RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What's the deal with Dawn cleaner solution?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What's the deal with Dawn cleaner solution?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Denman

Where My Trailer's At

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/11 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JJBIRISH wrote:

Denman wrote:

Thanks for all the replies folks, ... lots to consider but my roof has looked after itself for its first ten years with no leaks (having been a rental unit, then belonged to an old guy who would never use a ladder). It has no leaks despite its time in the Alberta sun. What I'll do is have a good squint from a ladder and see if there's any splits or separations and just keep scrubbing the sides. I have some Dawn and will see how it does there. I posted this on my 5th wheel forum but I guess many of our roofs are of the same materials. Good thing the search function works!!

Dare I ask…

what was the propose of the thread???

Why solicit other peoples time when based on you response you never had a need for or intended to use the information or opinions given???

I don’t get it…

Well perhaps you'll get this, since your reading of the thread didn't do it: the opinion I chose was one of keeping ones feet off the roof since they (roofs) are quite durable. My question about Dawn cleaner was adequately answered, and I thanked those who contributed usefully. And to those, thanks again.

25'Frontier pulled by my Diesel Dodge D350.
::Located anywhere in North America::
"Retirement Has Its Privileges"
http://s1034.photobucket.com/albums/a429........r/?action=view¤t=TlrInCalgary3.jpg

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/11 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Denman

Your question was about dawn and EPDM rubber roof cleaning…

With the follow up that your roof takes care of itself and you will just give it a look see… all well and good… you did thank people for their response which is more than many do, and that is appreciated…

But if you are asking about dawn on the sides the answers given might have been different…

Dawn is a recommended product for the roof, but it is not recommended for the side… as a consequence of using it on the rood they also recommend wetting the sides and plenty of rinsing…

it is not recommended for the sides normally… but not because it will hurt the sides but because it will remove the wax that is hard and time consuming to redo…
Some wax mfg’s recommend using it to remove old wax before reapplying a new coat of wax…

Others have clamed it can cause minor damage to painted finishes but I doubt that is true… I don’t know…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Denman

Where My Trailer's At

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/11 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JJBIRISH wrote:

Denman

Your question was about dawn and EPDM rubber roof cleaning…

With the follow up that your roof takes care of itself and you will just give it a look see… all well and good… you did thank people for their response which is more than many do, and that is appreciated…

But if you are asking about dawn on the sides the answers given might have been different…

Dawn is a recommended product for the roof, but it is not recommended for the side… as a consequence of using it on the rood they also recommend wetting the sides and plenty of rinsing…

it is not recommended for the sides normally… but not because it will hurt the sides but because it will remove the wax that is hard and time consuming to redo…
Some wax mfg’s recommend using it to remove old wax before reapplying a new coat of wax…

Others have clamed it can cause minor damage to painted finishes but I doubt that is true… I don’t know…

Hey JJBIRISH thanks for that. That being the rest of the story on Dawn I think I'll leave it beside the sink where I found it. We have some real good RV dealers in the area so I'll see if they stock a "wash and wax" system I can use. Given what I know of the history of my unit (I got it late last summer) I highly doubt it's ever had any wax applied to the siding. That being the case I bet a decent wax finish might discourage further streaking.

therink

Rochester

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/11 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what its worth, I just finished washing my roof. With Dawn.

Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel (12,280 lbs loaded)
2012 Silverado 3500HD, SRW, LTZ, 4x4, Z71, Crew, 6.0 Gasser, 4:10 Axle, Standard bed

"These days, I have problems in areas that I used to not have areas", so life is good.

L.D.

Greenwood, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/11 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure about Dawn detergent being good for RV roofs. I never used it for such. However I just got some new dentures and the dentist told me to brush my dentures with a soft brush and use Dawn dish detergent.

Maybe it is a multi use item.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 12 muscles to smile but only 2 muscles to pull the trigger on a Colt 1911. Well I am old, lazy and tired of smiling.

connex

us

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/11 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

L.D. wrote:

Not sure about Dawn detergent being good for RV roofs. I never used it for such. However I just got some new dentures and the dentist told me to brush my dentures with a soft brush and use Dawn dish detergent.

Maybe it is a multi use item.
R.o.t.f.l.m.a.o Now that's funny

LoudRam

Williamstown, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/11 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Denman wrote:

We have some real good RV dealers in the area so I'll see if they stock a "wash and wax" system I can use. Given what I know of the history of my unit (I got it late last summer) I highly doubt it's ever had any wax applied to the siding. That being the case I bet a decent wax finish might discourage further streaking.

Check out Walmart first. That's where I get my rv cleaning supplies including rv wash and wax and rubber roof cleaner and conditioner.

Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2008 Forest River Salem LE 29FLSS
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 w/360 (not stock)
Predator DX2 brake controller
Equalizer Hitch

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet

daytona7

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/12 03:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got a few questions on a subject that has been mentioned numerous time in this post. What is the best way to remove oxidation from the fibergalss? Also, what is the best way to remove the adhesive from decals that have the vinyl flaking off?
1----- I have tried just about every Meguiar's Marine compound, with and without a orbital buffer. Still can not get a good shine.
2----- I have heard that you can use Lacquer thinner to remove the adhesive.

therink

Rochester

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/12 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goo-gone works for me on most adhesives.

wbrown62

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/12 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

connex wrote:

Heres the deal people every time you feel the need to go on the roof and clean that chalky residue of your roof so that I don't know the birds can see a clean roof.. Thats just another couple of thousands of the EPDM you just scrubbed of your roof... And you keep doing it until one day you see the black showing threw the membrane.. @ that point the birds should congratulate you as you are know half through the membrane... So you stroll on down to the local RV repair facility and the same people that have been spreading the propaganda that you should clean your roof once a year and low and behold they tell you that you need a roof... Oh how could that be I maintained it exactly as you and the manufacturer told me to for crying out loud.. People just Leave your roof alone chalky is a natural process of EPDM and UV all you kneed to do is maintain all the cut openings in the roof make the birds happy when they buy you the RV>>

rolnhome wrote:

Here is a good artical on cleaning and protecting your roof.
rv roof cleaning

Just curious connex. Where do you get your information? The article referenced by rolnhome seems pretty definitive to me. I'm not being fececious, I just really want to do the right thing for my roof.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What's the deal with Dawn cleaner solution?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS