|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Chevy Astro Based Camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
afob3

Maryville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/10 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not really sure if this would be a bigger B or a little C since it has a cutaway cab. Either way I spotted one of these tonight and thought it was a rarity and went googling. The one I saw wasn't nearly as nice as this one but I thought I would share.

clicky

* image removed due to lack of rights for usage - administration received request from rvhunter.com to remove.

* This post was edited 04/22/10 08:26am by an administrator/moderator *

2012 Koala 25DS
2011 F150 Ecoboost SuperCrew with Max Tow Package

www.familyobrien.net

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/10 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen one of these.

Kamphiker

South Florida (this 'aint paradise anymore)

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/10 05:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use to see a lot of these in the SE states (Allegro is based out of Alabama). I would consider them to be B+ today although when they first came out I don't think everyone was putting designation to a class.

My parents had a Allegro class C (traditional C) purchased about the same time these first hit the market. The greatest aspect of the Allegro was (and still is) the factory support. My parent lived in Birmingham and returned several times to Red Bay to have issues taken care of and never a question and repair/replacement even on the entry door that started falling apart 2 years after the warranty expired. Quality of Allegro back in those days was only average. Quality today in their Class A is above average with still great factory support and one reason every time I hear that Allegro is going to get back into the "C" class again I take notice.

I remember there were issues with the Astro Based Motorhomes usually related to overloading. Seems that even rolling off the factory floor they were overloaded. While the V6 in the Astro was a great engine there were many issues with overheating when pushed to their capacity.

2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/10 05:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gene's got the right of it, since it left the automaker as a complete van. No different than a RT 210 or PW Excel. It's a B, and there's not really any question.

I specifically asked Dave Rowe, former president of Provan about this. GM never offered a cutaway on the Astro. Provan built Tiger GT's and XL's on Astro vans for well over a decade, and every one required them to cut down a complete van.

Here's another Astro-Allegro that I saw about four years ago, oddly enough on Provan's consignment lot:

If I'd realized how rare and peculiar it was, I'd have taken more pics. I'm pretty sure it was a product of one of the many periods of rising gas prices.

Jim, "Gimme coffee!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/10 05:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HI,

It should be classed as a B+ or a class C. Basically all class C have a van based or truck based body that has RV factory made sidewalls, not the van manufacture's sidewalls.

Class B should be those motorhomes with sidewalls made at the van manufactures factory.

B+ was added for those RV's without the typical class C cabover section, but still compact class of motorhome that is not much longer than a class B. It normally will have RV factory made sidewalls and raised roof section. It meets all the qualifications of a class C, except no cabover section.

Fred.

Gene in NE

Omaha

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/10 11:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afob3 wrote:

I'm not really sure if this would be a bigger B or a little C since it has a cutaway cab...
As strange as it might seem, believe this would be considered a Class B. I do not recall anyone ever claiming that the Chevy Astro was made available to converters with a cut-away cab and chassis. In this case, it likely was "Allegro" that cut off the body of the van and converted it into a motorhome. If the unit left Chevrolet as a complete van, no matter what happens to it afterwards, it remains a Class B. In the case of the Chevy Express, Chevrolet sells the cab cut-away to converters thus being a Class C.

2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/10/10 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Contrary to all those who have insisted the rig in the pic below is 'by definition' a B, it, in fact, has nothing to do with B class RVs, as anyone can see.

Unofficial definitions of RV classes can be found all over the web. One of these states a B class must have the coach contained within the original van box with allowance for a add-on high top. As such, highly chopped rigs like the Allegro, RT 210, PW Excel, etc. are no longer vans, and as such, are best classified as B+ (between a B and C class).

afob3 wrote:

I'm not really sure if this would be a bigger B or a little C since it has a cutaway cab. Either way I spotted one of these tonight and thought it was a rarity and went googling. The one I saw wasn't nearly as nice as this one but I thought I would share.

clicky

* This post was edited 04/10/10 10:06pm by an administrator/moderator *

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/10 05:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron

Comparing pics of your Phoenix and the Allegro, you were looking at comparably sized B+ MHs. Ours is 22 ft. long, but a bit wider, I think.

When we were looking, we test drove a PW Excel, which really should be considered a small B+. It has single rear wheels, and like you point out, this is problematic. The rig, whose van box is cut off and replaced by a much larger fiberglass shell, really seemed to sway too much as if it was overloaded and its wheelbase was too narrow. It was a barely used unit and priced the same as our new TL, which provided a more stable ride and more space.

I wonder how the Allegro handles.

2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/10 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burlmart,

Your Trail-lite and my Phoenix Cruiser are made well with good margin to add whatever cargo and tow we can think of, yet not bounce down the highway if we don't.

Had GM offered the Astro-based chassis in a heavy duty cut-away with duals, that would have been a good base for the Allero.

Getting around that deficiency, the Allero should have used a heavy duty duel rear axle from any other vehicle, making it a hybrid chassis. It is likely that is what they did anyway with singles back there.

The Winnebago Vista suffers the same. The Rialta is a "maybe".

* This post was edited 04/11/10 06:38am by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 04/10/10 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I considered an Allero in my shopping days in 2006-2007 but ruled them out for one reason.....one rear tire, not duals. I been down that road before with our 1983 Toyota chassis motor home.

* This post was edited 04/11/10 06:26am by ron.dittmer *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Chevy Astro Based Camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS