|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Brought my WW home, now the genset doesn't start

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
blu_by_u

NE Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/11 09:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brought my 2007 WW FSC2800 home tonight and I couldn't get the generator to restart after I had it running for a minute and then shut it off. I only shut it off because I remembered that I had forgot to plug the trailer into the generator. I just felt better safe than sorry if I accidentally touched one of the prongs while plugging it in. After I plugged the trailer into the generator, I couldn't get it to start.

Here is some important (or not) info on the generator: according to the hour meter it has 2.1 hours on it (not good, I know), I had them change the oil (verified), it ran at least an hour at their shop before I got there. I saw it run some, it ran very rough at first, then a tech made some adjustments and it was smooth as silk. It's an Onan 5500 watt.

I expect that the gas is bad and the carb is gummed up. How hard is it to rebuild a carb on these things? Can I just buy a kit and do it if I have never rebuilt a carb before? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I do hate carbs (but I'm willing to learn I guess).

I also have a question on the WD hitch. The 14k Equalizer hadn't arrived yet, so they let me take it home with the 12k hitch and if I still wanted the 14k I could come back and get it. (Very nice if you ask me) I've never towed anything this heavy with my truck before. Some of the highways and interstates were extremely rough and the truck bounced bad enough that we could barely talk. I noticed later that the front of the truck was higher than the rear. Is that normal with a WD hitch? Do I need to make some adjustments?

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4 (TV)
2006 Jeep Commander (not a TV)
2010 VW Jetta TDI
2004 Arctic Cat 650 Vtwin 4x4
2003 Arctic Cat 250 4x2
2007 Weekend Warrior FSC 2800

blu_by_u

NE Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/11 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a picture I took when I stopped on the way home!

4*phun*2

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/11 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would run some Sea Foam thru it if you can get it started.

A little Quik Start. Don't put any load on it until the Seafoam has had a chance to work through the carb.

Glenn & Karen
'08 Chevy LT 3500 HD 4x4 CC LB DRW (nice hips)
'06 F350 4X4 Lariat CC LB DRW (nice hips) retired
'09 Victory Lane 38SRV Toy Hauler
'02 HD Road King FLHRCI KRUZN
'04 F150 XLT Super Crew
Our Toys

lincster

Mesa Az

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/11 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably going to have to replace the carb. There is no rebuild kit for it. Sea Foam might work, but most guys have had to replace the carb.

You are going to need more than the 14k Equalizer with that trailer. Your tongue weight is closer to 1500-1600lbs empty. That is the problem with those dual axle Warriors, they have really heavy tongue weights.

My buddy has a 2002 FS2600 and has 1700lbs of tongue weight with an empty trailer. I have a tongue weight scale and we measured it in different configurations.

I owned a 2004 FS3000, triple axle, and my tongue weight was 1400lbs with no water or toys.

If you have the stock receiver on your truck, you will want to get a more heavy duty one as well.
You can get a Putnam WD hitch rated to 1500lbs, but the better system is the Reese, rated at 1700lbs. It is a true 2.5" WD system and is very stout.

2012 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

fly-boy

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/11 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1) Get as much of the old gasoline out of the tank as you can- I would just unhook the fuel line into the carb and run it into a fuel can. You can get the fuel pump to prime by simply pushing the start button (the one on the gennie) down at the bottom of the start button.

2) Refill the entire tank with new fuel and add some fuel stabilizer.

2) Replace the fuel filters- there are two! One is located right before the carb and one is located before the fuel gets to the gennie.

3) Buy a new carb (about $180.00). It takes less than 10 minutes to remove and install the new unit.

4) Crack a cold one and enjoy the sound of a humming generator.

2012 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax 4x4
2009 WW HKD with a big garage
A few toys

lincster

Mesa Az

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/11 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In regards to the fuel filters fly-boy mentions, there is a TSB out that eliminates the filter going right into the carb. There is a replacement part you buy from Onan to go in place of the fuel filter. So, you should have a fuel filter coming out of the tank and then one that connects to the fuel pump.

smknf250

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/11 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally people always replace the carb however I can tell you I have taken mine apart twice and cleaned it well and solved the problem both times. With all of the carbs I have fixed over the years its hard for me to believe you have to buy a new one and throw the old one away. The easiest thing you can start out with if you don't want to get to far into it is remove the solenoid off the bottom of the bowl and make sure when power is applied to it you can see if cycle up and down...spray some carb cleaner on it and continue cycling it. That has solved a lot of problems for a lot of people as well as that allows fuel to drain and get fresh fuel in there. After that you can try and re start it and you may have problem solved. There is also a jet if you take your air filter off you can spray some carb cleaner in there and try and run it. Again if that jet is your problem you may be able to fix it without removing anything.

cwill925

Murfreesboro TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/11 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently suffered a gummed carb on my Onan 5500. I refused to buy a new one. I took the carb off and stripped as much of it apart as possible, couldn’t get the jets out. I bought a gallon can of Berrymans’ Chem-Dip Carburetor and Parts Cleaner from a local auto parts store and let her soak for 3 days (probably 2 days more than it needed). Make sure all removable parts are removed and do not soak anything plastic in the Chem-Dip. When the carb came out of the dip, she was shinny and clean. A quick re-assemble and re-mount, the Onan fired right up and ran smooth. $20 for the Chem-Dip beats the price of a new carb any day. Since my Onan carb cleaning, I’ve cleaned lawn mower and motorcycle carbs. Good stuff…

BTW, Now, I never add a drop of gas to the generator, lawn mower, pressure washer or any other gas motor without adding some kind of anti-ethanol additive. Ethanol laden gas is just nasty if it sits any length of time.

2008 Fuzion 362
2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2 Harley's, 1 Suzuki Scooter, 1 Smart Car

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/11 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have bought a carb rebuild kit from Onan at a Cummins dealer. Have you checked your fuel level? If the tank is low it will be below the pickup tube in your tank, I have to have at least a third of a tank to be able to run the generator. The Onan carb Gum's up very easily from non-use. It is not that hard to clean.

Mongo68

CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/11 12:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the oil level, low oil will make the gen not start...

2004 F350 4x4 Crew Cab PSD
2007 Weekend Warrior LE3505+6 Tiki Edition

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Brought my WW home, now the genset doesn't start
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: