|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> ABS light - need your help

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
klm

SIOUX FALLS, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/10 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently posted that my exhaust brake "squealed" when activated - bingo - to all that replied a leak in the exhaust system. I opened the engine cover and found lots of soot - but I couldn't determine the location of crack/leak. I have an app't to get that repaired - in the meantime, I am not using the exhaust brake. I am on coastal hwy 101 in Oregon - downshifting and quick stabs of the service brakes has been working. BUT....................

Traveled about 85 miles today, using downshift/service brakes - about an hour into the trip, the ABS light came on. Yikes, what next???? It came on once before - about 2 years ago - went right back off. So, all my cyber mechanics - give me your best shot at what and why?

I pulled over, smelled each brake - no hot or burning stink. I was on a level pull out, so I took off the brake and it rolled forward smoothly - no catch or grab. The brakes are working normally. The gauge for air pressure is normal. Could the soot from the exhaust set off a sensor? I arrived at the cg, shut down, and restarted about 15-20 minutes later, hoping the ABS light would go out - it didn't.

My BIG question - I am about 500 miles from my repair center, with not in between here and there. What is the danger, if any, to keep going??

I have a '02 Newmar, frieghtliner chassis, cummins 5.9 ISB. Thanks for any suggestions, and I realize long distance cyber space isn't the best, but I will use my common sense and your good engine knowledge.

Kathy

'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

wolfman01

Williston, ND.

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/10 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no danger in driving with the ABS light lit. It is telling you that it has logged a fault with the system. You just won't have the anti lock capacity of your brakes. It could be a bit of gunk getting between the sensor and ring gear on one of the wheels, a wire getting cut from road debris, or just a plain ol' sensor failure. I would highly recommend getting an OBD II scanner for your coach, so you can pull codes when the check engine or ABS lights come on. It will give you an avenue of where to look for the fault.

2011 Hyundai Accent SE (8k)
1996 Tiffin Allegro Bay 31' ga$$er motorhome (42k)
Bear, my four legged, furry companion.
RVing is an obsession more expensive than drugs.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/10 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfman01 wrote:

There is no danger in driving with the ABS light lit. It is telling you that it has logged a fault with the system. You just won't have the anti lock capacity of your brakes. It could be a bit of gunk getting between the sensor and ring gear on one of the wheels, a wire getting cut from road debris, or just a plain ol' sensor failure. I would highly recommend getting an OBD II scanner for your coach, so you can pull codes when the check engine or ABS lights come on. It will give you an avenue of where to look for the fault.

Save this explanation. It is right on.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/10 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would drive it the 500 miles to your service center. The ABS light means there is a problem and that you now don't have ABS brakes, but your regular brakes will still work. Myself I would not have a problem with no ABS in the summer time, no snow or ice, and I have driven many years without ABS in the years before they were invented and maybe you have also. I have a different MH than you do and I had the ABS light come on. I removed all the sensors one at a time and cleaned them with a spray brake cleaner, they were dirty, and then reinstalled them with a light coat of litium grease and the light went out and has been out for more than 2 years. I now clean my ABS sensors as part of my yearly maintenance. SO I would not hesitate to drive on. Just my opinion and offered as such.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

klm

SIOUX FALLS, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/10 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys have given me peace of mind, thank you. I am sooooooooooo not qualified in engine knowledge - but I'm feeling a little proud of myself - I did figure it was a sensor - just didn't know impact driving would have - I will continue on to my service center - I have an app't for the exhaust system repair - I'll just add this to my fix-it list!!!! OP, Kathy

Jerry B

Lake of the Ozarks

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/10 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put a piece of black tape over the light.

Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/10 04:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An OBDII scanner will not bring up ABS codes.

2Divers

Lakeland, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/10 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Kathy, you have some good replys. In my coach's left front service bay I actually have a switch labeled ABS. It is a lighted switch that will give a "blink" code which will determine which wheel or ABS circuit has the fault. You may have something similar. If the mech finds dirty sensor, I would have them all cleaned.

Stay safe as always,

Bill

Bill (Driver)
BUCS (SCW) USNR Ret.
Helen (Navigator)

Furry Kitty Kids
Linus "Mr. Jealous" Lucy "The Queen" Peaches "I'm so Shy"

2000 Country Coach Magna 40

Moxy

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/10 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can only pass on my experience with the ABS system on my 00 HR Amabssador with 4 wheel disc, the previous owner indicated to me that he had an incident prior to me purchasing the coach, he had neglected to activate the exhaust brake, ended up panicking and using the service brakes for an extended period. The ABS light came on and was that way when I purchased the coach, finally last week I got around to problem solving, as it turns out the heat caused the sensor (wabsco) to get hot to the point the plastic inside the metal sleeve begins to melt, this caused a release of fumes which push the sensor out of the tube away from the toothwheel, extreme heat in my situation actually pushed the sensor completely out of the r/s housing and partially out of the l/s housing, I replaced both sensors in about 10 minutes, local heavy truck centre had them at $75.00 each, solved the problem and the light is out.

Good Luck

Clay L

Palisade CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/10 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

An OBDII scanner will not bring up ABS codes.

And I don't think the diesel engine has an ODB connector. Don't most big diesels use the CAN bus instead?

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> ABS light - need your help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS