RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Bad MaxxAir II install from a local dealer...frustrated...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Bad MaxxAir II install from a local dealer...frustrated...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
southpennrailroad

Plum Boro, Pa

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/11 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed mine and as the directions say to screw it to the side of the vents height rails. Never in the roof. Took no more then an hour once I started. Sorry for the job they did to your roof.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/11 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sean Boburk wrote:

Had a couple Maxxair II covers installed at my local RV dealer when I was having some warrantee work done. This last weekend we went up into OK to go camping...when we raised our awning, my wife noticed a nut that fell down. So when we got it home, we put the awning out, and I climbed up on a ladder to see if I could figure out where it came from. When I did this, I saw another up on top where the awning mounts to the TT. I climbed up on the roof, and could not figure out where it came from. Then I thought about us having the vent covers installed a few weeks ago...so I pulled the pins on them and flipped them up to take a look. This is what I found.
I thought it was optional to screw the bracket to the roof, but I thought you were supposed to screw them to the vent shroud...

Nice crooked bracket...

Why is that little hole in the sealant, and does it go through the roof membrane...

Again, no screws in the vent shroud

Looks like a swing and a miss on the first placement. Yes, they put a screw into my roof, and did not reseal it when they moved it.

Took three tries to get this bracket in the right place. Again, does not look like the holes are sealed.

And again...

None of the screws into the vent shroud

I found two washers under one of the vent covers. So I take it the two nuts we found, were some of the hardware they left behind when they did not install them in the covers. I have probable been dropping the rest of the hardware while driving down the road without knowing it.

I guess I should be thankful they left all the hardware up there, or I might not have noticed the holes until I had a leak. I think the covers have kept most of the rain out of them. What kind of sealant do I need?

Sean

That has to be the WORST HACK JOB I have ever seen and SHAME ON THAT DEALER and you should post who they are since NOBODY should ever consider going to that dealer PERIOD. I would be absolutely LIVID over them destroying the integrity of my roof with all the unnecessary holes that now have the potential of leaking at some point in the future.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Gene&Ginny

North Kingstown, RI

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/11 07:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tvman44 wrote:

.... They should have read the install instructions.
You are assuming whoever did that hack job can read! .... or even walk and chew gum at the same time.

Gene and DW Ginny
2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control
Proud member of the Sunline Club

babar445

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/11 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good for you for checking it or that would have been a major and costly repair down the road. I think its sad that that stories like this is becoming more and more common anymore. Common sense is a thing of the past. You are really taking a chance when you take these RV's in for repairs at some of these dealers. It may come back in worse shape than it was before you took it there, and very few of these stories turn out good. I think most of us would do a better job than the "profesionals" if we just do it ourselves anymore. At least most of us care about the work we do and take a little pride in it.

Sean Boburk

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/11 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AtomicChicken wrote:

Are you going to remove the brackets and install them the correct way?

The sealant you need is Dicor Self Leveling sealant.

I guess I need to remove them and look under them for more unsealed holes. Not sure if I should put those screws back in, or just try to seal up their holes. Either way, I plan on getting stainless hardware and installing the shroud screws per the instructions.

Thanks for the link to the sealant, I will see if I can find some local before ordering. I took this week off from work to catch up on other projects around the house. Looks like I will be spending time making this right first.

Sean

2011 Flagstaff 29SKBS
2010 F-150 4x4 5.4L
2011 camping days=23 in 9 locations
2012 camping days=4 in 2 locations

lzasitko

Regina, SK Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/11 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have it back to the dealer and talk to the manager/owner and have it removed and redone the way it was supposed to be done and a complete refund..... if not I would talk to a lawyer.....

billyray50

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/11 10:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is the worst job!! Incomprehensible....I too am on disability at 52...2 neck surgeries and now docs think I need one more. I installed two airmaxx vents myself. The instructions are easy to follow and install was also despite my pain. You need to made whole if not seek legal recourse. Sorry to see this happen to you. Fortunately you discovered this. There is a lot of crappy workmanship in rv industry!! All the best to your camper and your pain.

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/11 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's what I would do since they pierced the roof membrane.... I would remove the hack-job roof vent and all the screws from the roof. I would then remove ALL the roof sealant around that vent and clean the roof surface. After you have a clean surface, I would use Eternabond roof seam tape to seal the flange of the vent. The tape will be wide enough to cover the screw holes they made.

At least with the Eternabond you don't have to worry about the numerous holes an potential leaks.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

sljkansas

Miami Co. Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/11 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sent the pictures to the owner/mgr of the shop, and let him see what was done. He should send a tech (not the one that did this)to you to have it fixed right. don't let them seal over the old calking, make sure the old is cleaned off properly and the resealed. If he cares at all about his business he would make a personal visit to see the work that was done. Also let him know you posted the pictures and others are waiting to see how he handles the situation. If the Mgr won't take care of it, move up the chain of command. Be firm but nice and follow through until it's fixed correctly.

Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/11 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No excuse for the shoddy work. However the lesson to be learned here is NEVER leave the repair facility without checking the work done.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Bad MaxxAir II install from a local dealer...frustrated...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS