|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Camp food

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
Sponsored By:
beermanjoe

Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/11 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So what is everyone eating on their adventures.Need some simple ideas. Hot dogs over the fire are really getting old.

lornaschinske

Here until we leave

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/11 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you eat at home? When David & I first started tent camping, we were going every weekend on 3 day trips. We started out with the usual grilled hamburgers, grilled steaks, grilled pork chops, grilled chicken. Then I picked up some pots and pans (nesting cookware) and a 2 burner cast iron cooktop and started making stews, spaghetti and anything thing else we came up with. When we got the pop-up, we had a 3 burner cooktop, a microwave/convection oven and a gas grill. We ate camping like we did at home. I would make Make Ahead Lasagna or Make Ahead Manicotti the night before we would go camping, pop it in the fridge, iced down and leave. When we set up, I would pop it in the oven and in an hour we would have a nice meal. Now we fulltime.

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/11 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever I feel like fixing out on the Weber grill. Unless it's to cool or wet out the DW does not do any cooking inside unless it's in the crock-pot. We like to have group pot lucks when we can since you never know what your friends are going to bring. Evening sitting around the fire with a drink is also a must from ice tea, cold beer, glass of wine or something like a Long Island ice tea.

lap527

Ocala, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/11 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a swing grill and we put it to good use. We cook steaks, pork chops, boston butt, ribs, and chicken wings over an open fire. We also use one of the pans with the holes in it and put in onions, potatoes, or whatever veggie we have and throw it on the grill too. No veggies, we just open a can of pork n beans and sit it close to the fire to warm it up. Our secret to a lot of our cooking is that we use a huge aluminum pan to cover our food so it cooks faster and we get more of the oak flavor in our food. If it is just too hot for a fire then we break out the baby Q.

2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift tiedowns, fastguns,superhitch, and truss/ 2006 Jeep Wrangler X or
14'V Nose Trailer Hauling 2014 Tri-glide Harley Davidson Or Gone Fishing - 2002 17' Carolina Skiff 75HP Yamaha 4 Stroke.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/11 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We eat pretty much the same meals we eat at home. After all you have all the same appliances to fix it on

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Escargot

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/11 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Usually a couple of evenings prior to an outing of a few to several days I'll cook extra of whatever I'm cooking for dinner that night. Put the extra in containers in the freezer or refridgerator and into the RV before I take off. Other than that, I eat the same things while camping as I do at home. I consider preparing and consuming the days' meals as another camping activity and enjoy it.

2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

Pauljdav

Everett, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/11 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ribs, pulled pork, cedar planked salmon. I use a Weber performer for as many meals as possible.

rfryer

Phoenix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/11 12:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That would get old as a steady diet. We eat most of the same meals we do at home, maybe a little simpler or less courses. My DW freezes some meals at home before we go. We eat the fresh food first, then the frozen ones. Then we’re down to canned food unless we restock. We keep pretty busy hiking and sightseeing and I can’t even remember the last time I stayed around camp all day. The point being if we’ve hiked all day my DW doesn’t look forward to cooking a 4 course meal. So we fall back on the simpler stuff, the hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.

Utahtea

San Francisco Bay Area, California

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/11 02:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Breakfast ranges from cereal (cold or hot), Cliff Bars for days on the move, and for days we plan to relax around camp, we have bacon, eggs, & hashbrowns or pancakes or egg burritos. Scrambled eggs with everything that's around like bacon or ham, onions, tomatoes, cheese, mushrooms, etc. rolled in a tortilla. Sometimes we will have breakfast for lunch or dinner.

Lunch will be tuna fish, or leftover meats in a sandwich for the days on the go. A grilled cheese sandwich is fast to make or a can of soup if it's cooler out and we are around the RV.

We like to BBQ a lot. We carry our little Weber gas BBQ and cook fresh salmon, steaks, chicken, tri-tip, ribs, turkey breast, etc. I also love to grill onions & mushrooms. Chicken or beef can be sliced and made into taco with the right fixings.

Spaghetti is a favorite because we like it cold the next day.

One of the easy meals our kids use to cook was Tuna Noodle Casserole. Package of mac and cheese, can of cream of mushroom soup, can of tuna, and frozen peas made in one pot. Chili is another one pot meal.

Utahtea

2006 Allegro DA 28

beermanjoe

Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/11 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need to get a portable gas grill.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping