Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Which Ford Drivetrain is More Reliable?

Posted By: OregonCoast on 08/16/10 07:47pm

I'm looking at getting a used Class C, Ford motorhome and want to know which drivetrain would be more reliable between their late 460's and early V-10's. I'm looking at years between 1990-2000. I would prefer to get a newer model with their improved P.I. heads but my budget is under $20K and I won't find a rig with the better heads for under that amount.
Thanks, Mark

Posted By: Golden_HVAC on 08/17/10 02:26am

I wanted to buy a 460" V8, so bought a new 97 before the new ones came out. Later I found out that they improved the chassis a lot, not just putting in a smaller 6.8L engine. The 460" is 7.5L and very reliable, proven engine since the 1960's when it was first used in Lincolns.

First big improvement to the engine was getting rid of the cast iron exhaust manifold with stainless Banks Headers. Others make a similar system, for less money.

Good Luck,

Fred.

Posted By: carringb on 08/17/10 08:45am

The V10 is far more reliable.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 385,000 miles
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)

Posted By: dicknellen on 08/17/10 03:11pm

I had a mid 90's E-350 with the 460 V8 and a 2002 chassis & now a 2003 chassis E-450's both with V10 and the 460 V8 on a E350 chassis was a piece of junk. Love the E-450's with V10. If you keep looking and also check rental MH sales you may find a newer one you can afford.

Posted By: mobilefleet on 08/17/10 05:41am

IMO 460 is junk, I've replaced plenty of fuel pumps and electronics on these on the side of the road, they break down more when hot in summer. Pickup coil in distributor goes bad frequently. V10 has the plug issue but other than that they run very quiet and have plenty of power. I will get a V10 when I buy a MH

Posted By: TyroneandGladys on 08/17/10 05:54am

mobilefleet wrote:

IMO 460 is junk, I've replaced plenty of fuel pumps and electronics on these on the side of the road, they break down more when hot in summer. Pickup coil in distributor goes bad frequently. V10 has the plug issue but other than that they run very quiet and have plenty of power. I will get a V10 when I buy a MH

But if the fuel pump is in the tank it would it not be the same?

Tyrone & Gladys
26' 1986 Coachmen

Posted By: Stennis on 08/19/10 10:39pm

Do not wish to get into a debate about 460 or 460 vs. V-10 but I do wish to comment on something very much related. We had a Winnebago Brave with 460. Nothing fancy but perhaps the unit we liked most.

This unit burned to the ground parked under its cover. We had been out to a ball game. The fan on the heater broke. After parked at the house, for some reason, I decided to go out and check it again. About thirty minutes later a neighbor rushed in saying the RV was on fire. At that point the fire was still in the front of the RV. The fire marshall concluded that it was electrical and started under the dash (what he was). I assumed it had something to do with me messing with the blower switch but someone later told me there was a recall on the ignition.

The first lesson is that I should not have kept messing with the blower switch - just got it fixed. The second lesson is that one should check for recalls on any unit (I do not know if they existed - did not matter after it burned). The fact is that the ignition switch was not working properly. Sometimes it did not engage the starter - might have to try 3-4 times. I should have had it fixed.

I do not mean to put down Ford and 460's. I liked the 460 and, if still available, would purchase another in a heartbeat. However, I am suggesting checking recalls and getting ignition and blower switches fixed promptly on any unit.

Understand this is not just a Ford problem. I have had a bad Jeep switch and I cannot tell you how many GM's.

As for the V-10, I have one and like it.

Posted By: carringb on 08/17/10 05:54pm

The chassis improvements with the V10 is mainly capacity.... 14,050 GVWR instead of 11,500 GVWR (often uprated by RV makers to 12,500). The V10 also comes paired with Disc brakes. The higher GVWR is a result of larger frame rails, larger rear axle, larger brakes, and higher brake fluid pressure.

The 4R100 transmission came out in '99 with the V10. The PI heads came out in '00.

The 5R110 came out in 2005.

Posted By: j-d on 08/17/10 04:48pm

Personally, I have no complaints about 460. Probably rather have late 460 than early V10. BUT!!! The engine's bolted to a transmission. The progression from E4OD through 4R100 to TorqShift/5R115 favors going as late as you can to get a more current transmission.

God Bless, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100

Posted By: Godsey97 on 08/17/10 09:38pm

Got a V10 in the MH and love it. At work I USED to drive a 1997 Ford E350 van that was cobbled together to be a make shift Evidence Technicians truck. It had the V10 and while it would not push the plugs out of the manifold, it would leak radiator fluid. When it did it would follow the hoses and wires around until it dripped on the coil pack sitting on the #10 cylinder. Had to have several replaced until they stopped replacing them, never did fix that slow leak..LOL

My dad used to have nothing but Lincolns. He favored the 1969 Continentals. They all had 460's in them. We still joke about them. It is not uncommon for us to be going down the road and he start looking around and say.."This place looks familiar, I think I was broke down here once"!

How in the world could an internal combustion engine not get better as time and knowledge evolves.

Some times the good old days were not all that good!

Posted By: OregonCoast on 08/17/10 03:35pm

Golden_HVAC wrote:

I wanted to buy a 460" V8, so bought a new 97 before the new ones came out. Later I found out that they improved the chassis a lot, not just putting in a smaller 6.8L engine. The 460" is 7.5L and very reliable, proven engine since the 1960's when it was first used in Lincolns.

First big improvement to the engine was getting rid of the cast iron exhaust manifold with stainless Banks Headers. Others make a similar system, for less money.

Good Luck,

Fred.

What were the chassis improvements?

Posted By: OregonCoast on 08/17/10 03:41pm

I believe Ford started putting V-10's in their Motorhome Chassis in 1997. What year did they come out with the PI (Performance Improved) heads for their Motorhome Chassis?

Posted By: OregonCoast on 08/17/10 05:00pm

j-d wrote:

Personally, I have no complaints about 460. Probably rather have late 460 than early V10. BUT!!! The engine's bolted to a transmission. The progression from E4OD through 4R100 to TorqShift/5R115 favors going as late as you can to get a more current transmission.

Thanks. I didn't give as much thought about the transmissions. With their V-10 engines, what years did they make changes to their transmissions?

Posted By: OregonCoast on 08/17/10 06:38pm

Bryan, thanks for the great info! Let me know if you hear of any good deals on a Class C in your area. I'm located in Florence.
Thanks again, Mark

carringb wrote:

The chassis improvements with the V10 is mainly capacity.... 14,050 GVWR instead of 11,500 GVWR (often uprated by RV makers to 12,500). The V10 also comes paired with Disc brakes. The higher GVWR is a result of larger frame rails, larger rear axle, larger brakes, and higher brake fluid pressure.

The 4R100 transmission came out in '99 with the V10. The PI heads came out in '00.

The 5R110 came out in 2005.

Posted By: Lancester on 08/20/10 09:54am

I own a '97 four winds with the 7.3 power stroke & love it. If I were you, I would consider getting the diesel....

Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart.....

Print  |  Close