part that is near the RV, I made one side higher to cover the wheel wells. I also have a curved piece that is under the steps.

I attach the corners with bungees. When folded and put away, it looks like this:

I still use and recommend the Xpen. I use it for a portable containment system when I am not camping. I would have pieced a few of them together instead of building one, but the door to get in and out is not made for people.

I wanted a setup where I could open the door and let them out, then leash-up outside (not much room inside for that when there are 4 of them!). Plus they can hang in the shade near the RV when we are by the campfire. All told, I think it cost me less than 100 bucks.

* This post was edited 02/02/10 06:10am by an administrator/moderator *

corgi-traveler

Bakersfield, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/10 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Expens are the way to go. You do need to have a very good idea of how high your dog can jump, and then get one size taller than that!
For the poster whose dog pushed the panels into an acute angle, if you use a top, it has to stay square. You can also use snap hooks or caribiners to keep the corners square. Or, you can do as we have done and taught the dogs that their feet are NOT to touch the expen. It goes part and parcel with crate training, that they cannot scratch, claw, or otherwise molest their crate or expen. You have to be very persistent in correcting this behavior for it to go away.

As for wireless systems, they are dangerous. Often times even after dogs are trained with them, they simply decide that the cat, squirrel, etc on the other side of the boundary is worth a little zap,and off they go. But, when the chase is over, it's not worth the pain to come back into the yard, so they take off.

Samantha (the poster)
Tim, spouse and driver of the Corgi-Bus
Buddy, Diva, and Pippin - Pembroke Welsh Corgis

mynetdude

Grants Pass, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/10 10:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

corgi-traveler wrote:

Expens are the way to go. You do need to have a very good idea of how high your dog can jump, and then get one size taller than that!
For the poster whose dog pushed the panels into an acute angle, if you use a top, it has to stay square. You can also use snap hooks or caribiners to keep the corners square. Or, you can do as we have done and taught the dogs that their feet are NOT to touch the expen. It goes part and parcel with crate training, that they cannot scratch, claw, or otherwise molest their crate or expen. You have to be very persistent in correcting this behavior for it to go away.

As for wireless systems, they are dangerous. Often times even after dogs are trained with them, they simply decide that the cat, squirrel, etc on the other side of the boundary is worth a little zap,and off they go. But, when the chase is over, it's not worth the pain to come back into the yard, so they take off.

The wireless system is also not a good idea if your dog is going to yipe and bark from the pain and can't figure out where to go back to make it stop so you end up hearing a dog that sounds like it is in distress (well it is!) that's worse IMHO.

I have never seen my dog try to jump, her friends jump (my sister's dog) my dog will dig a bit but I don't think she digs necessarily to get out (perhaps so). I am not comfortable with any of the pens petco offers because the pens aer almost her height and what if you have a bigger dog? Those pens aren't going to hold them in!

'01 F350SD
'03 35' Victory Lane TH
'07 50cc Sym JetEuro moped/scooter
'10 Giant Cypress Bicycle
Isabel- my dog

Where I've gone RVing: New State added!

1971duster340

NE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/10 01:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the plastic Portable Playard (not the floor included type) that snap together and twist at the connections...about 3 ft x 3 ft. for ea. panel. You can configure them in about any shape. The bigger ones are hard to find, but Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. was our source.
Example:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/North-States-Superyard-Xt-Gate/8457890

* This post was edited 03/04/10 01:29am by an administrator/moderator *

Greg
2007 Chariot

lasparrot

outside Ottawa, Canada's Capital

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/10 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Expens all the way! We have 4 of them which makes a nice large area, much bigger than the size of the awning. The dogs are more comfortable as they can move around and cuddle together and better still be near us. There are no ropes to tangle or trip on. The dogs are content and quiet.

We set ours up so it looks neat and tidy and also keep our campsite tidy. We've only had compliments on our setup as the looks don't detract from the campground.

And like Samantha, no feet allowed on panels!

Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

spadoctor

Clinton Corners, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/10 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as stated before....many if not most campgrounds do not allow pens or electric fences...the one we seasional in now is that way....they require a leash if the pet is outside no matter what.

distaff

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/10 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also use X-pens. We use 4 foot tall ones, and I use them at dog shows where "dog at large" is one of the worst things you can hear. To get a little "push over" prevention we put tight zig zags in ours every couple of panels as a sort of buttress to keep the upright when our dogs stand up against the fence, and we hang fabric panels inside to keep our dogs from going nuts when ever another dog goes buy (happens a lot at dog shows). We also run a low X-pen along the bottom of the motor home to prevent escapes from that side. One big advantage of this is that if a dog slips past us, we have a second line of defense.

We have used ours at a number of RV parks, since it is neat and attractive the owners have never objected (we do tell them when we check in that we intend to do this). Also, our dogs are NEVER in the enclosure without one of us.

Paul
2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder, 1999 Suburban.

mynetdude

Grants Pass, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/10 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you do with dogs over 4ft tall? (like St Bernard or Great Danes? I don't think those XPens will work. Fortunately I don't have a dog that big yet, but I would like to someday (I think)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Fences/Containment systems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS