RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dune Sport Toyhauler - the good, bad and ugly?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Dune Sport Toyhauler - the good, bad and ugly?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/10 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EDIT: I've done some cleanup and will reopen this thread. Just a couple of items to point out first.

LILPUNKY: I'm sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with your rig. We've all been there at one time or another and we all know that it stinks. My heart goes out to you. Unfortunately, this forum isn't the place to resolve your complaint. I don't have any advice for you. I only ask that you don't post about your problem here.

garyhartaz: You've made your point very clear. Please leave it at that. Howie (Racorman) is a very respected member of this forum and has been around the block more than just a time or two. Howie is extremely handy (his trailer mods are the reason I created the Modifications & Accessories forum). I trust his DIY skills enough that I'm confident he'll thoroughly check out his rig and he's savvy enough that I doubt he'll get screwed in the deal. But as I said, you made your point very clear. Let's please consider your input on this topic finished.

MORE EDIT: More posts & more deletes. Let's call this one "done". I'm closing it again, for good this time.

* This post was edited 09/16/10 02:49pm by dedmiston *

2004.5 Dodge 2500 Diesel • 2005 Weekend Warrior FS2600 • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Yamaha TT-R90E
The Edmistons - Our Gallery

Never forget 9-11-01 Check out our blogs @ blog.rv.net

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/10 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forum Rules wrote:

Posts are not allowed in which a local, state, or federal consumer action board and/or legal counsel is/have been involved. This includes posts related to future, ongoing or past lawsuits.

* This post was last edited 09/16/10 04:39pm by dedmiston *   View edit history

jeffws

Ladera Ranch CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/10 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Sandman wrote:

a quick look at the picture above and I noticed that the stove/oven is hanging out about 2" from the cabinets. Not a good sign IMHO.

Good eye......

00 FLHR
03 XR 50
05 CRF 70
03 XR 80
05 CRF 230F

06 Yamaha Rhino
06 KTM 525 EXC

05 F-250 CC,4X4,6.0 PSD
06 Gearbox 295FS
05 Carson 7x10

Mr. Sandman

Corona, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/10 09:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have an opinion one way or another on this brand but a quick look at the picture above and I noticed that the stove/oven is hanging out about 2" from the cabinets. Not a good sign IMHO.

Tow Vehicle - 2004 Ford F350 PSD 4x4
Hauler - 2006 Weekend Warrior LE3505
Toys - 2009 Polaris RZR LE, 1985 ATC 250R,
2006 Raptor 350, 2008 Raptor 250
2003 Raptor 80, 1999 Yamaha PW50

digital_art

oc, california

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/10 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

quick question - are these issues having to do with their 'Firestorm' units only? has anyone bought one of their 'Monsoon' trailers? i wonder what happened to that line.

garyhartaz

Scottsdale, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/10 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr. Sandman wrote:

I don't have an opinion one way or another on this brand but a quick look at the picture above and I noticed that the stove/oven is hanging out about 2" from the cabinets. Not a good sign IMHO.

Exactly. It's these things that sent me and my money elsewhere

What's work? Oh, playing in the sand in the Southwest!
You can find us hanging in our Jayco T 24 ZX or out riding.

Racorman

Santa Cruz, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/10 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyhartaz wrote:

Not to nit-pick but did you get to go inside each and every one on the lot there for inspection or only the 2-3 around the side-door entrance?

Did you pull a drawer out on those cheap rails? They showed you the unit with the "range hood" which I still laugh at because it is nothing but extra weight.
Speaking of the weight, that stainless steel sink is just another example of waste. I believe the other poster here can attest to the huge difference in his delivered weight.

Oh, did they mention that the Onan is not mounted with the recommended clearences? The sides should have a minimum of 6.4in including the backside. The top should have a minimum of 12.5in. The front, if covered by a panel should have .25 in air inlets directly in line with the cover air inlets. On another forum, a owner of one of these Dune contraptions cannot run his Onan when the outside temp is over 90 because it has an auto-shut off to prevent overheating and guess why........

C'mon, hydrualic and hand crank beds. Did you see the unit with the foot and a half entry in to the "queen" bed? I'm wondering if they showed you something that was ultra special order because the stock stuff they had available certainly isn't what you are describing. Maybe their inspection/on-site delivery repair process is that good.

Like I said, there is unit for everyone.....at least you shouldn't be shocked if your milage varies upon your delivery and we look forward to your review.

Yes, I did go inside more than "2-3" and I'm not in trying to have a pissing contest with you, I'm just stating what I saw. I wonder if the other forum fella with the generator problem ever approached DS to fix the problem? My WW's also had inexpensive draw rails as do a majority of TH's. If you want the expensive stuff, be prepared to pay for it. If your truck can't spare the power to pull a stainless steel sink, then you have problems. My personal choice is stainless steel over plastic. As you stated, there is a unit for everyone.
No, the DS is not a Fusion....... and I know the difference, as you do. Congrats, I see you purchased a brand new 2010 Jayco Octane ZX. Welcome to rv.net

* This post was last edited 09/15/10 11:45pm by Racorman *   View edit history

AKA..... 56Nomad
2008 Lance Camper 1055
2002 Chevy 1 Ton Duramax/Allison 4x4 -Edge w/Juice and 4" Exhaust
2013 Jeep 2dr Wrangler

Chain_dogg

Hoolie Member #19

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/10 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Racorman wrote:

Hi Gary,

Last week in Mammoth, Chain Dog came up in his WW3305 and seeing it, in some way's I miss it....

I think that was the first time i ever seen anyone hug my Trailer.

Always Good to see ya Howie !

08 F-450 Powerstroke
05 Weekend Warrior LE 3305
06 Yamaha Rhino
06 TRX 450R
06 CRF 450
05 KX 250
08 Harley (Street Glide )
Little red Wagon

digital_art

oc, california

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/10 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pissing contests are fun, just don't cross paths. there will always be a good and bad to everything. maybe Chance had a discussion with his manufacturer about the quality of the build and not to cut corners in a rush. it's forgotten that this is not your luxury style toyhauler with all the bells and whistles. this is a toyhauler to haul your toys and camp in, and towable with a v6 (in most cases). and lastly, as is the motto in any kind of product/service transaction - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. it's like paying $10K for a corvette and finding out it has no LS6 engine.

garyhartaz

Scottsdale, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/10 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the build point, here is my issue with the stock and build-to-order that they offer:

Starting with the sink area and moving through it:

1) The "service access" is that tiny 12x12 door.
2) Sink physically touches the stove top.
3) Face of cabinet below sink has horrible stain patch.
4) A stove top with no cover/protection. Guess that's smart.
5) The stove isn't even worth the weight.
6) What's with the non-recessed 110 outlets in their build? "Wall Warts" everywhere.
7) My favorite and what I even noticed in the unit the showed me are the unlevel travel straps for the furniture. You know a level costs nothing and it really makes a big visual difference when things are level. In this case, the manufacturer is just lazy cause they know they can rely on the adjusting strap buckle.

While these may be little details to some, to others it is quite concerning, like me. None of the windows on the unit I looked at are UV coated so I guess they took that money and put it in the stainless steel sink....nice trade-off.

I like the comment the other poster made about the vette engine. Certainly applies here IMHO.

I really hope you share your experience when you take delivery and that it is positive. I know it is hard for new companies to get in a crowded market but they have to build this as good, if not better, to break through.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Dune Sport Toyhauler - the good, bad and ugly?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS