|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> water pump keeps running

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
booster

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/10 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yizit wrote:

downtheroad......... What's confusing to us is last night we tried everything and we think the pump was running correctly. We filled all the tanks to sanitize and then today we emptied the tanks and refilled them. Then tried the pump again. As soon as we turned it on it ran and we turned on all the faucets to let air out. It spit and sputtered and then ran a very low stream of water. Then we turned off the faucet and the pump kept running. After a minute or 2 we turned it off. Now it turns on immediately when we hit the switch. FRUSTRATING AS H3!!. I called a RV dealer and they said the pump is shot, called another one and they are baffled and suggested bringing it in.
\

Having the pump not run right, low flow, too quiet, etc at tank filling after a full drain happens a lot on Roadtreks. The fact that yours ran and now doesn't would indicate air in the system is most likely the problem. The pumps have trouble picking up enough water on the suction side to fill the pump to provide adequate suction to provide full flow, and you get that trickle, but no more. The cure is to get all the lines full of water to the pump and reduce the suction lift distance. One way, as was mentioned, is to hook up to the city water and push water through and out all the faucets, be sure to get all 4 outlets running clear with no air, with the hot water tank not bypassed so it fills. The other way is to fill you fresh water, tank/tanks right up to top till they run down the door jam. This puts the water level above the pump, so it doesn't have to lift the water and will allow it to totally fill the pumping chamber. You may need to keep the tanks topped off as you run the pump to push out the air and fill things. This has always worked for us, and we used to always have the same issues as you see when we drained and refilled the system (07, 190P).

Also, be sure to check you tank valve positions for the inside/outside tanks. The instructions are cryptic, at best, in the Roadtrek manual, but you should be able to make sense of them if you look carfully at the pics. Making sure the inside tank is full to the top of the filler, and being used (valve position) will really help the pump purge out the air.

yizit

Central Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/10 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

booster....thanks for your response. We did hook it up to city water and ran all faucets and toilet. Ran water into the tanks until water ran out of fill inlet. Switched it from city to pump and turned on the pump. It turns on immediately. We turn on each faucet one at a time. Spits..sputters and then the water pressure is very low. Turn off the faucet and the pump just keeps running. Our current problem is the waste tanks are nearly full and our macerator pump isn't working, so we can't dump the gray tank and it's nearly full. We just had the hose replaced at Camping World and we'll be taking it back to them to fix. IT'S JUST SO FRUSTRATING!!!!!!

Jim & Darlene
Pickles our Teddy Bear
2013 Roadtrek RS Adventurous (aka..Roada)
Wisconsin Dells...Water park capital of the world

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/10 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The "spits and sputters" part really sounds like the water heater isn't full. Does the toilet flush valve gurgle and sputter when open, too?

But if there's no water dripping out underneath anywhere by now, it's probably the pump. I don't recall the access situation from my '02 C190P, but if it's reasonable, the replacement should be easy. Probably two mounting screws, two plumbing lines, and two wires in a plug.

Jim, "Apathy: I can take it or leave it."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

harleybluecobra

groton Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/10 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 1997 Roadtrek city water inlet there is a check valve when I am not hooked up to city water I have a plastic screw plug to put in there in case the check valve leaks by and believe me they sometimes leak by and there is your air leak

Bob Moyer

booster

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/10 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yizit wrote:

We solved the problem with the water pump. Soninlaw looked at it, played with it, pulled it apart, cleaned the filter, still nothing worked right. Removed the filter and tried it...worked. Put it all back together with filter...just kept running. Tried turning off the outside water-faucet....bingo...everything worked. No outside faucet I guess. We're okay with that. Another problem solved.

If it was the cold water valve to the outside faucet, it also goes to the city inlet fitting and the tank fill valve. If shutting that valve off makes things work, it would tend to indicate that the city tank fill valve is stuck open and not allowing the pump to build pressure. If you are talking about the actual faucet, it may just have been that it was bleeding off too much flow to let the pump fill, and once it works a couple of cycles, you might be fine. Many times, the best way to bleed air is with the faucet only a little open so it gives a little backpressure to the pump.

yizit

Central Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/10 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We solved the problem with the water pump. Soninlaw looked at it, played with it, pulled it apart, cleaned the filter, still nothing worked right. Removed the filter and tried it...worked. Put it all back together with filter...just kept running. Tried turning off the outside water-faucet....bingo...everything worked. No outside faucet I guess. We're okay with that. Another problem solved.

LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/10 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the pump keeps running each time we water up the system after a time of no use. Once the hot water tank is full, we go around and open all the water valves one at a time, including the toilet. Once we do that, it gets all the air out of the system, the pipes fill up with water and the pump will stop. typical for an RV system

1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6"
1985 WILDERNESS 3000CL
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> water pump keeps running
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS