Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Tool box

Posted By: bkick on 03/30/10 01:52pm

I have an alum tool box that sweats so badly that the water is standing in the bottom of the box. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to stop this? I am sure that it is not leaking under the lid as I have added extra foam to the entire lip of the box.

Bkick

Posted By: trucker495 on 03/30/10 02:26pm

I have the same problem with mine as well. Hopefully we will get a solution.
Trucker

Posted By: vietvet66-67 on 03/30/10 02:29pm

maybe a vent on each end to provide some air flow would help.........

2006 Chevy 3500 DRW LBZ/ALLY LT2 The "DREAM CATCHER"
1999 Newmar American Star Newmar Kountry Klub #19708
Curt Q20 P-2 Controller
LIFE MEMBER OF THE VFW MEMBER 335 "DUALLY CLUB"
"GOD, GUTS, AND GUNS KEEP AMERICA FREE"

Posted By: tvman44 on 03/30/10 05:26pm

Mine does not sweat but I would think a couple of holes in the bottom would provide ventilation or at least the allow water to drain.

Papa Bob
1* DW "Granny"
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Posted By: Terrydactile on 03/30/10 04:24pm

I have an aluminum box but I've never seen it sweat. I do know that it came two 1" diameter holes in the bottom, one on each end. Maybe thats why it doesn't sweat. The holes must provide enough ventilation.

Scott & Theresa Boyd
2 Daughters (Cassie & Brittany)
1 Furkid (Ella, a Basset Golden mix)
2008 Keystone Passport 280BH
2013 F 150 Supercrew EcoBoost XLT

Posted By: jetboater454 on 03/30/10 03:50pm

When I had a tool box in the other truck I just drilled a few holes in the bottom of the box.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

Posted By: trucker495 on 03/30/10 07:38pm

Hey Sandy,
Will do the 2X4 fix tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.
Trucker

Posted By: bkick on 03/31/10 07:04am

Will try raising box and also putting a couple of holes to allow better air in the box.

Thanks for all suggestions

Posted By: SteveRankin on 03/31/10 11:00pm

We've had 3 different aluminum tool boxes in our trucks and none of them sweats. With or without ventilation.

Seems to me that the problem is Florida. If you move far enough north, you won't have that problem. Up where we live, you've got to work really hard before anything sweats and I never saw a tool box work that hard.

Steve & C. J.
Gracie Rough Collie
Bo'sun Bichon Frise
Marli Lab

2011 Fox Mountain 245RKS

1998 Bigfoot 25C9.6B

2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 4X4, Cummins 6.7, Crewcab SRW LB
TrailerSaver BD3 & MOR/Ryde

Our Arctic by RV trip

Our Beaver motorhome Technical page

Posted By: webecreekin on 03/30/10 09:19pm

I had a problem with moisture in the bottom of my tool box as well. It sits on the floor of the bed and is attached to the floor with bolts. I found that some old towels that I had on the bottom were usually wet. What I found to be the problem was when I washed the truck, the water was being wicked up through the holes the bolts were through. I got some silicon sealant, loosened the attachment bolts, and put plenty of silicon in the hole before tightening the bolts back down thus sealing the bottom of the box. Result: no more water in the tool box.

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab--Duramax/Allison
2009 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS

www.cedarcreekrvownersclub.com

Posted By: pritch272 on 03/30/10 05:30pm

I had a box that I swear must have leaked all the time, I tried extra foam, etc, still had wet stuff in it. I even emptied it of everything, dried it out really well, and then took a lot of newspaper and filled most of it with newspaper balls. Then I closed the lid, and took a water hose to it for several minutes trying to find out how water got in it, never got any of the newspaper wet. Finally swapped it out for another box and I've had no more issues. Still don't know where the water was coming from. It was bolted to the floor of the truck. The new box sits above the floor with the edges over the bed rails.

Good luck in solving it, I never was able to until I got a different box.

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540

Posted By: roryferrari on 03/30/10 08:00pm

Being in refrigeration I would suggest using armaflex sheet insulation. (flat foam rubber sheet) It comes in different thicknesses, 1/4 to 1/2 and more. Install inside the box w 3m spray adhesive. This would serve at least 2 purposes. Nothing would slide around, it would be quiet and would prevent condensation and semi durable. Supply houses catering to a/c and refrigeration would carry this, and possibly Grainger supply. Not sure about Home Depot or Lowes. Good luck!

Posted By: 45Ricochet on 03/30/10 08:13pm

pritch272 wrote:

I had a box that I swear must have leaked all the time, I tried extra foam, etc, still had wet stuff in it. I even emptied it of everything, dried it out really well, and then took a lot of newspaper and filled most of it with newspaper balls. Then I closed the lid, and took a water hose to it for several minutes trying to find out how water got in it, never got any of the newspaper wet. Finally swapped it out for another box and I've had no more issues. Still don't know where the water was coming from. It was bolted to the floor of the truck. The new box sits above the floor with the edges over the bed rails.

Good luck in solving it, I never was able to until I got a different box.

This is what I have found also. It was bolted to the floor of the truck. The new box sits above the floor with the edges over the bed rails. I get no moisture at all now.
The box that sets above the bed also allows enough room to slide full sheets under it and close the gate if a LB. It also allows longer lumber (16') to be wedged under it thus a clamping device for the 6' over hang. Of course a lumber rack works better when installed already, but mine is on and off quite a bit. Hopefully off quite a bit this camping season.

06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
GVWR 12,200 RAWR 9350
06 Grand Junction 34' High profile 15500 GVWR 3200 pin Mor/ryde 5500 Onan genny Dual A/C Wet bolts
27' Hallett 502, 500HP

Posted By: sandy43 on 03/30/10 07:12pm

I think I can help with this subject, at least hope so. I have a really nice AL box in the truck. I originally mounted it on the bed floor and it created lots of sweat. I bolted a couple of 2x4's to the bed and mounted the box to the wood. This totally eliminated all sweating. Why I don't know, but it worked.

Print  |  Close