RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Avion camper rebuilds - hundreds of photos

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion camper rebuilds - hundreds of photos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 274  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/11 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our plan is to use a system approach: first will be the water with a new water heater, replaced pipes, and continuing onto the bathroom with the toilets, showers, holding tanks. If everything checks out in a "wet" run, then its onto the electricity, solar and wiring....then propane. Surely not in that order, but you get the idea.

First it has to dry - dry - dry. Fans run in there and we make small inspection holes searching for water. In the past we had made a number of repairs to the wings, tie downs and to the cabover section. The cabover floor that supports the mattress was part of the Zolatone paint job, and its looking good. By the way Zolatone is one tough paint to apply. Our paint shop messed up two attempts before they got a good application. The paint is sort of like butter milk. It was the original paint for many interiors in Airstreams and Avions. Nowadays its used in the trunks of cars - a very hard setting paint with little squiggles that mask dirt and gouges. But my experience sure put it to the test. And its great!

garryk6

Kodiak, AK

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/11 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I plan on checking all my wiring first, and duoble checking for any leaks before I start adding anything else, because if I have to pull any skin from the inside, I don't want to be reworking the work over again...

I see that your water fills from the front left of the camper. My fill spout is on the Left side of the camper under the window, and is the cast aluminum with the sealing cap and Air-chuck type fitting to pressurize the water tank with air... I'll be finding a tank like yours, and going to the pump.

Sounds like your plan is pretty good though!
Garry

Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

Super_Dave

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/11 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're a better man than me. I would have been looking for the insurance money to put down on something new.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Camper: 2007 Eagle Cap 850
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

garryk6

Kodiak, AK

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/11 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us guys that love old things, these campers are just so-well built, that the scream out to be renovated and saved. The Aircraft quiality frameing and skin that have lasted this well for 45 years in my campers case, show that the newer campers will have a hard time matching the quality that these campers have. I looked long and hard at TC's to buy for my family, and finding a stripped out Avion is going to be the best, so we can build it exactly the way we want it, with the equipment we want and without the extra frills that cost weight etc. That is the draw for me, at least... any others want to weigh in? I think these things are definitely worth saving.
Garry in Kodiak, AK

67avion

Carbondale, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/11 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done a great deal of house restoration in my town. And its true that I am attached to great workmanship that has come down from the past. I am especially attached to the idea of an America that makes things....sadly something that is less true with each day that passes.

But, as I grow older I am also more and more drawn to comfort. That aching joint, that hitch in my hip when I jump down from the truck or step from a bad angle on the TC. There have been some enormous improvements since the 60s TCs. Therefore, I am very respectful of other people's choices in things like campers or other RVs. Some of the new campers, like the wonderful Chalet that's been circling the country with the Maineiacs, are very appealing. I'm sure at some point that's where me and my sweetheart will land. But, now, I want to restore a bit of American glory and go back on the road.

mountainkowboy

Socal High Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/11 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am too an "oldie lover", I looked at a few Avions and a couple of Holiday Ramblers. We would have got one if not for the east/west C/O bed that they seemed to use on all the older units. I suppose it was because the older trucks were single cabs, but both of us decided it would be a pain if one of us has to climb over the other to get out of the bedroom for any reason during the night. We are still toying with the idea of a complete gutting and redesign of the S&S's interior. We will try the stock setup for awhile before we make our final call.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Hanna...R.I.P. Dixie we miss you
88 Ford F250-94 Alpenlite 29RK DL
96 Kawi Voyager XII 89K and climbing
71 VW Cabriolet-German Look

Canned Ham

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/11 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

67avion wrote:

I don't want to clog up the forum with too many posts and try people's patience, however.

67avion wrote:

Thanks for the kind words Canned Ham. When I got my gutted Avion a few weeks ago, I have been searching for restoration pics and tips, and there are only two places that have any pics at all, and one of those places is here. I could not believe the interest I got in the camper just carrying it from Anchorage to Homer AK, and then getting on the ferry back to Kodiak. People really like to see these old campers. and in the 60+ mph winds in the Turnagain Arm area of Anchorage, we felt very safe and stable, even being a 10'3" camper on a Short Box Super Duty, so I hope that these threads might encourage others to rescue some more of these neat old campers.
Thanks again!
Garry in Kodiak, AK

Please be sure to clog this thread with lots of pictures of the progress!

2002 4x4 Dodge DRW Lariat SLT Quad cab
5.9 Turbo Diesel
6-speed manual transmission
with some kind of exhaust(?) brake

...but something's missing...

mountainkowboy

Socal High Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/11 11:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clog the thread up......we like pics!

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/11 01:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to see it so clogged that a platoon of marines armed with plungers couldn't get it unstopped .

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

computerbug

Sarasota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/11 02:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with Canned Ham. I love the restoration project they almost get me fired up to finish mine. Clog away. Cathie

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 274  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Avion camper rebuilds - hundreds of photos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS