|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Ford Fusion towing 4-down 2010

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/11 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking of two possible problems but I basing it on that you have a supplemental brake in the Ford.

1. Limited battery capacity and the brake lights are using it up. My feed from the coach only lights a single bulb in each tail light assembly but when the brake buddy is active additional lights come on such as the rear window brake light that are not powered by the coach.

2. Bad isolation diode and power is feeding back to the coach.

Also check to ensure your supplemental brake system, if installed, is fully retracting and you're not running down the road with the toad brake lights on. Beyond that I would start pulling fuses, disconnecting the battery, or add a 12VDC feed line from the coach to the Ford.

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/11 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from class A forum

ClassAGeek

NYS

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/11 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dale.Traveling wrote:

I'm thinking of two possible problems but I basing it on that you have a supplemental brake in the Ford.

1. Limited battery capacity and the brake lights are using it up. My feed from the coach only lights a single bulb in each tail light assembly but when the brake buddy is active additional lights come on such as the rear window brake light that are not powered by the coach.

2. Bad isolation diode and power is feeding back to the coach.

Also check to ensure your supplemental brake system, if installed, is fully retracting and you're not running down the road with the toad brake lights on. Beyond that I would start pulling fuses, disconnecting the battery, or add a 12VDC feed line from the coach to the Ford.

Good suggestions.

Perhaps we can ask: Do you have diode protected light circuits? A simple test: If you press the brake pedal on the car and the coach lights change in any way, you have a diode issue.

I will add the following diagnostics:

a. Disconnect car from coach. Turn key to ACC. Let it sit overnight. If the battery is good you have confirmed there is not a fundamental problem with your car itself.

b. Connect car to coach. Turn key to ACC. Let it sit overnight. If the battery is good you have confirmed there is not a fundamental problem with the diode protected light circuits (as suggested by #2 above).

c. Disconnect car from coach. Remove key. Disconnect (+) battery terminal on car. Insert a multimeter set to DC AMPs between battery and terminal. Read current. Should be less than a few milliamps.

d. Disconnect car from coach. Turn key to ACC. Disconnect (+) battery terminal on car. Insert a multimeter set to DC AMPS between battery and terminal. Read current. Should be greater than last test but still just a few milliamps.

e. Connect car to coach. Turn key to ACC. Disconnect (+) battery terminal on car. Insert a multimeter set to DC AMPS between battery and terminal. Read current. Should be within a milliamp or two of the last reading.

One of these tests will likely fail. Let us know. The fix is generally easy once you have isolated parameters around a high current reading.

----
Happy Ford F-53 Class A Owner (2008 Gulf Stream)
2010 Ford Fusion Toad (with 6 speed manual transmission - the only way to tow)
Brake Buddy Vantage, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar,
TST RV 507 TPMS, Power Master Voltage Controller

Coach-man

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/11 01:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought I read in my owners manuel that I should start and run the engine every 4 to 6 hours when towing 4 down?

ClassAGeek

NYS

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/11 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coach-man wrote:

I thought I read in my owners manuel that I should start and run the engine every 4 to 6 hours when towing 4 down?

That step is required to keep the automatic transmission properly lubricated. Manual transmissions don't have this limitation. It is not related to problems with the battery.

gnm

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/11 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a great device to let you charge the toad battery from the rv when traveling.
My Ford Escape battery died so I made sure it wont happen again.

Toad Charge

vfrmarc

Hamburg TWP Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/11 11:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gnm wrote:

Here is a great device to let you charge the toad battery from the rv when traveling.
My Ford Escape battery died so I made sure it wont happen again.

Toad Charge

+2

Had same problem 2010 Fusion, added this product and towed 2,000 miles car started everytime. We use a Roadmaster Even Brake.

wmikeh

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/11 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the info. Will try to do some of the things suggested. Was also told that on the 7 point plug in for the coach that the center pin will keep battery charged, will find out

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Ford Fusion towing 4-down 2010
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS