|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Rockrat

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/10 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm considering purchasing a 1988 Ford Falcon van which I'm having checked by a Ford mechanic tomorrow. My question is about the couch which folds out for a bed: the backrest flips over to widen the bed, but when in place it does not sit flush with the couch seat and both the backrest and the couch seat sit angled like an inverted "v". Is this the way it's supposed to be, or is the bed supposed to be flat?

ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/10 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty much that's the way it is. Not too uncomfortable when you lay down initially but you'll wake up in the middle of the night after the cushions have bottomed out and wonder why you bought the thing. We put up with it for years until we installed a piece of memory foam on top which lays a few inches past the bed and touching the cabinet and the refrigerator next to it. Everything was okay after that and the useable surface of the bed was also greater. Wondered why we didn't do it earlier.

deltamaster

Hilton Head Island, SC

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/10 01:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

romore wrote:

What is an 88 Ford Falcon?

I thought the Falcon line was discontinued in the early 70's.

I also thought the Falcon Van series was converted over to the Econoline series (in the early 70's)which eventually became the "E" series vans (in the mid to late 80's) we know today.

So my question to the OP is:

Is this a foreign (non-US) model?

I ride it like I stole it!
.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/10 04:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I thought the Falcon line was discontinued in the early 70's.

I also thought the Falcon Van series was converted over to the Econoline series (in the early 70's)which eventually became the "E" series vans (in the mid to late 80's) we know today.

So my question to the OP is:

Is this a foreign (non-US) model?

Unless the poster made a mistake with the date, the only 1988 Ford Falcon is Australian. Very different to the US Falcons of the 1970's

romore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/10 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is an 88 Ford Falcon?

Rockrat

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/10 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, ernie1. I appreciate your suggestion. I'm having an RV shop do a service check after the Ford mechanic checks it out. I'll let you know if he has any other ideas.

J.Wook

Front Royal, VA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/10 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rockrat,

The couch on my '89 Falcon folds "almost flat" with just a slight upward incline on the backrest side. Marilyn sent me to Bed Bath & Beyond to find a "crack filler" piece of shaped foam that rolls over the crack to smooth it out...it works and we are happy with the couch. The filler foam (meant to join two twin-sized beds into one) rolls up into a 4" x 14" bundle which we stow up in the unused overhead. You might check the ends of the legs on the couch backrest to see if some previous owner has installed tips on them which raise the backrest too high when in the down position, or even remove them if that might bring the backrest to level. Watch for pinched fingers!!!

If you send me a PM with your e-mail address, I'll send you a generic but useful manual for the van. The manual is rather long (42 pages or so) but you may find it helpful.

On edit, if your backrest slants "downward", just put caps and or chair leg coasters under the legs. We use them to keep from damaging the carpet.

John

John & Waltraud
1989 Class B InterVec Falcon 190 SLF (Ford E-250, 351 cid) "Wagon Lit"
backup is '81 Jeep Scrambler
starting point: Northern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

rufcut

dawson

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/10 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This, although probably not a 4x4.

Terra-Sea

Pacific NW

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/10 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first class B was a similar one and we hated the drive. White knuckle. I don't have that experience with my Dodge van. Be sure to drive it on the freeway, next to some trucks.

1991 Dodge Ram 250 Turtle Top (aka Turdle)

Rockrat

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/10 05:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Ford camper van I'm considering is a 1988 Ford Econoline 250 chassis with an InterVec Falcon camper conversion. I'm still concerned that the couch doesn't lay flat when converted to a bed, but I'll have that issue addressed tomorrow at the RV service shop. I'm also looking for an Owner's Manual for the camper; anyone know of a source? Thanks, all.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS