RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Feasible deal - new MH trade on new MH??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Feasible deal - new MH trade on new MH??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/11 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being as I've only ever worked one deal on a MH, wanted to run something by any of you guys that know the biz. I have a 2012 Thor Ace. Love it. Got it at a good price (65k with in motion and a dolly). Happy with the unit and we've only had it since July. Since then have put about 6k miles on it. BUT, I clued in on the new 2012 Thor Ace Evo 29.2. Pretty much the exact model except they changed the floor plan just enough to make me love the new one a bit more. These changes are the exact thing I would change about my coach if I could. Enough to make me wonder..So- my question. What do you think the odds are that my dealer will trade up for the new model (sans the dolly) for the same price? Even swap. Did he make enough profit to offset it's depreciation in 4k miles and can he get enough on a used sale to make it up, and also is there enough margin in the new unit for him to consider the deal? Anyone have any thoughts? I plan to run it by him, but thought I'd get some feedback here before I look like a fool. Thanks!

2013 ACE 29.2

Mr.Mark

California/Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/11 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Effy, it never hurts to ask. To me, it seems trading a slightly used 2012 for a brand new 2012 would hurt a lot in the wallet. But, you never know until you ask. The dealer may want to move another unit and I'm sure it's important for them to keep you as a customer.

Good luck and hope it works out.

MM.

Mr.Mark
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42.2 ft., 4 slides, 425 hp clean-air Cummins diesel
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking

Trap

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/11 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say your not gonna like what the dealer will tell, your unit is now used and no longer new, I;m betting you'd be lucky to only take a 20% hit on yours.

But it won;t hurt to try,

Trap

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/11 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The one you have is "used",can not be sold as new,never titled again.You will get hit with the depreciation which could be thousands.You might get lucky and have a good dealer that will cut you some slack,but don't hold your breath. Would you buy a "slightly used" MH with 6000 miles on it and pay a top dollar price?

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/11 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboater454 wrote:

The one you have is "used",can not be sold as new,never titled again.You will get hit with the depreciation which could be thousands.You might get lucky and have a good dealer that will cut you some slack,but don't hold your breath. Would you buy a "slightly used" MH with 6000 miles on it and pay a top dollar price?

All very good points. I will say that if I were in the market and torn between a "used" for about 60k with in motion with 6k miles, or new for 65k, I'd look hard to save 5k. I am sure the dealer not only has margin on the $65K (20% ??) but perhaps a lot of dealer incentives too on the new one. I wish I knew someone in the biz to tell me if this were a decent deal to a dealer. Some want to move new units more than they care about cash outlay on a used one. That being said, I think the figure of 20% is probably applicable when I drove off the lot. My guess would be my dealer likely bought if from the factory in the $50+k range (what I paid less 20%). I have no idea though and could be very wrong. Wish I knew.

Al's R/T

Montreal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/11 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF you were talking about a NEW 2010/11 still in stock and you would trade your 2012 at 4k miles, i guess the dealer would jump in but for 2012 to 2012, i do not think so !

You have to realize that a dealer starts paying interest at a prime rate on a new unit when he picks it up at the factory he then has to sell the unit before 364 days, after that, he has to pay the unit out of his used units credit margin, most probably at a much higher rate; buying back your unit will fall in the highest interest rate PLUS credit margin institution will not finance all of it, more like 60%, this is why the dealers are low-balling used units, at least this is how it works in Canada...

Alain from Montreal

1998 Coachmen Mirada 300QB F53 460
2001 Suzuki Vitara convertible (toad)
2010 Challenger R/T Hemi
2008 Mustang Bullitt

turninghawk

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/11 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a chance. Better bring your checkbook along if you're serious!....

tderonne

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/11 02:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not in the biz, but I've always thought the time to sell a motorhome is at within the fist year for the smallest "hit". My thinking is that bought right (i.e. a great deal) you can sell it to someone who might not fight for that same deal you got (i.e. sell it at a good deal). You almost become a broker, get paid for your buying skills. Depreciation takes over after that. How that plays out with your dealer, I don't know. But might be worth advertising yours for sale and see if you get any bites.

And I'm sorry mentioned liking the 29.2 better! I don't like the kitchen island arrangement in the 29.1 (told a Four Winds guy I know about that too, maybe he listened?). Same for you? Must be more than that? I may have to take a closer look at the 29.2 myself!

Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

hemlox

Western Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/11 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say "not going to happen".

Rockwood Signature 8318SS
Chevrolet Suburban 4x4
Reese Dual Cam WD Hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller

Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/11 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turninghawk wrote:

Not a chance. Better bring your checkbook along if you're serious!....

I hear ya. At the end of the day I am very happy with the current unit. Would only do it if it cost me nothing but time and persuasion. Made a deal similar to that on a truck, but different animal. I am in a good place in that I could take the deal or leave it. My guess would be that yes, the dealer does not want to trade out my current MH for at least what I owe and then sell it. He would rather me keep mine and he sell the new one to another customer. I have the added disadvantage that ACE's don't sit long on lots - they are actually in demand and most are ordered so it's not like he has pressure to unload it. It was just a thought. Sometimes you never know. Dealers will do some crazy dancing if they want to. He probably won't want to.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Feasible deal - new MH trade on new MH??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS