RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to fix leak in hydraulic hose for levelers?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> How to fix leak in hydraulic hose for levelers?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
kplender

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/10 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saturday, when lowering the jacks (Power Gear), I blew a small hole in the hydraulic line/hose and it "shot" oil everywhere. I cleaned it up and found the hole. It is in the rubber hose about 4 inches from the metal connector that actually screws onto the jack (the passenger side rear jack). What is the best way to fix this? Do they make a "splice" that can be inserted to connect 2 ends of the rubber hose after I cut out the part with the hole in it? I would think the best way would be to cut the hose about a foot from the connector, get a new 1 foot piece of hose, get new "end connector" and splice the 2 ends of the rubber hose together (again, if they make such a thing). Let me know what you think. Thanks.

1997 Bounder 36S on F53
2009 Hyundai Accent Toad

bsprague

Milton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/10 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a slide out hose pop a hole where it was rubbing on the frame. Under warranty, the Monaco shop in Wildwood, FL put in a splice. It was in a very awkward location so the tech didn't have a lot of faith he got it installed correctly. He was right because it failed again the next day. They ran an entirely new hose rather than attempt a second repair to the first.

Bill Sprague
2004 Beaver Monterey, 8.3 ISC 350 Cummins
2007 Ford Edge AWD
9 ft Quicksilver inflatable boat w/ 15 hp Suzuki

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/10 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can remove the hose. Take it to a farm implament dealer or a NAPA dealer. They can make you a new hose. One piece no patch.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/10 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It could be spliced that way, but I would remove the jack end of the host and take it to your local shop that makes hydraulic hoses.

My preference would be to have a hose made up with the same end as attaches to the jacks at one end and a splice at the other end.

But, this is what they do for a living. Cut off the hose from split and unscrew from the jack and ask for their recommendation.

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Rex & Shirley

Bastrop, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/10 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hydraulic systems operate up to 3,000PSI so a "splice", while doable, still would require the complete hose to be removed and the correct fittings crimped into the hose. No hydraulic shop I know of will do that. If the hose blew once w/o a chaffing problem, it will just blow out again in another location. It's at the end of its life.

Rex & Shirley S.
4 big dogs in a
Gulf Stream FriendShip

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/10 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't splice or repair hydraulic hoses!!
Can it be done? Sure, but you are inviting another mishap, and you could be responsible for a very costly (fines, etc) oil spill. You don't have to be the EXXON VALDEZ to have an oil spill.

The price of a new hose.....and the thought that the other hoses may be in similar condition, and should be replaced, is well worth the investment!

Keep in mind, hydraulic hoses, like any rubber products (tire, hoses, belts) have a shelf-life, and should be replaced after a certain period of time.

Happy Camping

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/10 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very good advice so far... replace the hose...splice will not work satisfactorily. If one part failed, another is close behind. These are HIGH PRESSURE hoses, unlike a garden hose. The hose must be removed anyway. Think of it this way...one hose two fittings. Splice will require four fittings. Which do you think is more expensive---one piece of hose and two fittings or one piece of hose and four fittings....do it right!..JMHO.....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
Chevy HHR W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Jim&Peg

Central Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/10 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replace the hose is the only way. Be very careful around high pressure oil leaks. A tiny squirt almost invisable has enough power to penatrate the skin and cause blood poisioning - very bad news.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/10 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A gear pump will only puts out about 2200psi, not 3500. If there is enough slack in the line I'd cut it near the hole and put on a AeroQuip screw on high pressure fitting (which I have). They are hard to find today as most just make hoses with crimp fittings. If you can get the hose out, it's probably better to just have a replacement made with all new.
Need to add some of mine to the MH spare parts list as a just in case. Thanks for making me think of this.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/10 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen this happen often on construction equipment. What we usually would do is clean the hose and put one of those stainless steel hose clamps over the hole and tighten it. Use a hose clamp of the size that will allow you to put the solid portion of the clamp over the hole, instead of the slotted portion.
Obviously this is not a long term solution but it saved us quite often on the construction site.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> How to fix leak in hydraulic hose for levelers?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS