|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Surge fix on Chinese generators

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
WDP

Eastern Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/11 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced the carburetor with a non-CARB model, has a screw adjustable main jet. Works great, only cost me $27 bucks.

WDP

Greg Bunting

Port St. Lucie, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/11 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doogdoog, you have it right. I have had that happen with more generators than I care to remember, but the memories are becoming too recent with the 10% alcohol in the gas.
The units are running too lean and 'hunting', because the carb is fouled.
X2 on Seafoam! Or three hours work and some toothpicks in the hot sun on field day.

Old & Slow

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReverendCharles wrote:

On new units, they run them as lean as they can and starve for gas.

Is this 'one size fits all' info'?? Has, say for example, Champion, changed the carb on their non Inverter gens?? My Champion C46540 has never had this surge problem. No burps. Of course the Champion may be no more than another labeled brand name. (no patents found on search) I think the engine on my gen came from Lifan? Anyway, I read no complaints about the 'Gold Standand' Honda/Yamaha Inverters and burps (surges) or the Chinese made Kipor and the same probems.

* This post was edited 10/19/11 12:26pm by Old & Slow *

Old & Slow

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/11 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old & Slow wrote:

ReverendCharles wrote:

On new units, they run them as lean as they can and starve for gas.

Is this 'one size fits all' info'?? Has, say for example, Champion, changed the carb on their non Inverter gens?? My Champion C46540 has never had this surge problem. No burps. Of course the Champion may be no more than another labeled brand name. (no patents found on search) I think the engine on my gen came from Lifan? Anyway, I read no complaints about the 'Gold Standand' Honda/Yamaha Inverters and burps (surges) or the Chinese made Kipor and the same probems.

The above applies to cutting off the load first and then turning off the fuel supply for final shut down. I always use the pink stuff in the fuel. Never a problem in near 5 years running.

So how are these new Chinese carbs, that folks say Champion designed by US engineers, having all these problems from the get go?

jasult

Central NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/11 02:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even my true Honda engines that are on my water pumps,pressure washer,Wacker compactor,air compressors all have same carb as Champion generator. I have 6 Honda GX 160 engines on these tools and I pulled carbs apart and are same as Champion Carb side by side who ever makes them

Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

jasult

Central NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/11 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is common with many small carbs from other makes. My Champion 3500 genny is same setup as well.
Most of the surging or having to keep choke on to keep it running is simple clogged ports. Look at this fine video on how to clean the carb.
One thing most overlooked just as this guy in video overlooked is to remove the throttle stop screw and then lift up the PILOT jet that is under it and clean with small tip cleaner or carb brush. The Pilot jet just lifts up with screw driver and then spray every thing out as he shows in video even though he missed lifting up the pilot jet.
Again lifting up the pilot jet is most missed item and requires removing the throttle screw and just lift up the pilot jet

Click and look at #6 and #2

watch video

Old & Slow

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/11 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jasult wrote:

Even my true Honda engines that are on my water pumps,pressure washer,Wacker compactor,air compressors all have same carb as Champion generator. I have 6 Honda GX 160 engines on these tools and I pulled carbs apart and are same as Champion Carb side by side who ever makes them

Well, I can not despute what you say, the thread is: 'Surge fix on Chinese generators'. I'm not reading reports of folks having the 'burps' on their Kipor Chinese gens. If Champion is using a off the shelf carb, well on good, that is, until the Champion 2000i came out. Just don't find any new patents for Champion 2000i and carbs that is 'said to be' designed, from the ground up, by US engineers, as quoted by folks that quote info' from Champion.

Folks like myself, that are not good with fixing carbs are in a heap of 'it' if the carbs on their Chinese generators, go on the bum. Maybe someone will start a mail-in service center. I am able to remove mine with ease.

crankshop1000

se michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/11 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI the fix for the surging problem on my Champion 3500/4000 genny was to remove and clean the hidden pilot jet.You need to remove the "idle" stop screw on top of the carb and gently pry up the black plastic idle jet.The actual jet is a tiny non removable brass piece with a very tiny orifice,I sprayed it with carb cleaner and used compressed air.It just slides into the hole with a little oil on the oring.No need to enlarge any jets or readjust anything else.The "idle adjust screw setting is not really critical, but try to get the screw in the same basic position by counting turns as you remove it.

jasult

Central NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/11 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

glad it worked out, this is very common problem and yet most overlooked

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Surge fix on Chinese generators
Search:   Advanced Search