RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Stove Burner To Warm Up Cabin - Good Idea?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Stove Burner To Warm Up Cabin - Good Idea?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/11 09:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVUSA wrote:

So is it ok to cook a turkey for say 6 hours in the oven?

I need to see at least 15 of you lining up and stating that you crack a window every thanksgiving because that oven is deadly.

I have yet to see an oven in any RV/TT that is big enough to cook a Turkey that is sooo large it takes 6 hours.... Anytime you are cooking inside a TT you should have some source of air coming in. Keep in mind that propane produces a tremendous amount of moisture when burned. Excessive moisture inside a TT is not good and my owners manual (Fleetwood), urges ventilation whenever cooking. The other issues are the production of carbon monoxide, an odorless colorless gas that will incapacitate and then kill you which works well with the oxygen deprivation that goes with excessive combustion in an enclosed space. The warnings are not on your stove just to appease the lawyers, they are well founded based upon safety. BTW: if you ever see yellow in the flame of your stove shut it down and have it checked as it reflects incomplete (as in carbon monoxide rich), combustion. It's just not worth dying for.

John&Betty

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/11 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4huskers wrote:

Bad idea. Stove top is a very ineffectient and dangerous source for heating. Not only are the exhaust gasses dangerous, but you've got an open flame to consider too. I take it you don't have a furnance. Best bet is to go buy a small heater with the UL label on it so you are sure it's safe and read the instructions.

x2!!!!!!!!!

John & Betty
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2010 Keystone Bullet 246RBS

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/11 05:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

daveor wrote:

why not just replace the battery and run the furnace, t.
Ya, X2.

And nothing else will work either, like your refrigerator. Boondocking with a dead battery is not the greatest idea.

A minor point of order, your honor ..... The 3-way reefer that's common to almost older class B's does _not_ require 12V to run on LP. They use a manual 'clicker' ignition (piezoelectric crystal). I think they swap back and forth between full flame and pilot to control temperature. I suspect that's what in the OP's B.

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/11 10:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Would it be alright to light the stove top maybe a half an hour before going to bed then turning it off once I am inside the van

30 mins before bed with vent cracked open ?

yes you can do this ... keep the flame LOW !!!!

then turn off, close vent go to bed

whether or not its a good idea depends on how alert and safety conscience you are

an open cooking flame does not produce near as much CO as does the furnace
if it did we would all die from boiling the tea kettle or frying eggs for breakfast

what makes a burner dangerous is NOT the danger of CO
it is the danger of fire, the danger of a high flame with NO pot or pan to absorb the heat, heating up a cabinet or something nearby, the danger of forgetting it is on and having the camper catch fire

that is the danger of using the burner

i always try to be very safety conscious , but there is a lot of misinformation in this thread

about when and where CO is produced

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

pete42

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/11 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

so put a tea-kettle of water on stove see how that works.

or use a clay flower pot over the low flame it heats up and puts out heat after stove is off works well.

Ex-Tech

West

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/11 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John&Betty wrote:

4huskers wrote:

Bad idea. Stove top is a very ineffectient and dangerous source for heating. Not only are the exhaust gasses dangerous, but you've got an open flame to consider too. I take it you don't have a furnance. Best bet is to go buy a small heater with the UL label on it so you are sure it's safe and read the instructions.

x2!!!!!!!!!

Actually, a stove-top burner is 100% efficient since all of the heat produced is dispensed into the interior.

robbins1

maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/11 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't ever use my stovetop to heat my Explorer. But man on cold mornings I sure do love my coffee!! Heat lots of coffee water and warm myself up "leagally" LOL As for bedtime, hot chocolate anyone?
Seriously,no different than cooking. If your Explorer is airtight (mine isn't, being 25 years old) crack a vent or a window. Happy heating.

~~~ruth~~~

Matthew_B

The boonies near Dallas, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/11 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ex-Tech wrote:

Actually, a stove-top burner is 100% efficient since all of the heat produced is dispensed into the interior.

Except for the incomplete combustion.

It will be far more efficient than a furnace though.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/11 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago I had a boss who, during a power fail, lit the stove to keep his mobile home warm (he lived in a Trailer park) at night.

He dang near did not come in to work the next morning..... Or ever again.

That is a good way to wake up ... Dead.. Do not do it. NO IT IS NOT OK.

marielw824

Swan Valley, ID

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/11 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK ... I have NOT read the 4 pages of replies. I am SURE someone else has said this also ... it should be or at least was once CLEARLY MARKED, NOTED, and STATED 'DO NOT USE APPLIANCES FOR HEAT'. It simply is NOT a good idea. IMHO ... : ? )

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Stove Burner To Warm Up Cabin - Good Idea?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS