RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Has anyone double towed with a Cougar High Country?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Has anyone double towed with a Cougar High Country?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/11 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

laknox wrote:

Any drilling or welding on the frame WILL void the frame warranty. Wait until that's done before doing this.

Lyle
Pull the string on this - technically it only means the warranty will not cover failure caused by your mod. And don't listen to lippert - they always default to above- your warranty is through Keystone.

When I called Komfort about putting a rack or hitch on the back of my FW, I was told that =any= modification to the frame, would void the warranty...period. No "fault-finding" involved; modification = voided frame warranty. As it was a 2-year warranty at the time (non-Lippert frame), I left it alone. Given what I know now, I should have just done it, as this frame is built hell-for-stout. I'd bet it weighs more than their largest current frame does.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 56 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/11 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too Young to Retire wrote:

I was thinking of one of these. It's not a "trailer", it connects directly to the receiver and does not pivot like a trailer. It's like an extension of the rig. Looks like a really good idea for a fiver.
cruiserlift.com

Many states still consider this a "double", and can ticket you. It =is= a grey area and, if I had one and were ticketed, I'd be inclined to fight it as there are any number of dump and cement trucks with retracting axles that are equivalent to this setup (with the exception of the retraction gear).

Lyle

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/11 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Mile High wrote:

laknox wrote:

Any drilling or welding on the frame WILL void the frame warranty. Wait until that's done before doing this.

Lyle
Pull the string on this - technically it only means the warranty will not cover failure caused by your mod. And don't listen to lippert - they always default to above- your warranty is through Keystone.

When I called Komfort about putting a rack or hitch on the back of my FW, I was told that =any= modification to the frame, would void the warranty...period. No "fault-finding" involved; modification = voided frame warranty. As it was a 2-year warranty at the time (non-Lippert frame), I left it alone. Given what I know now, I should have just done it, as this frame is built hell-for-stout. I'd bet it weighs more than their largest current frame does.

Lyle
Sorry about that - I got a different answer from Monatana. The rep even gritted his teeth when I quoted the Lippert warranty page that came with my unit that says warranty void for "any" mod including holes, etc. Teh rep said I am warranted through him, not Lippert, and he will settle with Lippert. This was to put a hitch on the back. In fact he said Montana was going to install their own hitches in 2008, regardless of what Lippert feels about it, and they did.

"By the time a man asks for advise he usually has already made up his mind and is looking for confirmation more than opinion" -Sidney Harris

LakeEffect

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/11 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sean 32

Thanks for the pictures, helpfull.....

2011 Cougar 291 High Country
2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0
2 Kayaks, 2 bikes, golf clubs and hiking shoes
Suzuki V Strom 650
Cody, Yellow Lab/Brittany mix

Curly2001

Tucson, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/11 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this is off the subject but how do you like your gas truck towing the fiver? I have the same truck and am looking at a Cougar 5th wheel that weighs in about 7200lbs.
Thanks,
Curly

2007 Chev. 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Delaine and Lindy

Linden Tn. (The View)

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/11 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seen a 5th wheel Cougar towing a boat in Colorado last week. All you Lippert basher close your eyes.. I ordered a 2010 Mobile Suites and ordered the 2" receiver option and towed a Chevy HHR for thousands of miles and all over Colorado. I have seen so many 5th wheels of all types towing all kinds of trailers and boats etc. last year and this year.. If you have the proper hitch and don't over load the tongue weight you should be fine. Just make sure the hitch is done by a Professional. Most who have never double towed will say it not legal in most States (not true) and you will void your warranty.. Just make sure to stay within your ability... Happy Trails......

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's LTZ ******Traded******
Trailer Saver Air Ride (SOLD) (Sold)

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3, with vanity slide (SOLD)

"Montana" our Sweet Furr Kid
12/21/10 "RIP" miss you!!

We are BLESSED!!!!

RedG

Fort Worth Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/11 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delaine and Lindy wrote:

Seen a 5th wheel Cougar towing a boat in Colorado last week. All you Lippert basher close your eyes.. I ordered a 2010 Mobile Suites and ordered the 2" receiver option and towed a Chevy HHR for thousands of miles and all over Colorado. I have seen so many 5th wheels of all types towing all kinds of trailers and boats etc. last year and this year.. If you have the proper hitch and don't over load the tongue weight you should be fine. Just make sure the hitch is done by a Professional. Most who have never double towed will say it not legal in most States (not true) and you will void your warranty.. Just make sure to stay within your ability... Happy Trails......

The Lippert frame under a DRV is a totally different animal.

2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 DP 370 Cummins
Towing my 2012 Malibu w/Blue Ox towbar & Patriot brake system

LakeEffect

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/11 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am very pleased with the truck. Our first trip with the Cougar was from northern Michigan to the RGV of Texas last winter. Coming home from Texas we went thru New Mexico to Denver and then home. The only mountain pass was Raton Pass on the NM/Co border and it did just fine, I can't remember what speed we dropped to, but I do remember it being better than I expected.
Typically towed at 62 mph. We are pulling about the same weight, with the 3:73 so you should be fine.

Good Luck

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/11 02:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

laknox wrote:

Mile High wrote:

laknox wrote:

Lyle

Lyle
Sorry about that - I got a different answer from Monatana. The rep even gritted his teeth when I quoted the Lippert warranty page that came with my unit that says warranty void for "any" mod including holes, etc. Teh rep said I am warranted through him, not Lippert, and he will settle with Lippert. This was to put a hitch on the back. In fact he said Montana was going to install their own hitches in 2008, regardless of what Lippert feels about it, and they did.

As I said, I went to =Komfort=, my FW's manufacturer, to ask the question, not the frame manufacturer. I was told by =Komfort= that my frame warranty would be void if I modded it. As for an RV manufacturer installing hitches at =their= factory, I'd be willing to bet that there was some extra bracing/gusseting, etc., installed along with the hitch.

Lyle

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Has anyone double towed with a Cougar High Country?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS