|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Domain Name - What its worth

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
TCI

Everywhere. USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Morning all – Need help figuring out what my domain name might be worth. I’ve been contacted by someone again. Last year he offered me 1k and I said I wasn’t interested. Now he’s contacted me again and really wants it for a social travel network. He wants me to give him a number. I don’t want to give it away and I also don’t want to lose out if it’s really worth something. So I thought my RV community friends could give me some guidance. Thanks for the info. The name is www.awaywego.com

TCI
Our COW - Condo on Wheels
2002 29ft Cardinal 5ver
2001 Silverado 2500HD Diesel Crew LB
Sold the stick house started Fulltiming October 2006
www.awaywego.com

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/11 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, strange thing, but that is what makes this forum so great....there is always something different discussed.

I would have given away mine for the $1K....it's only a name. But, then again, it's your name, so you can offer a price that you would be happy with. Apparently, $1K wasn't enough.....would $2K be enough? Do you want a Million dollars for it (ie, it's priceless to you)....in which case, you'll probably keep it.

There are folks that "play the market", and get hundreds of Domain Names, hoping that the folks that might want them, will buy them. Depending on the size of the company or fame of the individual, you can ask what you think they will pay. A small travel company, may not have the budget for much more than the $1K, while a large corporation might pay 10 times that amount without blinking an eye.

Ultimately, it is something that you and they will have to come to an agreement on.....or not

Remember, at some point, they may just decide to rethink the whole thing, or add a letter or number to change the name, and you get nothing!.....such as "andawaywego.com"....or 2goaway.com.....I don't know if they are used, but you get my point.

Good Luck

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

awaywego.com.....that's a good one.
Hold out.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it's pretty much like most everything else: it's worth what someone is willing to pay.

Personally unless I had business ties and a really good reason to hang onto the domain name, I'd take the $1000 and never look back. JMO of course.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

GlennH

Highlands Ranch, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/11 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest deciding on your price and negotiating.

In most cases a particular business will not be interested in negotiating every few years or something. Take it while you've got the person on the line.

Our 2002 Four Winds Motorhome

imadtchmn

Macon, GA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would hold out also. Although you don't get much traffice on your site (52 visits per day average) it is enough to warrant more than you have been offered. Being a webmaster, I can see the value in your domain name.

Here is a link to help you understand how domains are valued.

Domain Values

* This post was edited 09/20/11 08:11am by imadtchmn *

1998 Chevy 6.5 TB Dually maxed out for power
2004 Dutchmen Classic 33RLK
DH George
DW Sherry
Dogs Trinket and Lady

turninghawk

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends how bad the buyer REALLY wants it. Bear in mind, if you get too greedy, you may lose him entirely as a customer (apparently your only customer for the domain name, right?).

Remember, he has other options if your price gets too high, such as .net, .org, etc. Or something like away.we.go.com, or some other configuration. It's not like it's a corporate name or anything.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you really want to sell and have a figure in mind, double it and send them a note back, "here is my figure, $Xxxx, the ball is now back in your court". I would think somewhere between $2500 and $5000 would be a fair price. I know that I would sell my domain, for a figure in that range.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Jay Pat

Round Rock, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/11 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider this,
You could see if your name as .org or .usa for whatever is available. Secure it first, then sell what they want for the bucks.
Pat

2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2011 Keystone, Sprinter 310

HobbyTalk

NFM

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/11 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sold my web site about a year ago. While it was bigger then yours (3M page views and 150K visitors per month) and made decent income there are a few ways to look at value.

First is income. Since it doesn't appear you are doing any advertising on your site, there is none. You also have to look at potential income and that has to do with traffic.

Next is traffic. Just home many page views and how many unique visitors you get. The more the better.

You have to look at Page Rank. An important part is Google Page Rank and to a lesser extent Alexa ranking. This shows how important the web site/domain name is on Google searches. High PR sites can demand a lot more money.

Then there is domain name value. This can be subjective as some names may just be a good fit for a businesses.

You also need to find out who he is representing and what the plans are for the site. Research the company, the other sites they own and what they are doing with them. This can give you an idea of the value as it fits in with their overall plans. It's also possible that if you sell it to him and they plan on keeping it a travel site that you could subcontract out to him and make some money submitting articles.

Good luck, it's tough decision. Been there, done that. It's like your baby that you've raised, your attached and it's hard to give up. But if he came back for a second try he must find some interest in it. Have no idea on the above numbers so it's hard to set a value.

Sold the RV, bought a house in North Fort Myers
tgif: let's RV - Facebook

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Domain Name - What its worth
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: