|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Direct TV - local channels

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Like2Travel

Hoover, Alabama USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/10 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got to Williamsburg. Called Direct and asked to change service area. The young lady was very polite and did that for me in just a few minutes. Then I tried to look at one of the local channels. Nothing! I told her that I was not getting anything. She asked me what type of dish I was using. I have a round dual LNB dish. It won't work here. She explained that the local channels are broadcast on the 119 bird and I would need a new 3 LNB dish. So here I am. Still no locals. DW is mad at me. I can either watch everything except locals with the DVR or watch through to campground cable. I told DW that she had the choice. When I get back home, I guess that I will have to look into a new dish for my RV.

John & Evelyn
2013 Dodge Ram Larimie 2500HD 4X2 Crew Cab 3.42
Outback 28 FRLS Sydney
Dodge Builtin Brake Control
B&W Companion Hitch
2 Trojan T105's

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/10 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like2travel - how about getting an A/B switch and using that to change between the cable and satellite?

Dennis Henderson

Crystal River, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/10 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like2Travel wrote:

She asked me what type of dish I was using. I have a round dual LNB dish. It won't work here. She explained that the local channels are broadcast on the 119 bird and I would need a new 3 LNB dish...When I get back home, I guess that I will have to look into a new dish for my RV.

As I said we just went through this two days ago in our new location in NC.

We have an old TracVision SINGLE LNB DISH in our motorhome. Over the telephone the service address was changed but the locals weren't there. So the tech had me repeat the satellite dish setup, she reset the signal, and then the locals were there. THis is the first time that we didn't instantly have locals upon changing the service address with the tech. She did tell me at the time that DirecTV is experiencing some technical problems right now.

THIS MAY BE YOUR ISSUE--When we were doing the satellite dish setup, she had me select dual LNB dish even though it was not what I had. I questioned her and asked shouldn't we be selecting single LNB, but she said no, to select dual. Once we did that, then we were able to get the local channels.

This was all accomplished in that one phone call.

How about calling back and getting another tech to assist you and giving it another try?

Dennis and Cindy Henderson
fulltiming, currently at Crabtree Meadows at milepost 339 on the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina

Queens Carriage

Treasure Coast, FLorida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/10 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We solved our problem. Called back got another person on the phone. Told her we moved but our mailing address is the same. She said no problem. Went through the setup for local channels,didn't work. She asked what type dish we had only 1 nbl oh you need 3. I will have a tech come out and setup a new one free of charge. He left the old one now I have 2. He said now I have free insurance on all equiptment, I repet all of my equiptment for 90 days free, no charge for the added channels. Worked out well hope it goes that smooth for everyone else, thanks.

h2guy

Ain't seen a sign yet!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/10 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

If your network channels are from Los Angeles, you will have them do matter where you travel in the lower 48. DirecTV does not spot-beam the Los Angeles network channels; it uses them as part of their Distant Network Service.

Tom

Not correct Tom. LA's channels 2,4,7,& 11 are what are broadcasted as the West Coast DNS stations.

Their "Local" channels package includes Korean, Japanese, Chinese & Farsi language channels as well as a number of locally owned channels.

Big difference.

Rick & Carolyn
01 Ford SC 4x4 DRW
01 CarriLite 5ver

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/10 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

h2guy wrote:

Quote:

If your network channels are from Los Angeles, you will have them do matter where you travel in the lower 48. DirecTV does not spot-beam the Los Angeles network channels; it uses them as part of their Distant Network Service.

Tom

Not correct Tom. LA's channels 2,4,7,& 11 are what are broadcasted as the West Coast DNS stations.

Their "Local" channels package includes Korean, Japanese, Chinese & Farsi language channels as well as a number of locally owned channels.

Big difference.

I think 2, 4, 7, & 11 are CBS, NBC, ABC, & Fox. It seems you agree with me that the network channels are not spot-beamed.

Tom

Like2Travel

Hoover, Alabama USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/10 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Merrykalia wrote:

Like2travel - how about getting an A/B switch and using that to change between the cable and satellite?

Merrykalia, I got a chance today to go by a local Radio Shack today. I got the A/B switch, and the extra coax that I needed. Hooked it all up and it works very well. Yes, I do have 2 outside plugs for the satellite dish plus another one for a cable input. The TIVO can run all of the time doing its thing on all channels except locals. When we want to watch the locals, we just hit the switch and change over to the campground cable which comes in on the third outside input.

While at the Radio Shack, the manager and I had a discussion about this. He told me that everyone that lived around here had to change their dish out in the recent past to a 3 LNB dish. He seemed pretty sure that there was no way that I could get Direct TV locals here without changing dishes.

For now, we are OK with this setup. I plan on going HIdef at home and in the RV in the near future and I'm very sure that this is going to force me to switch dishes when I do this.

Thanks for the help.

patggg

Currently in Mosquito State Park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/10 05:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was wondering when you change the service address does the tax change. I know when we changed ours from Florida to Ohio there was a $5.00 difference in our bill.(to our good).

Fort Myers, Florida

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/10 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been following this post with great interest as I have just changed dishes for the reasons others have complained about.

With the invent of HD, Niagara Vision 3 and 4 by both Dish and Direct, newer, more sophisticated satellites being launched, and the constant moving of stations from one satellite to another, it is getting harder and harder to watch what you want from a single LNB dish. I finally broke down and ditched the single LNB dome for a 3 LNB Winegard Traveler. However, in a few years everything will probably be in HD, on one satellite, and we will be back to being able to get everything on a single LNB dish again.

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

Like2Travel

Hoover, Alabama USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/10 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok guys, as Paul Hrvey would say, now for the rest of the story.

I never got locals in Williamsburg. Now, I am in Pigeon forge, Tenn.
I still don't have locals. Since being here, I have talked to 4 different Direct people, two of whom were tech support people. In talking to these 4, all told me a different story. I even had one gal to tell me she could fix it so that I could get my home locals anywhere in the US. The first tech guy I talked to had me reboot the DVR and he did something on his end. I even went back through the setup and told the DVR that I had a 2 lnb oval dish which of course is not true. I have a 2 lnb round dish. I did get programs on the local network channels but what I was getting was not ABC, CBS, or NBC. When I got off of the phone with him, I thought that I was fixed because the channel guide showed me the correct information. I discovered later that what was showing on those channels was not the local network stations. I called back this evening and talked to another tech support guy. He then proceded to tell me that it was impossible to move around in an RV and pick up local network channels from the location you happen to be in.

I have never been so bewildered in my life. I think I could talk to a dozen of these pepole and get a different story every time. I don't know what is going on. I do think that I may be in need of a 3 lnb dish that can see more that one satellite. If I get one of these, is my 5 year old RCA DVR going to work with it? If I have to change out both of my dishes and all of my DVR and recievers, would I be better off with Dish or with Direct?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Direct TV - local channels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS